Godless Ethics Panel Says it's "Ethical" to Create Babies with Three Parents

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Babies With Genes From 3 People Could Be Ethical, Panel Says

Good to see that scientists are making sure it's "ethical" to perform genetic experiments on human life to create bizarre lifeforms with genes from three parents.

I mean, these scientists would have halted their research and destroyed all their notes if it turned out they were doing something "unethical" right?

Or maybe it's all a sham to have some phony "ethics panel" approve whatever Frankenstein experiments scientists want to do.

Yes, I think that's it. It's a sham.

The article doesn't really explain, very well, the distinction between mitochondrial DNA, and a human's main DNA; and an understanding of this distinction is crucial in order to understand what the article is really about. What is being discussed, here, is not really nearly as bizarre as it sounds.

Some time very early in the evolution of life, a bacterium that got eaten by an early Eukaryote, instead of being digested and destroyed, instead started living symbiotically with that Eukaryote, providing additional benefits to the Eukaryote. The mitochondria in our cells today are descendants of that bacterium, having their own DNA separate from ours. Of course, in all the billions of years that Eukaryotic life has existed, these mitochondria and other organelles derived from ingested bacteria have evolved to fulfill their roles, not as individual bacteria, but as functioning parts of a greater Eukaryotic organism.

What the article is about is people whose mitochondria are in some way defective, and of a proposed means of preventing it which involves splicing mitochondrial DNA from a different donor into a human zygote, on place of that which one would normally inherit from one's mother.

I disagree with the terminology that suggests that the mitochondrial donor would be a third “parent”; and with the bizarre ethical implications that are suggested by this terminology.

If it doesn't stop now, soon it will be too late as humanoid experiments start to mate with normal humans, polluting the gene pool of the human race.

Good to see that scientists are making sure it's "ethical" to perform genetic experiments on human life to create bizarre lifeforms with genes from three parents.

I mean, these scientists would have halted their research and destroyed all their notes if it turned out they were doing something "unethical" right?

Or maybe it's all a sham to have some phony "ethics panel" approve whatever Frankenstein experiments scientists want to do.

The more the merrier, in my case it would need to be two females...

Wasn't it messing around with dna that produced this mosquito that's now causing a firestorm of disease?

Wasn't it messing around with dna that produced this mosquito that's now causing a firestorm of disease?
And Khan on Star Trek....

No. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

they aren't a religious body. why does it matter what their views on G-d are?

What does god have to do with it? Or with ethics in general?

This made me remember sitting in on a meeting in which the ethics of experimenting on humans and non-human animals was being discussed.

A jackass episcopalian priest held the opinion that of course both human and non-humans should be experimented and further, there was no reason people should be told they are the subject of experiences.

When I disagreed, he yelled, slammed his fist on the table and declared that he was the only one qualified to discuss or hold an opinion because he had a degree in ethics.

In fact, "ethics" are very often in the eye of the beholder and medical research is very seldom ethical. Or even honest, for that matter.

they aren't a religious body. why does it matter what their views on G-d are?

And, why would any of the various gods be a part of this?

Thing is, many "scientists" call themselves christians. That has never stopped them from doing things that are truly unthinkable.

Again, where's your link?

Mine is in the Zelda game...

Messing around with DNA is what gave us you.

:lol:

Where's his link?

Why is it my responsibility to prove him wrong?

This is about eradicating hereditary diseases etc and not about "creating bizarre lifeforms"

I fully support DNA from three parents, the female DNA carries most of the hereditary diseases, so all they do is take that 0.02 of her egg and replace it with the 0.02 of egg from woman who doesn't carry x hereditary disease and this will result in a baby that is 100% normal with no defective qualities but also with 99.9% of he/she mothers DNA personality characteristics and also obviously 100% of he/she fathers personality characteristics.

The article doesn't really explain, very well, the distinction between mitochondrial DNA, and a human's main DNA; and an understanding of this distinction is crucial in order to understand what the article is really about. What is being discussed, here, is not really nearly as bizarre as it sounds.

Some time very early in the evolution of life, a bacterium that got eaten by an early Eukaryote, instead of being digested and destroyed, instead started living symbiotically with that Eukaryote, providing additional benefits to the Eukaryote. The mitochondria in our cells today are descendants of that bacterium, having their own DNA separate from ours. Of course, in all the billions of years that Eukaryotic life has existed, these mitochondria and other organelles derived from ingested bacteria have evolved to fulfill their roles, not as individual bacteria, but as functioning parts of a greater Eukaryotic organism.

What the article is about is people whose mitochondria are in some way defective, and of a proposed means of preventing it which involves splicing mitochondrial DNA from a different donor into a human zygote, on place of that which one would normally inherit from one's mother.

I disagree with the terminology that suggests that the mitochondrial donor would be a third “parent”; and with the bizarre ethical implications that are suggested by this terminology.

My family historically have always supported Eugenics since the 1890s, it's natural that this generation of my family follow suit in supporting it and this news is greatly exciting and also needed.

What is wrong with society having perfect babies, perfect people, nothing, why does society want defective babies, defective people, for a start look how much money they cost to care for etc, money that could be used for better purposes.

I wouldnt say that it is exactly a sham, but it is opening ethical doors that I think should remain tightly sealed.

Enhancing the human genetic code is a laudable thing, but when we start getting into trans human designer babies that are literlly inhuman, I think that crosses the line of tolerability and wise scientific conduct.

That was first detected in monkeys in Uganda in 1947 if it's Zika you're meaning.

Forum List

Back