God speed, William Shatner.

You understand, I hope, that TeeVee stars from your old-as-fuck hayday and astronauts are not the same?

Captain Kirk didn't pilot a starship, Jethro. He got a ride just beyond Earth's atmosphere and immediately was dumped right back down to terra firma.

Should we throw a parade? What do you think, old person?

Yes, the tv show and its stars are old as fuck. They are also icons.

Much like some of James Doohan's ashes being smuggled onboard the International Space Station and being hidden under the flooring, it is about the legacy of the people who helped many of the engineers and astronauts learn to dream. It isn't meant to be serious. Everyone knows Shatner never piloted a space craft. But he was one of those who started TV science fiction, especially space oriented science fiction.

Not everything is modern. But every step we take is built on the shoulders of those who came before us. And, thankfully, not all of it is serious.

Much like some of James Doohan's ashes being smuggled onboard the International Space Station and being hidden under the flooring, it is about the legacy of the people who helped many of the engineers and astronauts learn to dream.
An eloquent, beautiful and agreeable point. I'm of a younger generation that believes Shatner was the star, but the supporting characters were so much more interesting.

Doohan, if alive, would have been my first choice to get the opportunity. Then Deforest Kelly. Where's the love for Nichelle Nichols? Heck, I'd have picked Nimoy, Chris Pine Kirk , and even current Karl Urban McCoy before Shatner.

I guess I just don't like William Shatner all that much. Remember, he was also T.J. Hooker. I thought that show sucked out loud.
It isn't meant to be serious. Everyone knows Shatner never piloted a space craft. But he was one of those who started TV science fiction, especially space oriented science fiction.
Another fair point. I know this and respect it. I appreciate the original ST and still watch the original episodes every once in a while. The campiness of it makes it the pioneering juggernaut it was. The style is still being replicated to this day.
Not everything is modern. But every step we take is built on the shoulders of those who came before us. And, thankfully, not all of it is serious.
Amen. Again, this all boils down to me still not liking Shatner all that much. My cross to bear.

An eloquent, beautiful and agreeable point. I'm of a younger generation that believes Shatner was the star, but the supporting characters were so much more interesting.

Doohan, if alive, would have been my first choice to get the opportunity. Then Deforest Kelly. Where's the love for Nichelle Nichols? Heck, I'd have picked Nimoy, Chris Pine Kirk , and even current Karl Urban McCoy before Shatner.

I guess I just don't like William Shatner all that much. Remember, he was also T.J. Hooker. I thought that show sucked out loud.

Another fair point. I know this and respect it. I appreciate the original ST and still watch the original episodes every once in a while. The campiness of it makes it the pioneering juggernaut it was. The style is still being replicated to this day.

Amen. Again, this all boils down to me still not liking Shatner all that much. My cross to bear.

Shatner is a terrible actor. I can only think of two roles that worked with his overblown style. Capt Kirk and Denny Crane.

The supporting cast made the show what it was. Doohan was my favorite too.

And the show was campy and full of moral plays. But I loved it then and still do.

Never thought he was much of an actor, myself.

(Barbary Coast was total crap)

Considering his 'background' in 'space travel', I'm glad he was able to finally go where few men have gone before.

Shame his former castmates, now gone, couldn't have had the same chance,
Shatner is an overly dramatic actor. He really isn't a good actor, but I just don't see a Shakesperean trained actor being able to play Capt Kirk as well. Kirks overly unserious acting played well against Leonard Nimoys more serious character and acting abilities.

Luke Picards actor is the worse with no plus's.

Shatner is an overly dramatic actor. He really isn't a good actor, but I just don't see a Shakesperean trained actor being able to play Capt Kirk as well. Kirks overly unserious acting played well against Leonard Nimoys more serious character and acting abilities.

Luke Picards actor is the worse with no plus's.
The Spock character was bland. However it was Nimoy who created the Vulcans. Shatner was asked the question of overacting on Star Trek. He low keyed it by saying that he was asked to push a drama that happened to be in space while wearing some uniforms/clothing no one on earth does at all and sell it to the viewers.

2C9BBCE9-60F4-4BE1-A43B-ED2EDFB4A707.jpeg

There’s a sense of urgency that’s often described as well: if we don’t start taking proper care of the Earth, we will run the risk of pushing all that we hold dear and precious to a premature extinction.

5ql1ja.gif

frame_02_delay-0.05s.gif

By the time you read this hopefully Captain Kirk will be back on the ground safe and sound.

I like William Shatner. My wife and I used to set up TV trays and watch him in the 70’s on our lunch hour When Star Trek went into syndication. Shatner’s developing interaction with Spock and the rest of his crewmates was a big part of the show. I hope all goes well for his trip into space because the risks are real, and the potential consequences are final.

If we Turn the clock back to 1986, we see that this is a publicity stunt much like NASA was trying to pull off back in the day. Millions of school children sat in front of TV screens in classrooms and gymnasiums when Christa McCauliffe, the “first teacher is space’, went on a death ride in a spectacular explosion that occurred one minute and thirteen seconds after launch. The launch had been delayed several times due to unusually chilly weather, but NASA bureaucrats prevailed over some engineers at the Morton Thiokol company that warned against the failure of O-rings joining the solid rocket boosters in frigid temperatures.

The children were spared the horrible drop McCauliffe, and her surviving mates experienced in the crew compartment that was almost certainly taped in real time with onboard cameras. The kids never saw the crew members’ last moments as they awaited the massive impact at terminal velocity with the ocean. The crew cabin was recovered from the ocean floor in the months after the crash and qualified experts have said that McCauliffe likely survived the first explosion and was conscious and aware until the end.

What America’s school children learned from the fiasco is anyone’s guess, but it is unlikely that the US educational system focused on the greed and incompetence that led to McCauliffe’s demise or the corruption of “experts” more interested in funding than anything else. No one blames those kids if they grew into cynical adults distrusting tax-financed government projects. McCauliffe’s bid for fame and fortune came to an ignominious end and no one will ever know if she had any idea what was happening in the shadows.

William Shatner is 90, Mccauliffe was 37. Shatner has lived a good life and he is doing this with full knowledge of the risks-good for him. We all know and love him. Shatner will ride private enterprise, Mccauliffe trusted the government and all that that has come to imply. We all hope Shatner goes up and comes down safely but nothing worth doing is worth it without risk. Shatner is trusting experts that will work together for success and take responsibility for a bad outcome. McCauliffe did not have that luxury. Hopefully the people know that.

Ged speed, William Shatner.

You're easily entertained.

Yes, the tv show and its stars are old as fuck. They are also icons.

Much like some of James Doohan's ashes being smuggled onboard the International Space Station and being hidden under the flooring, it is about the legacy of the people who helped many of the engineers and astronauts learn to dream. It isn't meant to be serious. Everyone knows Shatner never piloted a space craft. But he was one of those who started TV science fiction, especially space oriented science fiction.

I see that you're groovin' on the current Shatner vibe.

By the time you read this hopefully Captain Kirk will be back on the ground safe and sound. ...... I hope all goes well for his trip into space because the risks are real, and the potential consequences are final.
Don't worry. If things go badly Scotty can always beam him down again with "phasers on stun" just in case earth has been overrun by Klingons during his absence.

I was thrilled to learn Captain Kirk was going to space. My only regret was that Spock was not here and able to fly with him. What a picture that would have been.

I used to think Shatner was an over actor, and in some ways he is. I don't care. He was the best guy to play Kirk, and he did it perfectly,

I grew to appreciate his acting chops a lot more when I watched Boston Legal. I realized the over acting is an act in itself. Shatner is making fun of himself and having fun doing it. He doesn't care if people are laughing at him or with him as long as they are watching him.

The guy has had a helluva lot of fun and that's what matters. Big ego? Oh hell yeah. The biggest. But he kinda deserves to have a big ego.

I never saw that cop show he did. I saw an ad for it, and those hairstyles told me all I needed to know to avoid that shit like the plague.

Shatner has done things his way. Like Sinatra.

Too much of movies and television these days relies heavily on computer special effects and lots of explosions and very little on acting. And the writing is total shit.

Star Trek was carried entirely by the acting and the writing.

You understand, I hope, that TeeVee stars from your old-as-fuck hayday and astronauts are not the same?

Captain Kirk didn't pilot a starship, Jethro. He got a ride just beyond Earth's atmosphere and immediately was dumped right back down to terra firma.

Should we throw a parade? What do you think, old person?
Shatner strapped his dried old wrinkly balls onto a ride that could have blown them all the way to North Dakota. It still takes guts to go to space, especially in a commercial program as young as this one is and Shatner being as old as he is.

So, yeah. He should get a parade. A big one.

It's even better that Captain Kirk rode a rocket shaped like a penis. Perfect.

I was thrilled to learn Captain Kirk was going to space. My only regret was that Spock was not here and able to fly with him. What a picture that would have been.

I used to think Shatner was an over actor, and in some ways he is. I don't care. He was the best guy to play Kirk, and he did it perfectly,

I grew to appreciate his acting chops a lot more when I watched Boston Legal. I realized the over acting is an act in itself. Shatner is making fun of himself and having fun doing it. He doesn't care if people are laughing at him or with him as long as they are watching him.

The guy has had a helluva lot of fun and that's what matters. Big ego? Oh hell yeah. The biggest. But he kinda deserves to have a big ego.

I never saw that cop show he did. I saw an ad for it, and those hairstyles told me all I needed to know to avoid that shit like the plague.

Shatner has done things his way. Like Sinatra.

Too much of movies and television these days relies heavily on computer special effects and lots of explosions and very little on acting. And the writing is total shit.

Star Trek was carried entirely by the acting and the writing.
Why you want the both of them together in space. So that it will be the first catfight in outer space?

They all don't get along.

5qmws1.gif

The only reason why he was sent into space> It is that the sponsors of this voyage chose him so that it will get the world's attention. The sponsors paid Shatner a trip in space so that he could come back and read a scripted speech about the dangers of climate change. These sponsors paid Richard Branson too, when he made that trip in the sub 7 miles deep beneath the sea.

Richard and his crew saw stalactite seven miles deep in the sea. And only stalactite can form above sea level. But he and his crew suggested that it was caused by global warming.

But the only thing that they have done, was validate the Book of Genesis of the great deluge. That the whole earth was underwater and underwater volcanic activity had formed or pushed some of the earth crust above water, creating islands. And over time, water kept on drying up, forming continents.
Like the town of Bethsaida. That it was once a fishing community. But they have found sea boats on dryland but miles away from the shore. But then they found out that the water had receded overtime, further away from the community.

And they've found out that the entire Sahara desert was once under water.
And so water drying up is a natural process. That they are trying to profit from this natural process.

When I was a kid TJ Hooker was my hero. Never was a big trekkie.

After rewatching TJ Hooker recently it was not all that great, but Heather Locklear helped a lot.

Not many tv series from the 70’s and 80’s age well

I still go out of my way to see The Rockford Files and Streets of San Francisco

But even The Streets seems pretty naive compared to actual crime in America today

New Topics

Forum List

Back