Good OLD movies.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
The Gods Must Be Crazy. I saw it long ago and loved it. I went to youtube to see if it was there and yep...quite a few people have uploaded it. Just find the one that has the best viewing cuz some suck.

Great flick!

I love this movie.

51DYT54SR4L.jpg

Wow, I thought you meant OLD movies. The Gods Must Be Crazy isn't really an OLD movie to me, but I guess it's a matter of perspective. One of my favorites from that era is The Jerk with Steve Martin.

From the 60s, one of my favorites is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. You get to see all the greatest comedians of that era and it's a fun story. Vertigo with James Stewart is my favorite 'serious' old movie. And my favorite REALLY old movie is Grapes of Wrath.

Now... If "old" means not recent... There are a ton of movies I like to watch and could watch a million times and never get tired of them. Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski and a quirky little offbeat movie with all three of the Wilson brothers called Bottle Rocket. Oh... and anything with Clint Eastwood.

One more to mention that I missed previously is a movie from the 50s by Lucy and Ricky Ricardo.. The Long, Long Trailer.

Old movies, Boss. Yes, it's a matter of perspective I guess.

meanwhile....mad mad mad world was funny. So was long long trailer. And I liked the parent trap with hayley mills.

Not sure what you guys call "old".

Casablanca is probably the best movie ever made. Not sure there is a better scene in all of cinema than Paul Henreid leading the band in La Marseillaise.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is likely a close second. There are a couple of "throw away" scenes in it that keep it from being the best ever.
The Magnificent Seven is likely the best western ever made. With a cast like that, it could have easily been a disappointment. They all shine.

Not sure if musicals are your thing but I think that Grease is probably not given enough credit for delivering joy for two hours. Stupid ending though.

Movies from this era that should not be overlooked are:
Unhook the Stars with Gena Rowlands, Moria Kelly and Marissa Tomei
Rachel Getting Married with Anne Hathaway.
Crash with Don Cheadle, Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, and a cast of thousands.....
Heat with Deniro, Pacino, Kilmer, Sizemore, Azaria, Ashley Judd, David Fincher, Jon Voight, Tone Loc, Mikelty Johnson; gripping, gritty, and gorgeous.

I was watching an old John Wayne movie last night (bought a 20 movie CD box) I didn't realize most were made in the 30s I thought he came along in the 40s ..

The John Wayne version of "The Alamo". Also has kick-ass soundtrack.
"Little Shop of Horrors"
"The Blob"

Last edited:
Bridge on the River Kwai.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

To Kill a Mockingbird.

The Wizard of Oz.

Miracle on 34th Street.

It's a Wonderful Life.

12 Angry Men.

Psycho

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The Great Dictator

Citizen Kane

Vertigo

Lawrence of Arabia

Singin' in the Rain

Some Like It Hot

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

The Seventh Seal

A bit crazy but I have a pet great movie, in it's own right, in the category of spaghetti western...

A Fistful of Dynamite, with James Coburn and Rod Steiger. Sometimes, unfortunately, entitled 'duck you sucker'.

Watch it, judge it only in the context of its genre...

It Happened One Night
Gone with the Wind
The Bells of St. Mary's
(all chick films--sorry)

Forum List

Back