Going out of the grid

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
I've always dreamed of moving out of the city, and building/buying a log cabin in the woods in the north, and living off the grid. Would definitely need solar panels and many other amenities. Including internet.

Otherwise, it would be kind of like living a hermit life, outside of going out for necessities. Like toilet paper.

But the rest, like hunting, fishing, foraging, I can do on my own. Does this appeal to anybody? It's very appealing to me.

It's not that I don't like people, I just like being a lone wolf. Just wondering if I'm crazy or not... :)

I like the idea.

It is tougher than most people think to be completely off the grid though.
In all honesty I think i could get by just fine without the internet as long as I have my guitar

I am fortunate enough to have open access to a 120 year old family cabin that sits on 600 acres surrounded on three sides by a state park and a wildlife reserve. I go as often as I can, and it is a glimpse of what it would be like to live off the grid in the wilderness. I’ll just say this, you will spend a hell of a lot of time cutting and splitting wood just to heat your cabin and cook your food.

• Thanks
Reactions: RWS
I am fortunate enough to have open access to a 120 year old family cabin that sits on 600 acres surrounded on three sides by a state park and a wildlife reserve. I go as often as I can, and it is a glimpse of what it would be like to live off the grid in the wilderness. I’ll just say this, you will spend a hell of a lot of time cutting and splitting wood just to heat your cabin and cook your food.

There is always the option for propane to use in the summer...…..while you're cutting & splitting enough wood to keep you thru the winter...

• Thanks
Man, where is that one fantastic video of a guy that lives off the land and is a state representative?

He has some acres..50 or more. Built his house from things on his land.

I've always dreamed of moving out of the city, and building/buying a log cabin in the woods in the north, and living off the grid. Would definitely need solar panels and many other amenities. Including internet.

Otherwise, it would be kind of like living a hermit life, outside of going out for necessities. Like toilet paper.

But the rest, like hunting, fishing, foraging, I can do on my own. Does this appeal to anybody? It's very appealing to me.

It's not that I don't like people, I just like being a lone wolf. Just wondering if I'm crazy or not... :)

I'd love it, even without the internet or amenities...……..I can do without power, I can do without modern conveniences, I can do without 'communications...……..I just can't do without running water.

• Thanks

I'd love it, even without the internet or amenities...……..I can do without power, I can do without modern conveniences, I can do without 'communications...……..I just can't do without running water.

Ya gotta have water. That's rule 1

I found it! My Google-Fu is strong, grasshoppa! His name is Thomas Massie, and he is 1 smart dude.

I highly recommend this guy! Maybe get a wood-burning stove vs. the fancy thing he designed.

He became a Rep to help out his neighbors n stuff.

'Murica! Fuck yeah! :rock:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
I found it! My Google-Fu is strong, grasshoppa!His name is Thomas Massie, and he is 1 smart dude.

I highly recommend this guy! Maybe get a wood-burning stove vs. the fancy thing he designed.

He may be great...…..but he's not that far off grid, with 220amp & electric outlets

I found it! My Google-Fu is strong, grasshoppa!His name is Thomas Massie, and he is 1 smart dude.

He may be great...…..but he's not that far off grid, with 220amp & electric outlets

Self-sufficient. :funnyface:

I think I'd rather go in the direction of being self sufficient if it became necessary.
A nice cabin in the woods with power and solar,a well with both a manual pump and electric.
A garden,chickens,rabbits and plenty of land to hunt and fish.
Just knowing you could do it would bring peace of mind.

I think I'd rather go in the direction of being self sufficient if it became necessary.
A nice cabin in the woods with power and solar,a well with both a manual pump and electric.

Yeah...….a man without a remote is a sorry thing to behold :badgrin:

…..and that's why we've stayed 'citified' :banghead:

Don't need no remote if the TV's off and you're gone fishin'. :eek:

Beer would be nice to have, though.

There are different levels of "off the grid."

Very few people could do it 100% There is always little stuff that one can't do without, and they cost MONEY.

There are several Alaska-based shows on my cable, featuring people who are to one extent or another living off the grid.

I think you have to consider how difficult that life would be, and what you would do when you are physically unable to do it.

I'm about as far from citified as you can get without living in the woods.

Drop me off with my pack a .22 and some fishing gear and I could live in the woods indefinitely barring injury.
Hell we already live in the woods at least a week a year with no power and the water comes from an artesian well.
Add a garden and some animals ....done.

I'm about as far from citified as you can get without living in the woods.

Drop me off with my pack a .22 and some fishing gear and I could live in the woods indefinitely barring injury.
Hell we already live in the woods at least a week a year with no power and the water comes from an artesian well.
Add a garden and some animals ....done.

Enter the beer factor..

Forum List

Back