GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
:lol:yea thats the way to build cred. we were told that if we let GM go the traditional chapter 11 bankruptcy the earth would scorch, people would have their warranties possibly voided, parts would be scarce etc etc ...well?

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:47pm EDT

New GM said not responsible to fix Impala made by old GM

* Suspension problem said to cause excessive tire wear

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK, Aug 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) is seeking to dismiss a lawsuit over a suspension problem on more than 400,000 Chevrolet Impalas from the 2007 and 2008 model years, saying it should not be responsible for repairs because the flaw predated its bankruptcy.

The lawsuit, filed on June 29 by Donna Trusky of Blakely, Pennsylvania, contended that her Impala suffered from faulty rear spindle rods, causing her rear tires to wear out after just 6,000 miles. [ID:nN1E7650CT]

Seeking class-action status and alleging breach of warranty, the lawsuit demands that GM fix the rods, saying that it had done so on Impala police vehicles.

But in a recent filing with the U.S. District Court in Detroit, GM noted that the cars were made by its predecessor General Motors Corp, now called Motors Liquidation Co or "Old GM," before its 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

The current company, called "New GM," said it did not assume responsibility under the reorganization to fix the Impala problem, but only to make repairs "subject to conditions and limitations" in express written warranties. In essence, the automaker said, Trusky sued the wrong entity.

snip-
GM said an argument similar to Trusky's failed this year in a case involving its OnStar security and navigation product.

"There are no specific factual allegations that New GM -- as opposed to Old GM -- did anything at all in relation to her vehicle," Jeffers wrote. "Plaintiff here is trying to saddle new GM with the alleged liability and conduct of old GM."

more at-
GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs | Reuters

I was thinking of getting an Impala during that time, good thing I didn't!

By the way, my Fathers first new car was a 1965 Chevy Impala 396 that he bought at Cormier Chevrolet in Long Beach.

They will be in bankruptcy again soon. No one want to buy Volts. The fact they lied last time means we are less likely to believe their lies next time.

They will be in bankruptcy again soon. No one want to buy Volts. The fact they lied last time means we are less likely to believe their lies next time.
You that if VOlts get recalled for some reason GM can say "We don't have to fix em' because no one bought one"? :lol:

I had a 2005 Impala SS. It was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. The fuel pump, water pump, emergency brake system and a steering worm gear all gave out in the 3 years I owned that car. I got rid of it for a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and haven't looked back.

And I forgot to add that I spent most of my driving time trying to figure out which window was not seated properly, that hissing drove me crazy.

Last edited:

everyone wants the new Camaro, including me.

I'm looking at a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, got to get the speed before my reflexes and eyesight fade.

lol life is cruel. nice car at any age. If you get make sure you post the pics.

I'm looking at a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, got to get the speed before my reflexes and eyesight fade.

lol life is cruel. nice car at any age. If you get make sure you post the pics.

About 6 months ago I saw a ZR1 pull into a handicap parking spot, it had handicap tags. The driver's door opens and a walker pops out. The driver looked like he was 80 and he had to use a walker. I don't want to be that guy before I get my vette.

I had a 1995 blue convertible Vett just like the one pictured below. They were supposed to top out at 165-mph. I could never get mine over 156-mph. I think having the top down must have been causing turbulence holding it back. It defiantly left the ground many times at 155mph. The car drifted upwards & the speedometer rose rapidly, then the rear tires barked as the car touched back down. I scared the crap out of myself & my friends a few times doing that. I finally got smart & sold that death trap.

95turquoise2.jpg

nuff said, the legend....Lives.........

and I've pinned it at 160....

Attachments

• $my baby.JPG
    $my baby.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
If Ford doesn't make the model I want then Hyundai does.

NO government motors trash at any price!

In fairness, when Obama was setting up the nationalization he said straight out that anybody who had bought stock in, or a car from, the "Old" GM was screwed.

One of the few times in his life he wasn't lying.

SNIP:

"A search of cars.com site showed nearly 500 Chevy Volts listed for sale. I had originally assumed that GM dealers were advertising vehicles that were not actually available for sale, since GM has stated that there were only a “few” Volts available. I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts. The demand for the Chevy Volt is not as strong as GM would have us believe.
Martin confirmed that there are Volts available at dealerships. According to Martin, there are 116 new Chevy Volts available for sale to the public at dealerships, plus demo units that can be sold…

"The Chevy Volt will not be a big seller for GM; the car just doesn’t offer enough value to get a large part of the population to purchase one."

Number of Chevy Volts sold last month: 125 « Hot Air

Forum List

Back