Gone keto. Anyone else out there in USMB land?

Which proves the point made earlier. Some people just follow fads and do stupid shit. That does NOT invalidate the entire science behind the diet.

Besides, a better source of energy is medium chain triglycerides, or MCT.

Medium-chain triglyceride - Wikipedia

I put a capful in My morning coffee. Has zero taste and gives a boost to the ketone burning machine.

I never said it did did I?

Keto has its place but in reality so does every other diet.

I'm more of the school that we evolved to eat what the planet gives us.

So anything that grows and is eaten in its unprocessed state is fair game.
The food pyramid is retarded. White potatoes are grown, the orange ones are far superior in your diet. There's no one size fits all, "hey balance stuff gazz!"

I never said anything about the food pyramid.

I don't consume any dairy, or refined grains or processed sugars and I don't eat cultivated potatoes or other starchy cultivated veg,

And what the keto freaks forget is that there is no one size fits all what does work is a balanced diet where moderation is practiced
There's no freaks, and a "balanced" diet is subjective - it's per the person and their genetics.

Genetics don't vary as much as people like to think.
according to what?

I never said it did did I?

Keto has its place but in reality so does every other diet.

I'm more of the school that we evolved to eat what the planet gives us.

So anything that grows and is eaten in its unprocessed state is fair game.
The food pyramid is retarded. White potatoes are grown, the orange ones are far superior in your diet. There's no one size fits all, "hey balance stuff gazz!"

I don't consume any dairy, or refined grains or processed sugars and I don't eat cultivated potatoes or other starchy cultivated veg,

And what the keto freaks forget is that there is no one size fits all what does work is a balanced diet where moderation is practiced
There's no freaks, and a "balanced" diet is subjective - it's per the person and their genetics.

according to what?

https://www.ashg.org/education/pdf/geneticvariation.pdf

Perhaps the most widely cited statistic about human genetic diversity is that any two humans differ, on average, at about 1 in 1,000 DNA base pairs (0.1%). Human genetic diversity is substantially lower than that of many other species,

according to what?

Perhaps the most widely cited statistic about human genetic diversity is that any two humans differ, on average, at about 1 in 1,000 DNA base pairs (0.1%). Human genetic diversity is substantially lower than that of many other species,
That paper doesn't speak on diet.....our diets vary mostly based on regional ancestry. You can find out where your family was a few generations ago, and have a pretty decent intuition over what foods will affect you best.

It's like the husband and wife Doctor pair that I mentioned earlier. Lineal adaptation is a part of evolution.

according to what?

Dont underestimate the difference, even small numbers can produce.
Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds
Humans, and chimps share 96% of the same DNA. And the differences could hardly be more profound. That’s a mere 4%...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: GT
Keto has become all about pissing on a stick and getting a dark purple reading
Only for those who fear change, believe the lies told them about fats, and want to have everyone one do as they do.

The rest of us understand that checking ketones in urine is a test to ensure that the carb intake is indeed low enough to start the process. We also understand that after time, ketones in urine drop dramatically while remaining in ketosis and that there are other ways to ensure you have not dropped out.

The chief one being a blood sugar test through an inexpensive meter.

The recommendation by many doctors is that people who are insulin sensitive should be checking their blood sugar often and that plays right into a healthy lifestyle. People should check their BP at least weekly too, but hey, some people won't be told.
Thanks for your posts on this. Science always trumps peoples' hard-headed ego approach.

In my experience/research with Nutrition, one size fits all diets are generally not advisable. This is due to lineage, it seems like.

Somewhat of a keto w. only certain fruits would probably be the best general guideline.

For me personally, I abstain from any carbohydrate 6 days a week. My blood tests are pretty amazing.

For others - like I said it depends on their ancestry. There's this one husband and wife couple that study blood and gut micro-biomes, and when the husband has any carbs his insulin levels go bonkers whereas for the wife, they barely change and this is with controls on all other dietary factors. They monitor and mirror each others' food intake and adjust for body mass, in-terms of quantity. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

There's another couple that's been on an all carnivore diet for over 20 years and all of their health metrics are perfect. That's anecdotal, I'd never try it. Crazy, though!
There is a doctor out there -- can't recall his name off the top of My head -- that was a keto proponent who when fully carnivore. He claims all of his health and blood markers (with the exception of cholesterol) are textbook.

I found his statements about his cholesterol interesting in that the thinking on how your body gets cholesterol from food has been moving decidedly away from it being a red flag. Science is now thinking that the body makes 90% of its cholesterol and that only 10% comes from diet.

Anyway, he said that his cholesterol levels were in the range of 300 or something like that.

For Me, I am insulin sensitive (comes from a lifetime of drinking beer and eating to much), and the keto regime is the perfect way to get My borderline diabetes in check.

I've just recently started this diet, so I'll be watching the markers to be sure things are going well. I always do a lot of reserch before jumping in to something.
I'm years and years deep, we can call it "balls deep" into the research and experimentation. If you ever had any questions, hollar.

I started before any of this was a fad - back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of following any diet, I monitored my "fullness" and sluggishness after meals and discovered that lean meats and greens worked best for my body. The low-carb fad happened after I already knew about this shit, and the whirlwind of dumb-assery that followed really pissed me off.

There's the hard heads that just say "balance," that don't realize that a single sniff of a slice of bread for some folks makes them gain 45lbs just looking at it. There IS NO one size fits all, and different comboes of foods make different bodies react in different ways. This seems to be the missing link.

Then, there's the other extremists who start to yo-yo and have no self control. Gain lose/gain lose, ad infinitum.

The keto thing is an easier approach than what I do, because the fats replace the fullness that the lack of carbs creates a vacuum for. Still, personally, I stick to way below the recommended keto amount of fat because the caloric intake seems to mitigate the speed of the fat loss.

I have tons and tons of little hacks of flavor that satiate cravings while maintaining the regimen. A friend and I have been kicking ideas back and forth for years, it really helps and it's pretty fun, too.
Of course, low carbs has not been a secret to the weight lifting community, as they know that going low carb get them the 'shredded' look they are out to achieve.

I tend to work long hours on a per shift basis, so convenience has always been a big factor with Me. That makes it difficult to stick to any kind of diet when on the run 14 hours a day. So I'm still in the 'feeling My way' stage of meal preps on My days off. The difficulty is trying to find a balance where I can make enough meals ahead of time that they won't start to go bad or just become disgusting by the third day out from their prep. I've moved to do some crockpot recipes and I was gifted an 'Instant Pot' last Christmas. That thing is amazing. I can do a weeks worth of food in under 12 minutes! I have a low carb chili that is pretty good.

The most amazing part so far is how easy the 16/8 fasting scheme works. I really don't start to feel hungry until about 15 hours after My last meal and that is a tell-tale sign that it is working.

I can spell, honest. lol edited to correct spelling.

I've done the keto in the past when I was in the military and working out heavy, with an on/off schedule.

Slipping back into it lately. A big part is I don't like eating out so I can tell the wife they don't serve anything I can readily eat. lol

But the fasting part for me has worked. I am not usually a big breakfast guy anyways and work early, so lunch at 11 and dinner at 4 or so with a snack around 6 or 7 is all I go with.

Not trying to diet per say but I've seen some lbs fall off lately. Which is nice that I don't really have to make a big change for it.

Past Paleo. Whoa geeze. Costing a fortune initially but I think its worth it. At least my local food bank just got the benefits of my pantry.
Yes. Keto is best used in combination with intermittent fasting...
You obviously don't know jack shit about nutrition or body chemistry. Like all restrictive fad diets, the keto diet is an unbalanced diet that causes malnutrition. And the keto diet is one that can make you sick the quickest.

Combined with fasting, it would be even worse. I'd even say dangerous, especially to children, the elderly, and people who are already in generally poor health to begin with.

Last edited:
Only for those who fear change, believe the lies told them about fats, and want to have everyone one do as they do.

The rest of us understand that checking ketones in urine is a test to ensure that the carb intake is indeed low enough to start the process. We also understand that after time, ketones in urine drop dramatically while remaining in ketosis and that there are other ways to ensure you have not dropped out.

The chief one being a blood sugar test through an inexpensive meter.

The recommendation by many doctors is that people who are insulin sensitive should be checking their blood sugar often and that plays right into a healthy lifestyle. People should check their BP at least weekly too, but hey, some people won't be told.
Thanks for your posts on this. Science always trumps peoples' hard-headed ego approach.

In my experience/research with Nutrition, one size fits all diets are generally not advisable. This is due to lineage, it seems like.

Somewhat of a keto w. only certain fruits would probably be the best general guideline.

For me personally, I abstain from any carbohydrate 6 days a week. My blood tests are pretty amazing.

For others - like I said it depends on their ancestry. There's this one husband and wife couple that study blood and gut micro-biomes, and when the husband has any carbs his insulin levels go bonkers whereas for the wife, they barely change and this is with controls on all other dietary factors. They monitor and mirror each others' food intake and adjust for body mass, in-terms of quantity. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

There's another couple that's been on an all carnivore diet for over 20 years and all of their health metrics are perfect. That's anecdotal, I'd never try it. Crazy, though!
There is a doctor out there -- can't recall his name off the top of My head -- that was a keto proponent who when fully carnivore. He claims all of his health and blood markers (with the exception of cholesterol) are textbook.

I found his statements about his cholesterol interesting in that the thinking on how your body gets cholesterol from food has been moving decidedly away from it being a red flag. Science is now thinking that the body makes 90% of its cholesterol and that only 10% comes from diet.

Anyway, he said that his cholesterol levels were in the range of 300 or something like that.

For Me, I am insulin sensitive (comes from a lifetime of drinking beer and eating to much), and the keto regime is the perfect way to get My borderline diabetes in check.

I've just recently started this diet, so I'll be watching the markers to be sure things are going well. I always do a lot of reserch before jumping in to something.
I'm years and years deep, we can call it "balls deep" into the research and experimentation. If you ever had any questions, hollar.

I started before any of this was a fad - back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of following any diet, I monitored my "fullness" and sluggishness after meals and discovered that lean meats and greens worked best for my body. The low-carb fad happened after I already knew about this shit, and the whirlwind of dumb-assery that followed really pissed me off.

There's the hard heads that just say "balance," that don't realize that a single sniff of a slice of bread for some folks makes them gain 45lbs just looking at it. There IS NO one size fits all, and different comboes of foods make different bodies react in different ways. This seems to be the missing link.

Then, there's the other extremists who start to yo-yo and have no self control. Gain lose/gain lose, ad infinitum.

The keto thing is an easier approach than what I do, because the fats replace the fullness that the lack of carbs creates a vacuum for. Still, personally, I stick to way below the recommended keto amount of fat because the caloric intake seems to mitigate the speed of the fat loss.

I have tons and tons of little hacks of flavor that satiate cravings while maintaining the regimen. A friend and I have been kicking ideas back and forth for years, it really helps and it's pretty fun, too.
Of course, low carbs has not been a secret to the weight lifting community, as they know that going low carb get them the 'shredded' look they are out to achieve.

I tend to work long hours on a per shift basis, so convenience has always been a big factor with Me. That makes it difficult to stick to any kind of diet when on the run 14 hours a day. So I'm still in the 'feeling My way' stage of meal preps on My days off. The difficulty is trying to find a balance where I can make enough meals ahead of time that they won't start to go bad or just become disgusting by the third day out from their prep. I've moved to do some crockpot recipes and I was gifted an 'Instant Pot' last Christmas. That thing is amazing. I can do a weeks worth of food in under 12 minutes! I have a low carb chili that is pretty good.

The most amazing part so far is how easy the 16/8 fasting scheme works. I really don't start to feel hungry until about 15 hours after My last meal and that is a tell-tale sign that it is working.

I can spell, honest. lol edited to correct spelling.

I've done the keto in the past when I was in the military and working out heavy, with an on/off schedule.

Slipping back into it lately. A big part is I don't like eating out so I can tell the wife they don't serve anything I can readily eat. lol

But the fasting part for me has worked. I am not usually a big breakfast guy anyways and work early, so lunch at 11 and dinner at 4 or so with a snack around 6 or 7 is all I go with.

Not trying to diet per say but I've seen some lbs fall off lately. Which is nice that I don't really have to make a big change for it.
Yeah the fasting part is easy and natural for me as well - I never really bothered with breakfast anyhow so its like par for the course, except for like the last 2-hours where I get hungry...and those are when I work out, usually.

Past Paleo. Whoa geeze. Costing a fortune initially but I think its worth it. At least my local food bank just got the benefits of my pantry.
Yes. Keto is best used in combination with intermittent fasting...
You obviously don't know jack shit about nutrition or body chemistry. Like all restrictive fad diets, the keto diet is an unbalanced diet that causes malnutrition. And the keto diet is one that can make you sick the quickest.

Combined with fasting, it would be even worse. I'd even say dangerous, especially to children, the elderly, and people who are already in generally poor health to begin with.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ironic post of the day...

I'm doing it to control blood sugar. Works too.
There are lots of benefits. There are some drawbacks too though...

Such as-?

Keto 'flu.

Search for 'purio pigmentosa' (aka keto rash) on google images.

There's also keto constipation and keto diarrhea.

And in women, keto crotch.

There's also been deaths caused by the keto diet.

Sudden cardiac death in association with the ketogenic diet. - PubMed - NCBI

Forum List

Back