Going to Iceland

Booked tickets to Iceland for early September. Will spend a little over a week there. Haven't been so looking forward to it.
Nice.

It's a beautiful country. Different to what you're probably used to (I assume).

Was going to say it's very expensive. It will work out around 15-dollars a beer and food is very expensive too but there's plenty places in USA like that too - Manhattan, Boston, Seattle, San Fran etc.

It was my Grans funeral recently and I heard a wonderful story from the Minister taking the service regards Iceland that I had never heard before.

My Father and his Girlfriend went a long-weekend break to Iceland. They decided to get on a bus one of the days to go and see a few places.

About half an hour into the bus ride, this Icelandic woman got aboard the bus some little village middle of nowhere.

She was sitting next to my Dad and his girlfriend on the bus and they got speaking to each other.

She asked my Dad where about in Scotland he was from and he said "Dumbarton" and the woman said to him "Oh do you know Mrs (my Grans surname)" and my Dad was just like "yeah that's my Mum"

lol small world - apparently my Gran visited Iceland many years ago and they met up over there and become friends.

An interesting choice of country.

I saw a special where there were about 100 people in a pool outside in the freezing cold drinking beer. It apparently is a custom or at least customary recreational activity.

A small, quaint nation that has seen it's currency decline in value relative to the U.S dollar in recent years, which is good news for you.

An interesting choice of country.

I saw a special where there were about 100 people in a pool outside in the freezing cold drinking beer. It apparently is a custom or at least customary recreational activity.

A small, quaint nation that has seen it's currency decline in value relative to the U.S dollar in recent years, which is good news for you.

Yeah, it's 1 krona to .008 American dollars

In iceland, when a volcano erupts, everyone heads over to warm themselves by the lava.

(Yes, it's very slow moving lava in this photo.)

4249.jpg

If you have the time you should visit Vatnajökull National Park. It’s positively breathtaking.

Look for restaurants frequented by locals. Food is far less expensive; portions generous and menu is authentically Icelandic. Touristy places are cute; portions are small; menu is typically "international". Generally a rip-off.

Have taken several bus tours to outlying attractions and haven't found a bad one ever.

Airport terminal was being improved last I was there there but conditions inside were horrible. Less room per person than in The Black Hole of Calcutta. Line for cafeteria was about 2-hours long so there often was a choice to be made of getting something to eat or catching your connecting flight. but not both.

Nice people; pretty country. Excellent value if you use Icelanair's "stop over" option when traveling on to London or some place in the communist block cleverly disguised as "The European Union".

I took a personal tour across the lava fields.

Magical to see the summer solstice.

The gales are overwhelming, even in summer.

What else? Whale watching, bathing in the Blue Lagoon. (heaven on earth)

The Danes still seem to be running things there.

Forum List

Back