Golden asteroid

I understand what the video is saying. if we mine too much gold then it loses value. But mining in space is a wonderful opportunity. Someone will do it i think. www.youtube.com/watch?v=64TXV2Nre4Q

Any gold demand in space would be for in space applications, just going up to get it to bring it down would be cost ineffective.

Now once inter-planetary/asteroidal/moon transport and economy is established it would be easier to go get it out there than come back to earth for it.

The biggest resource out there is metallic iron ... that's quite rare in nature on Earth's surface ... as M'Began posted, something we desperately need in space ...

Velocity is a major problem ... an asteroid in the belt area has to be accelerated to double it's speed just the match Earth's speed ... that's a hell of a lot of rocket fuel ...

The biggest resource out there is metallic iron ... that's quite rare in nature on Earth's surface ... as M'Began posted, something we desperately need in space ...

Velocity is a major problem ... an asteroid in the belt area has to be accelerated to double it's speed just the match Earth's speed ... that's a hell of a lot of rocket fuel ...

How far do you think we are from being able to do it?

How far do you think we are from being able to do it?

Wow ... personally I think we'll never do this ... this will never be economical ... the technologies required would be used here on Earth first ... and thus eliminate the need to go out into space to get anything ... there's nothing out there that we don't have here on Earth ... the gold you mention in the OP has some useful properties ... but by the time we can build fussion engines, we'll have developed a suitable alternative to gold ... or just spin straw, that's would be easier than mining an asteroid ...

My understanding is that gold nuggets require the circulation of water to come about ... something absent on asteroids ... the gold there would be spread evenly about the mass in minute concentrations ... mining and processing would need a small factory, energy, fuel, shielding from radiation ... too much for just hair clips ...

Forum List

Back