Glock

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Does anyone have good knowledge of Glock?
I’m thinking of buying one but can’t decide on the model or cal.

I’m looking for a good all around, competition, personal protection model.

I don't particularly care for Glocks, but if you're looking for a personal protection pistol, I'd recommend the 9mm version (I think it's a Glock 17?).

OK, gun owners, I'm curious, what does it take to own a handgun? What I mean by this question is, what is the process for owning a handgun?

My guess is, send your fingerprints to local law enforcement (OK, not a problem, my fingerprints are already in Washington, DC, so another copy can't hurt), law enforcement checks for a criminal record, you have to take a gun safety course.... etc. What else is there? Plus what does a good handgun cost?

I don't own a handgun or any gun, for that matter. However, my neighborhood is slowly becoming kind of, shall we say, Brooklyn-ized. More crack houses, shootings and so forth are in the news.

I'm not seriously considering buying one right now, but if the day comes that I need one, I'd like to be prepared.

OK, gun owners, I'm curious, what does it take to own a handgun? What I mean by this question is, what is the process for owning a handgun?
It all depends on the state, Karl. There are Fed procedures/laws to purchase that apply to all states. Here it takes a backround check, short waiting period and thats it.

My guess is, send your fingerprints to local law enforcement (OK, not a problem, my fingerprints are already in Washington, DC, so another copy can't hurt), law enforcement checks for a criminal record, you have to take a gun safety course.... etc. What else is there? Plus what does a good handgun cost?

I don't own a handgun or any gun, for that matter. However, my neighborhood is slowly becoming kind of, shall we say, Brooklyn-ized. More crack houses, shootings and so forth are in the news.

I'm not seriously considering buying one right now, but if the day comes that I need one, I'd like to be prepared.

Just a little advice from a former law enforcement officer..if you are looking for home protection go with a revolver...stay away from the autos...they are more expensive and require alot more maintenance...I would suggest a S&W model 66...it is a 357 mag and has alot of stopping power as well as being reliable...just go to the range regularly...one bullet one kill is the best policy!

They can be purchased for around $350.00 on average!

It all depends on the state, Karl. There are Fed procedures/laws to purchase that apply to all states. Here it takes a backround check, short waiting period and thats it.

I should add this…that applies to purchase only. If you want to carry in public there are many more hoops to jump through.

The 19 happens to be the one I'm leaning toward.

Model 23, if I had to choose one. .40 cal. gives you more energy in close range social occasions. Most personal defense shootings occur within a distance of 10 feet. Though the 9mm parabellum round is excellent in terms accuracy and velocity, in close range situations it is overkill and has been known to enter and exit the target without even slowing down the threat. A forty cal will put them on their ass.

Glocks are fine weapons, if you can get past the grip angle, the spongy trigger, and cheaper plastic by the year. Glocks aren't what they were ten years ago. I work at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I have had to sen three Glocks back to Smyrna to get front sights put back in them after they fell out during shipping. Like I said, If I had to choose, model 23. Just my 2 cents.

Look into this one as well.

I bought one and I like it alot.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15708&top_category=15708

There many more good choices in polymer DAO(Double Action Only) handguns. The Beretta PX4 Storm comes to mind. The Springfield XD, the Taurus 24/7, and the H&K P2000 are all excellent handguns. Before you settle on Glock, look around. You might be surprised by what you find.

Look into this one as well.

I bought one and I like it alot.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15708&top_category=15708

There many more good choices in polymer DAO(Double Action Only) handguns. The Beretta PX4 Storm comes to mind. The Springfield XD, the Taurus 24/7, and the H&K P2000 are all excellent handguns. Before you settle on Glock, look around. You might be surprised by what you find.

Thanks, onthefence. That’s a nice looking Smith.
How many malfunctions have you had while shooting it?
I’ve talked with glock owners that say they have shot hundreds of rounds in the same day and never had a mal.

There are pros and cons with the 9 vs 40. The biggest for me is ammo cost.
Practice , practice, can be expensive, but it’s a MUST.
Although aware, I’m not overly concerned with the pass-through potential of the 9 if loaded with a good JHP. I will admit the 40 is on my list. Much depends on if I elect to carry.

Here’s something that may interest you, 45 vs 9…
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm vs 45.htm

BTW what is your store price on the 19 an 23?

Thanks, onthefence. That’s a nice looking Smith.
How many malfunctions have you had while shooting it?
I’ve talked with glock owners that say they have shot hundreds of rounds in the same day and never had a mal.

There are pros and cons with the 9 vs 40. The biggest for me is ammo cost.
Practice , practice, can be expensive, but it’s a MUST.
Although aware, I’m not overly concerned with the pass-through potential of the 9 if loaded with a good JHP. I will admit the 40 is on my list. Much depends on if I elect to carry.

Here’s something that may interest you, 45 vs 9…
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm vs 45.htm

BTW what is your store price on the 19 an 23?

I've put around 2000 rounds through my Smith without a malfuntion. Glocks are the ame way in that sense. Comparatively, 9mm ammo is cheaper and you are right about a JHP. Gold dots or Silver tips are good.

We have Glocks for $496.47. Most other polymer handguns are right around the the 450-500 dollar range. The H&K is of course more at $769. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

What set the Smith M&P above the Glock for me is the steel chassis. The M&P has a steel chassis embedded in the polymer frame. Everything that makes a handgun a handgun is steel in the M&P. No other polymer handgun has this feature.

What set the Smith M&P above the Glock for me is the steel chassis. The M&P has a steel chassis embedded in the polymer frame. Everything that makes a handgun a handgun is steel in the M&P. No other polymer handgun has this feature.

I'm looking into the glock KBoom issue now, a bit scarey, I must say.....

I'm looking into the glock KBoom issue now, a bit scarey, I must say.....

I think that had more to do with the ammo than the weapon. Over pressurized ammo would do that to any firearm. The Navy Seals learned this a few years back when they were shooting sub ammo through M9's. However, if the damn things are flying apart, then I would look for a stronger platform.

I think that had more to do with the ammo than the weapon. Over pressurized ammo would do that to any firearm. The Navy Seals learned this a few years back when they were shooting sub ammo through M9's. However, if the damn things are flying apart, then I would look for a stronger platform.

Yes, glock says NO re-loaded ammo. all the KBs I've read about so far were from reloaded, except one.

Years ago I decided on the Glock 27 for personal protection. It's small, light, unbreakable, and always goes boom when you squeeze the trigger- never when you don't. The 40 caliber round is superior in stopping power to the 9mm. The Glocks have had a lot of competition in the last few years with the acceptance of polymer frames and such really catching on, most notably S&W (link provided by another poster here), which is probably the best personal protection pistol out there. Find a gun shop with a range that lets you try several models out to decide.

Life is full of trade-offs, and guns are no exception. Your goals of personal protection and competition, IMO, are incompatible. The reason for this is that a protection weapon must be carried, usually concealed, which means you want it to be small and light, fixed sights and no levers or such to snag on your pocket. You also want a fool proof safety and a firm trigger pull. A competition pistol should have a longer barrel with more heft, for better accuracy and less felt recoil. You’ll also want adjustable sights, an operable safety, and a light trigger.

I disagree with the poster recommending a revolver for personal protection, unless it is to be stored in a drawer. The cylinder is too fat for a purse or pocket, and I’m always worried about it collecting lint and such. Besides, they’re just too damn old-fashioned.

For fun and target shooting I’d recommend either a 1911 style (classic, still modern nearly 100 years later, several great manufacturers), a single action Army type (Ruger makes a nice replica), or on-the-cheap, a Ruger .22 LR pistol (several versions available).

I’ve seen 22LR conversion kits available for Glocks and 1911’s, but the cost is about the same as getting a Ruger 22 LR, so I’ve never tried to go that route.

Forum List

Back