God I hope the GOP Supreme Court overturns Roe

How would it be eliminated? it would just go back to the states. All but a handful of Bible Belt states would still allow it.
The backlash could be great enough for a lot of state legislatures to be turned from red to blue.

The ripple effects of that would be enormous.

Redistricting, for example, is determined by the legislature. Think about what that would mean.

It would be refreshing to me for people to begin voting again on truly vested interests. We used to see this when there were true economic differences in parties, but now the party that wins both congress and the WH is the party that turns out it's own in states it cannot lose, and captures suburban swing votes in the 6 or 7 states that actually decide elections.

Even vietnam didn't really make a difference. But once the dems under Carter embraced using the Fed to engineer recessions over inflation ... wages are relatively flat, while the rich earn more per capita, and taxes apply more and more the the rich, but rise slower than their incomes by percentage.

But nobody really cares because .... we have the soma

Dont buy the narrative about this being OVERTURNING Roe v Wade. That's a dem manufactured mantra and threats that go with it. MUCH more likely, that ruling will be refined and tweaked to add some room for individual states to set limited restrictions. LIMITED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS in fact. Leaving a wide window of options up to personal choice in the respective states.

Dont buy the narrative about this being OVERTURNING Roe v Wade. That's a dem manufactured mantra and threats that go with it. MUCH more likely, that ruling will be refined and tweaked to add some room for individual states to set limited restrictions. LIMITED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS in fact. Leaving a wide window of options up to personal choice in the respective states.
The Texas and Mississippi cases do not limit abortions. They make no exceptions.

And to legalize abortion in the first and second trimesters, with or without restrictions, IS an overturning of Roe v. Wade. It would make Roe v. Wade null and void.

I hope the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade as well, but probably for different reasons than you do.

I suspect your reasoning is that such a decision would cause a Democratic rush to the polls in the mid terms, and that is probably true.

But my reasons are purely moral. Abortion is wrong, and it would be best left to the states to decide the issue.

However, even if Roe v. Wade is overturned, I think it would have almost no impact on the number of annual abortions in America.

But it should be overturned regardless.
Well I'm trained as a lawyer so I don't really have morals to speak of. (-:

But to me the issue is that since I learned to question, I've thought Roe was wrongly decided because it "vaccinated" people from having to fight to have a choice. I think we need a base or bottom beneath which we won't let people fall ... economically, morally, legally, etc. But the less people have to struggle, the weaker they become.

We've had abortion since men and women have had sex. The only question has been safety. And it wasn't really illegal in the US for our first 100-150 years. And the little morality I have is to .... try and leave others alone so they can follow their own choices to better their lives. I don't have any inkling of how other people should live their lives. So I simply disagree there's a moral issue. I believe we'd be better off living in a society where no child went hungry or was sold for sex, and no weaker person was tortured and raped for fun and profit. But I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect the dems (or whatever party is for "choice") would benefit from Roe being overturned. But I wouldn't expect Miss or Ala to be swing states. What I would expect, if the Supreme Court does what the religious right paid money and elected them to do, is that more people will go to states where they are allowed choice because they demand it of politicians. Those states will do better than states without choice. I think the nation was founded to allow people to demand choice and benefit from their actions.

It all depends on how your frame the issue. Americans are split pretty much 50-50 on whether they call themselves "pro-life" or "pro-choice". However, when you ask them if they are okay with abortions after the first trimester, a vast majority of Americans are opposed. Something like 67 percent.

Roe v. Wade allows abortions through the second trimester, with third trimester abortions left to the states.

So a lot of people who call themselves "pro-choice" are actually in opposition to Roe v. Wade and don't know it.
I think it is safe to say that the majority of Americans think abortion within limits is OK. I bet the vast majority approve of the morning after pill.

Be careful what you wish for. Pro-choice is the majority position in the US. If it is eliminated the backlash might put the Dems is power and allow them to fundamentally change the laws governing, not only abortion, but many other Dem favorites.
I don't believe the supermaj of women who support choice also support progressive issues like free money for having kids.

Have to pick your battles. Do you want Republicans to win next go around? If they won this you can be guaranteed democrats will spend the next couple years dragging them through the mud on it to get people to vote against them. Every lefty news outlets in the nation will tear Republicans apart to swing votes in their favor.

The backlash could be great enough for a lot of state legislatures to be turned from red to blue.

The ripple effects of that would be enormous.

Redistricting, for example, is determined by the legislature. Think about what that would mean.
So then you should be hoping for the overturn, no?

I personally am pro-choice (in the first trimester unless the mother’s life is at risk), but I can see how requiring all states to legalize it WAS indeed an unconstitutional ruling. Anything not specifically delineated as federal reverts automatically to the states.

The correct decision would be to overturn it, but I predict it will NOT happen. There might be extreme rioting and destruction from the left, even worse than the summer of 2020, and I believe the SCOTUS can factor in “impact” as well as constitutionality. Perhaps a lawyer here can weigh in on that.

Finally, for me personally, I never had an abortion. I was always very careful with birth control, and it never failed me.

I think it is safe to say that the majority of Americans think abortion within limits is OK. I bet the vast majority approve of the morning after pill.
Contraception should be used before sex, not the morning after. That's why the morning after pill is called Plan B.

Plan A is using birth control BEFORE sex.

I think the long term solution to abortion is more contraception education. According to the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute, almost half of all abortions are the result of no birth control of any kind being used during the sex act which led to the pregnancy. Another fifth are due to the improper or inconsistent use of birth control.

The morning after pill is a good idea in cases of rape. In fact, it is offered to rape victims now.

Well I'm trained as a lawyer so I don't really have morals to speak of. (-:

But to me the issue is that since I learned to question, I've thought Roe was wrongly decided because it "vaccinated" people from having to fight to have a choice. I think we need a base or bottom beneath which we won't let people fall ... economically, morally, legally, etc. But the less people have to struggle, the weaker they become.

We've had abortion since men and women have had sex. The only question has been safety. And it wasn't really illegal in the US for our first 100-150 years. And the little morality I have is to .... try and leave others alone so they can follow their own choices to better their lives. I don't have any inkling of how other people should live their lives. So I simply disagree there's a moral issue. I believe we'd be better off living in a society where no child went hungry or was sold for sex, and no weaker person was tortured and raped for fun and profit. But I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect the dems (or whatever party is for "choice") would benefit from Roe being overturned. But I wouldn't expect Miss or Ala to be swing states. What I would expect, if the Supreme Court does what the religious right paid money and elected them to do, is that more people will go to states where they are allowed choice because they demand it of politicians. Those states will do better than states without choice. I think the nation was founded to allow people to demand choice and benefit from their actions.
I appreciate your legal reasoning, but I detect some moral fiber in your post, too. :)

It would be great if the human race was immune to the seven deadly sins.

For me, abortion is the killing of a human being. It's as simple as that. We don't have a "choice" when it comes to killing people on the street, and we shouldn't have one when it comes to people in the womb.

What's interesting to me politically is why Tex and Miss pulled this gambit. Obviously the politicans were pandering to a crowd for whom "overturning Roe" has been a rallying cry, and who have donated literally billions to politicians. But the politicians have already given them what they want. The key is to allow states to require abortion docs to have admitting privileges at local hospitals, and then economically punish hospitals that don't toe the line in declining admission privledges.

In 2020, with J. Ginsburg still alive, the Court said states can't do that.

It would be refreshing to me for people to begin voting again on truly vested interests. We used to see this when there were true economic differences in parties, but now the party that wins both congress and the WH is the party that turns out it's own in states it cannot lose, and captures suburban swing votes in the 6 or 7 states that actually decide elections.

Even vietnam didn't really make a difference. But once the dems under Carter embraced using the Fed to engineer recessions over inflation ... wages are relatively flat, while the rich earn more per capita, and taxes apply more and more the the rich, but rise slower than their incomes by percentage.

But nobody really cares because .... we have the soma
So when a Democrat says “Revolution”, it’s good.

Contraception should be used before sex, not the morning after. That's why the morning after pill is called Plan B.

Plan A is using birth control BEFORE sex.

I think the long term solution to abortion is more contraception education. According to the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute, almost half of all abortions are the result of no birth control of any kind being used during the sex act which led to the pregnancy. Another fifth are due to the improper or inconsistent use of birth control.

The morning after pill is a good idea in cases of rape. In fact, it is offered to rape victims now.
Well the same politicians are being funded and elected by voters who want to limit educating children about contraception. At least in Miss.

So again, I think the moral issue is more about deciding what other people should do with their lives

How do you get that?

Very dangerous and a dogwhistle to commit violence.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., issued a warning to the Supreme Court days before oral arguments in a potential landmark abortion case, claiming that a "revolution" will take place if the high court overturns existing precedent.

Observation............

Every person I know that was adopted was adopted by a conservative........................AND;

Every person I know that gave up their child for adoption is leftist.

Be careful what you wish for. Pro-choice is the majority position in the US. If it is eliminated the backlash might put the Dems is power and allow them to fundamentally change the laws governing, not only abortion, but many other Dem favorites.
Pro-choice is the majority position among the disgusting filth that inhabits disgusting Dem run shitholes.

I'm pro-choice, but I agree strictly from a Constitutional standpoint it should be overturned. The Burger Court invented a right to privacy out of thin air to push their own agenda. It was THE textbook case of judicial activism. Even RBG said it was a poorly framed decision.

Nonetheless, I don't think the court will do it.
RBG thought it should be framed as gender equality instead.

Very dangerous and a dogwhistle to commit violence.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., issued a warning to the Supreme Court days before oral arguments in a potential landmark abortion case, claiming that a "revolution" will take place if the high court overturns existing precedent.
That sounds like a threat of violence. Is that the default position of Democrats these days? “Vote the way we demand, or there will be blood in the streets!”

Looks like Shaheen is calling for violence.

Abortion is the ultimate form of violence, perpetrated in the greatest numbers, with the least remorse, against the most innocent and defenseless of all human beings.

It should never be a surprise when defenders of this savage practice threaten or resort to other, lesser forms of violence.

Forum List

Back