GOP critics of Biden's loan forgiveness call it 'astonishingly unfair.' Here's how much college tuition cost at their alma maters when they graduated

A university is, first and foremost, a business. It sells educational services for a price. If someone receives a service from a college or university without paying then someone else has to pay.

Or one of a few good vocations.

In fact, there are many, many high paying careers that don't require a college degree.

In my own career, I obtained a useless BS in Computer Science in 1982. Almost everything I learned in university was outdated before I graduated and my initial and continued employment depended on industry certifications of current technical skills (many of which were outdated within a year or so of obtaining them).

Today, IT personnel are hired on the basis of their industry certification and no one cares where they learned English Lit. They maintain and advance in that career by continuing education and a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, design, or program.

In fact, there are many, many high paying careers that don't require a college degree.

In my own career, I obtained a useless BS in Computer Science in 1982. Almost everything I learned in university was outdated before I graduated and my initial and continued employment depended on industry certifications of current technical skills (many of which were outdated within a year or so of obtaining them).

Today, IT personnel are hired on the basis of their industry certification and no one cares where they learned English Lit. They maintain and advance in that career by continuing education and a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, design, or program.
Fair points boyo.

I paid $650 a year my first semester of College
I paid for it making $2.10 an hour minimum wage

Why we need loan forgiveness
When you went to school, the donators weren't telling the professors to teach White Man Bad.
Yes, the universities are teaching that.

the donators weren't telling the professors to teach White Man Bad.

In fact, they were, at least when I went to high school and uni in the '70s and '80s.

Teacher in high school and profs in university were constantly filling our heads with the sins of our American fathers. Wounded Knee, Jim Crow Segregation, even the humans rights abuses of the Plymouth Rock settlers were center stage in the curriculum.

My professors who protested and tuned out in the '70s ... were all teaching (the only job they could find) in the '80s.

1661648170213.png

It is the easy availability of student loan money that pushed tuition up so fast. It certainly isnt' the increasing quality of the education.

Earlier this week, Sen. Elizabeth Warren called out Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell for calling the policy "astonishingly unfair," noting school cost under $400 a year when he graduated from who graduated from the University of Louisville in 1964.

McConnell called President Biden's student loan forgiveness "a slap in the face to every family who sacrificed to save for college, every graduate who paid their debt, and every American who chose a certain career path or volunteered to serve in our Armed Forces in order to avoid taking on debt."

Ummmmm......the Dems have been throwing trillions of dollars at college tuition and now it's less affordable?

Does Elizabeth Warren know about this?

Born in Kenya Barack, world's greatest Predator Lender! He got young people into trillion of student loan debt.

In fact, they were, at least when I went to high school and uni in the '70s and '80s.

Teacher in high school and profs in university were constantly filling our heads with the sins of our American fathers. Wounded Knee, Jim Crow Segregation, even the humans rights abuses of the Plymouth Rock settlers were center stage in the curriculum.

My professors who protested and tuned out in the '70s ... were all teaching (the only job they could find) in the '80s.
I went to Yeshiva so I was spared.

Brandon's program here will cause tuition prices to accelerate even more.

Students will feel a lot better about borrowing the max with the idea that their debt will be forgiven as well.

That additional loan money being sent will give the schools pricing power as the students will have more money that can only be spent on school.

Sort of like the result of Biden's EV tax credit- auto makers are raising the prices to take advantage of the credit.

There are billions and billions and billions of dollars floating out there. Anyone who doesn't believe colleges will raise tuitions in order to get a piece of it are either retards or contrarians.

I know the argument you are attempting to make, but it fails when confronted with the reality. 20 years ago, a Pell grant covered over 80% of the cost of tuition. Today, it barely gets past 30%. The problem is not the loans, the problem is the fact that responsibility for the funding of a higher education has shifted from the government to private hands. Now it is little more than a bidding war. In North Carolina, a college education is supposed to be free, "as far as practicable", per the state constitution. Biden's order will eliminate $66,000 of debt for my family and everyone graduated from a state school--it should have been free.
she. has it shifted from the goby to private hands?

Forum List

Back