God I hope the GOP Supreme Court overturns Roe

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard

It would be refreshing to me for people to begin voting again on truly vested interests. We used to see this when there were true economic differences in parties, but now the party that wins both congress and the WH is the party that turns out it's own in states it cannot lose, and captures suburban swing votes in the 6 or 7 states that actually decide elections.

Even vietnam didn't really make a difference. But once the dems under Carter embraced using the Fed to engineer recessions over inflation ... wages are relatively flat, while the rich earn more per capita, and taxes apply more and more the the rich, but rise slower than their incomes by percentage.

But nobody really cares because .... we have the soma

It would be refreshing to me for people to begin voting again on truly vested interests. We used to see this when there were true economic differences in parties, but now the party that wins both congress and the WH is the party that turns out it's own in states it cannot lose, and captures suburban swing votes in the 6 or 7 states that actually decide elections.

Even vietnam didn't really make a difference. But once the dems under Carter embraced using the Fed to engineer recessions over inflation ... wages are relatively flat, while the rich earn more per capita, and taxes apply more and more the the rich, but rise slower than their incomes by percentage.

Be careful what you wish for. Pro-choice is the majority position in the US. If it is eliminated the backlash might put the Dems is power and allow them to fundamentally change the laws governing, not only abortion, but many other Dem favorites.

I hope the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade as well, but probably for different reasons than you do.

I suspect your reasoning is that such a decision would cause a Democratic rush to the polls in the mid terms, and that is probably true.

But my reasons are purely moral. Abortion is wrong, and it would be best left to the states to decide the issue.

However, even if Roe v. Wade is overturned, I think it would have almost no impact on the number of annual abortions in America.

But it should be overturned regardless.

Be careful what you wish for. Pro-choice is the majority position in the US. If it is eliminated the backlash might put the Dems is power and allow them to fundamentally change the laws governing, not only abortion, but many other Dem favorites.
It all depends on how your frame the issue. Americans are split pretty much 50-50 on whether they call themselves "pro-life" or "pro-choice". However, when you ask them if they are okay with abortions after the first trimester, a vast majority of Americans are opposed. Something like 67 percent.

Roe v. Wade allows abortions through the second trimester, with third trimester abortions left to the states.

So a lot of people who call themselves "pro-choice" are actually in opposition to Roe v. Wade and don't know it.

I hope the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade as well, but probably for different reasons than you do.

I suspect your reasoning is that such a decision would cause a Democratic rush to the polls in the mid terms, and that is probably true.

But my reasons are purely moral. Abortion is wrong, and it would be best left to the states to decide the issue.

However, even if Roe v. Wade is overturned, I think it would have almost no impact on the number of annual abortions in America.

I'm pro-choice, but I agree strictly from a Constitutional standpoint it should be overturned. The Burger Court invented a right to privacy out of thin air to push their own agenda. It was THE textbook case of judicial activism. Even RBG said it was a poorly framed decision.

Nonetheless, I don't think the court will do it.

Over turning Roe vs Wade would be a worthy cause, you could ask any child that would have been aborted in 15 years, they would tell you.

That's what I think. I don't think it will have a huge impact either but as long as the federal govt doesn't condone killing of innocent life I'm fine with that.

Looks like Shaheen is calling for violence.

These pro-abortion nutcases ARE demon possessed. They wail and lament, rage and howl and scream as if loss of their ability to MURDER unborn children is a crime against humanity. These pro-child murder people are the enemy of ALL mankind. We should deal with them accordingly.

I've rather the 15 week thing be allowed within the bounds of RvW, it's a reasonable/common sense type of thing.....I mean it really does not matter to me if the dems have to wait a bit longer in MS to commit genocide on their future base.

That said if the 15 week thing means that RvW has to be tossed that's OK too as abortions will still be allowed by most states and the end result will be near the same.

There is no majority either way. It's about 48-48.

Last edited:
The new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds 61% of Americans say abortion should be legal in most or all circumstances in the first trimester of a pregnancy. However, 65% said abortion should usually be illegal in the second trimester, and 80% said that about the third trimester.

Six in 10 U.S. adults think abortion should generally be legal in the first three months of pregnancy. However, support drops by about half, to 28%, for abortions conducted in the second three months, and by half again, to 13%, in the final three months.

[snip]

As Gallup reported earlier this week, the vast majority of Americans want abortion to be legally available in all or certain circumstances, even while, in answer to a separate question, they are evenly divided at 48% each in identifying their overall position as "pro-choice" or "pro-life."

Over turning Roe vs Wade would be a worthy cause, you could ask any child that would have been aborted in 15 years, they would tell you.

Overturning this may well result in the Republicans snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in next year's midterms. I guarantee you behind closed doors most of the elected Republicans throughout Congress and state and local level offices are hoping Roe gets upheld, but most of them won't admit it out loud.

The Court divided the pregnancy period into three trimesters. During the first trimester, the decision to terminate the pregnancy was solely at the discretion of the woman. After the first trimester, the state could “regulate procedure.” During the second trimester, the state could regulate (but not outlaw) abortions in the interests of the mother’s health. After the second trimester, the fetus became viable, and the state could regulate or outlaw abortions in the interest of the potential life except when necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother.

Last edited:
Because Roe v. Wade does not permit the outlawing of first or second trimester abortions, to uphold the Texas and Mississippi laws would require the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

This will be a very interesting decision to read.

The Texas case has already been argued. The Mississippi case is being argued tomorrow, December 1.

How would it be eliminated? it would just go back to the states. All but a handful of Bible Belt states would still allow it.

Forum List

Back