Good news...more guns sold in California in 2014...gun murder rate down, gun accident rate down...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So....sadly for the anti gunners, and good news for those who support the right to self defense.....more guns have been sold in California in 2014, and both the gun murder rate and the gun accident rate have gone down....not up.....

So, guns don't increase crime, and they don't increase gun accidents.......even in California....

CA Handgun Sales Skyrocket Gun-Related Homicides Plummet

Handgun sales in California broke a 21-year-old record in 2014, and at the same time, firearm-related murders fell to their lowest rate in over 20 years.

Moreover, accidental gun deaths decreased as well.

According to The Sacramento Bee, a record-breaking 510,000 handguns were sold in the state of California in 2014, easily breaking the previous record of 433,000 handguns sold in 1993. The rise in handgun sales reflects a national surge that was the result of “calls for more gun control in respo
nse to several mass shootings.”

a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study showing that an increasing rate of private gun ownership nationally, over a 15-year period, correlated with a sharply declining “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate.

During the CRS study period, Americans went from owning 192 million guns in 1994 to owning 310 million guns in 2009. At the same time, the “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate fell from 6.6 per 100,000 Americans in 1993 to 3.6 per 100,000 in 2000 and finally to 3.2 in 2011.

Sooo...I guess all those people saying guns are the problem are wrong.....again.....

So....sadly for the anti gunners, and good news for those who support the right to self defense.....more guns have been sold in California in 2014, and both the gun murder rate and the gun accident rate have gone down....not up.....

So, guns don't increase crime, and they don't increase gun accidents.......even in California....

Handgun sales in California broke a 21-year-old record in 2014, and at the same time, firearm-related murders fell to their lowest rate in over 20 years.

According to The Sacramento Bee, a record-breaking 510,000 handguns were sold in the state of California in 2014, easily breaking the previous record of 433,000 handguns sold in 1993. The rise in handgun sales reflects a national surge that was the result of “calls for more gun control in respo

a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study showing that an increasing rate of private gun ownership nationally, over a 15-year period, correlated with a sharply declining “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate.

During the CRS study period, Americans went from owning 192 million guns in 1994 to owning 310 million guns in 2009. At the same time, the “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate fell from 6.6 per 100,000 Americans in 1993 to 3.6 per 100,000 in 2000 and finally to 3.2 in 2011.

Sooo...I guess all those people saying guns are the problem are wrong.....again.....

While I agree they don't increase crime I'm not sure your can say accidents. Gun sales are to all the same gun owners, not first time gun owners. Ownership is down so accidents are going down. The guy with 30 guns is no more likely to have an accident than the guy with one gun. But 100 gun owners are more likely to have an accident than 10.

While I agree they don't increase crime I'm not sure your can say accidents. Gun sales are to all the same gun owners, not first time gun owners. Ownership is down so accidents are going down. The guy with 30 guns is no more likely to have an accident than the guy with one gun. But 100 gun owners are more likely to have an accident than 10.

Brain...this is just the state of California......a record year of gun sales, and the gun accident rate went down...and gun ownership is not down.....that survey you keep citing was done by phone...by a guy intentionally looking to sway the debate against guns........

The story directly from the Sacramento Bee....

More handguns sold in California in 2014 than during any other year on record The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Gun sales have increased dramatically nationwide and in California during the last few years following calls for more gun control in response to several mass shootings.

The rate of California homicides involving firearms continues to fall and is now at its lowest level in more than 20 years, state health figures show. The number of accidental deaths involving guns have also fallen.

Brain...this is just the state of California......a record year of gun sales, and the gun accident rate went down...and gun ownership is not down.....that survey you keep citing was done by phone...by a guy intentionally looking to sway the debate against guns........

If ownership was up ranges would be doing great business, they are shrinking because ownership is down.
Shooting Ranges in the US Market Research IBISWorld

You have never given any evidence that it is up, surveys disagree with you.

You know that Brain knows he lies -- right?

Yeah...Brain has some issues...but he seems to be a nice enough poster...compared to some of the others here on U.S.........

Here is an analysis of one of those so called surveys....

Problems with using the General Social Survey to measure gun ownership - Crime Prevention Research Center

Yet, the GSS survey shows a large drop that you don’t see in many other surveys. According to Gallup, in October 2011, they wrote: “At 47%, reported gun ownership is the highest it has been in nearly two decades — a finding that may be related to Americans’ dampened support for gun-control laws.” Here is the Gallup survey data since 1991.

One measure is to look at licensed gun owners, though there have only been a few states that have licenses and haven’t changed the rules for getting the permits. Most notable is the state of Illinois. Over the last six years the GSS survey implies that legal gun ownership has fallen in Illinois, but FOID cards, which are necessary to legally own a gun, have been rising.

And the author of this study and his ties to a rabid anti gun foundation....

The GSS survey has raised concerns for some time. Here is something that John Lott wrote in his 2003 book The Bias Against Guns.

A few years ago, while I was doing research at the University of Chicago, I had lunch with Tom Smith, who is the director of the General Social Survey at the National Opinion Research Center (NORC). This private organization conducts many important national surveys for the government as well as other clients. During lunch Tom mentioned how important he thought the General Social Survey was. He felt the large drop in gun ownership implied by his survey would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations. His surveys have traditionally shown one of the lowest gun ownership rates among any of the surveys: for example, almost 20 percentage points lower than recent polling by John Zogby. . . .

Tom Smith is still the director of the GSS. It is interesting to note that both the JAMA study this week as well as Tom Smith have received funding from the Joyce Foundation, which is well known for its gun control advocacy (or see here). This discussion is definitely not saying that the Joyce Foundation funding altered their views, but just that Joyce knows the individuals who are on their side of the debate.

Last edited:

The gun range industry is shrinking and surveys say it is down. I've never seen any evidence ownership is up. My personal experience is that it is down also.

The gun range industry isn't an indicator.......there are too many people who own guns but don't shoot regularly.....and you need people to shoot often to keep a range open...otherwise you get a few ranges with more business....

And another thing....getting a range open in the first place is a gauntlet of anti gun pressure groups blocking your every move......

The gun range industry is shrinking and surveys say it is down. I've never seen any evidence ownership is up. My personal experience is that it is down also.

The gun range industry isn't an indicator.......there are too many people who own guns but don't shoot regularly.....and you need people to shoot often to keep a range open...otherwise you get a few ranges with more business....

It is a great indicator. The guy with 30 guns still only uses one lane. They need more new owners which isn't happening. You still have provided no evidence it is up. While you want it to be up, evidence suggests the opposite.

I have a buddy who own a private gun manufacturing company that sells nationwide, and I assure you sales are UP, way UP.

I have a buddy who own a private gun manufacturing company that sells nationwide, and I assure you sales are UP, way UP.

Yes sales are up. Just not to new owners. It's the same people buying more guns, not new owners.

Yes sales are up. Just not to new owners. It's the same people buying more guns, not new owners.

and you know this how

That is anti gun talking points.......and with the ranges.....there are more ranges opening here in Illinois....but one range can cover a lot of territory and a lot of occasional shooters...

Forum List

Back