GOP candidates to boycott Univision debate

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This should be interesting.

Five Republican presidential candidates are boycotting a proposed Univision debate because of allegations that the Spanish-language media giant tried to strong-arm Sen. Marco Rubio with a controversial story about a relative.

Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Michele Bachmann all issued statements Tuesday saying that Univision needs to make amends before they would appear at the debate, tentatively scheduled for two days before Florida's Jan. 31 primary.

Five Republican presidential candidates boycott Univision debate - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Five Republican presidential candidates are boycotting a proposed Univision debate because of allegations that the Spanish-language media giant tried to strong-arm Sen. Marco Rubio with a controversial story about a relative.

Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Michele Bachmann all issued statements Tuesday saying that Univision needs to make amends before they would appear at the debate, tentatively scheduled for two days before Florida's Jan. 31 primary.

Five Republican presidential candidates boycott Univision debate - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Four GOP presidential candidates to boycott Univision debate in Rubio kerfuffle - BostonHerald.com

Another link, additional information:

The four made their separate announcements throughout the day at the behest of three Florida Latino Republican lawmakers who noted that Rubio’s office and Univision insiders said the network publicized an embarrassing story about the senator’s brother-in-law because Rubio wouldn’t sit down for an interview on the show "Al Punto," which has espoused a liberal line on the hot topic of immigration.

There's no there there in the linked story IMO.

Doing the math and whatnot, Rubio was 16 when the guy was arrested in '87. Ten years later Rubio married the guy's sister. There's no indication he even knew his future wife in '87, so what's the big deal? And more importantly why is it now something to be included in the news cycle?

Also from the link
As frustration with Rubio mounted among Univision's higher-ups, the network's new investigations team began looking into the drug arrest of his brother-in-law, Orlando Cicilia, in 1987, when Rubio was 16.

Three of Rubio's friends and political allies — U.S. Rep. David Rivera, state House leader Carlos Lopez-Cantera, and Miami-Dade Republican Chairman Erik Fresen — called for the Univision boycott in a letter Monday to the Republican National Committee

Interesting story. At one level news is news. But how does the fate of one drug bust 23 years ago rate as news? It might be interesting if it were Rubio's drug bust. But his brother in law's? What other news are they going to dig up? That is grandpa spent time in jail for sedition against Batista? If that were the case, would that be relavant?

If this is the worst they got on Rubio they really need to give up.

Also from the link
As frustration with Rubio mounted among Univision's higher-ups, the network's new investigations team began looking into the drug arrest of his brother-in-law, Orlando Cicilia, in 1987, when Rubio was 16.

Three of Rubio's friends and political allies — U.S. Rep. David Rivera, state House leader Carlos Lopez-Cantera, and Miami-Dade Republican Chairman Erik Fresen — called for the Univision boycott in a letter Monday to the Republican National Committee

Interesting story. At one level news is news. But how does the fate of one drug bust 23 years ago rate as news? It might be interesting if it were Rubio's drug bust. But his brother in law's? What other news are they going to dig up? That is grandpa spent time in jail for sedition against Batista? If that were the case, would that be relavant?

Yeah it does seem univision was acting a bit vengeful over the whole thing doesn't it?

No wonder the republican lawmakers in florida asked the GOP presidential canidates to not participate in a Univision event.

All you got to do is wait and the repubs always do themselves in. No way they can get a lot of votes w/o the Hispanics

Doing the math and whatnot, Rubio was 16 when the guy was arrested in '87. Ten years later Rubio married the guy's sister. There's no indication he even knew his future wife in '87, so what's the big deal? And more importantly why is it now something to be included in the news cycle?
Because boycotting Univision is kind of a big deal.

All you got to do is wait and the repubs always do themselves in. No way they can get a lot of votes w/o the Hispanics

In what way have they 'done themselves in'?

The way I understand this, the station tried to 'blackmail' Rubio into an interview by threatening to 'expose' something about his brother in law - which happened decades before Rubio married into the family.

So, the candidates are refusing to participate because of that behavior. That doesn't seem like 'doing themselves in', it seems more like acting honorably and standing up for their colleague.

And demonstrates some courage, in my opinion.

I don't know about that. I have no idea if Univision tried to strong arm Rubio.

I'm curious to know why Rubio was afraid to go on their network as as far as I can tell, Univision is sympathetic to Republicans.

Also from the link

Was it as interesting as Obama's uncle getting busted for Drunk driving?

How about Bill Ayers?

How about the good Reverend Wright?

Hey..you guys wanted to go down this route of guilt by association.

Well here come the chickens you hatched.

Like it much?

Also from the link

How about Bill Ayers?

Like it much?

Little different scenario there S.

Last I heard no one tried to strong arm anyone into giving any interviews about the above.

Also from the link

How about Bill Ayers?

Like it much?

Last I heard no one tried to strong arm anyone into giving any interviews about the above.

What?

Seriously?

Obama was interviewed on FOX. Several times. And mainly because of criticism that he wasn't giving them equal time.

Rubio can avoid Univision at his own peril.

Lots of Hispanics tune in.

How about Bill Ayers?

Like it much?

What?

Seriously?

Obama was interviewed on FOX. Several times. And mainly because of criticism that he wasn't giving them equal time.

Rubio can avoid Univision at his own peril.

Lots of Hispanics tune in.

Obama was interviewed about his drunk ass uncle?

Four GOP presidential candidates to boycott Univision debate in Rubio kerfuffle - BostonHerald.com

The four made their separate announcements throughout the day at the behest of three Florida Latino Republican lawmakers who noted that Rubio’s office and Univision insiders said the network publicized an embarrassing story about the senator’s brother-in-law because Rubio wouldn’t sit down for an interview on the show "Al Punto," which has espoused a liberal line on the hot topic of immigration.

Univision is hardly liberal. Same with hispanics. But they do care about making immigration easier for other hispanics. They probably want the same deal Cubans have.

:lol:

Good luck with that, eh?

I'm curious to know why Rubio was afraid to go on their network as as far as I can tell, Univision is sympathetic to Republicans.

now you know they did ;)

Univision is hardly liberal. Same with hispanics. But they do care about making immigration easier for other hispanics. They probably want the same deal Cubans have.

:lol:

Good luck with that, eh?

That univision show, Al Punto, is pushing for amnestey for those that immigrate here illegally. I wish they were pushing for an easier system to allow legal immigration, which I think we need, but they are pushing for the legalization of criminal behavior on that specific show which is at the crux of the story in this thread.

now you know they did ;)

Actually, we don't 'know'. We have allegations. I see no reason why anyone would make those allegations up.... And I am inclined to go with the facts as presented.... mainly because every time I don't, some whiny assed poster complains about it.

If the story as presented is true, then I respect each of the candidates who is refusing to participate.

Forum List

Back