God/Religion themed songs

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Not sure if this belongs here or the music forum, but since I'm specifically asking for examples and discussion about God/Religion themed songs, my preference is here.

Not surprisingly, two of my favorite songs that fit the bill are by my two favorite bands.

"Wind Up" by Jethro Tull and "Freewill" by Rush. But rather than post the lyrics in their entirety, which I wouldn't expect anyone to read, I'll post the lines that really stand out for me.

The last verse in Wind Up...

In your pomp and all your glory you're a poorer man than me,
as you lick the boots of death born out of fear.
I don't believe you:
you had the whole damn thing all wrong --
He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

I particularly like this line, as well as the overall theme, because I've known countless assholes that believe they can absolve themselves of being an asshole Monday thru Saturday simply by going to church on Sunday.

Here is the opening verses from Freewill...

There are those who think that life is nothing left to chance,
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

A planet of playthings,
We dance on the strings
Of powers we cannot perceive.
"The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign"-
Blame is better to give than receive.

I like these verses because it touches upon the hypocrisy of fundies. On one hand, they brandish the threadbare 'personal responsibility' talking point all while allegedly believing in the dogmatic notion that everything that happens is God's will.

Please add any God/Religion themed verses that you like and a brief explanation of why you like it.

A song that I'd listened to thousands of times over a 30 year period never struck me as spiritual or religious until a few years ago. I just left the nursing home after visiting with a friend that I somehow knew would soon die (she did). I played this song on the drive home and it suddenly made perfect sense.
Life, death, earth, sky, living, spirit. I cried my freakin' eyes out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Cp1jvYSNA]Yes - And You and I - YouTube[/ame]

• Banned
A song that I'd listened to thousands of times over a 30 year period never struck me as spiritual or religious until a few years ago. I just left the nursing home after visiting with a friend that I somehow knew would soon die (she did). I played this song on the drive home and it suddenly made perfect sense.
Life, death, earth, sky, living, spirit. I cried my freakin' eyes out.

I had a somewhat similar experience with the Tull album "Songs from the Wood". I'd listened to it countless times over 20+ years, but it wasn't until I listened to it shortly after the birth of my first born, that I realized the whole concept was about fatherhood.

Forum List

Back