Global Ice loss accelerating.

JLW

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2012
From the polar caps to the glaciers of Europe, Asia and South America, global warming is melting the planet’s ice faster than ever and speeding the inundation of the world’s coastlines.

New research shows the annual melt rate grew from 0.8 trillion tons in the 1990s to 1.3 trillion tons by 2017, and has accelerated most in the places with the most ice—the Greenland and Antarctic ice shelves and sheets.

Those massive systems of land and sea-based ice are melting as fast as the worst-case climate scenarios in major global climate reports, said Thomas Slater, a co-author of the new study in The Cryosphere that measured the meltdown from 1994 to 2017, which covers a timespan when every decade was warmer than the previous one and also includes the 20 warmest years on record.

Thank Heaven’s we have a wonderful new President who is taking this threat seriously.

Good. Better conditions for farming and growing crops.

Not really. Severe drought has lead to a dust bowl and desertification in Syria and elsewhere.
And every 20,000 years rain comes back to the Saharan Desert all the way over the Gulf countries. Based on a slight change with Earth's rotation. Has nothing to do with man. There has been about 5 total mass species extinction events, asteroids/volcanoes, again nothing to do with man.

From the polar caps to the glaciers of Europe, Asia and South America, global warming is melting the planet’s ice faster than ever and speeding the inundation of the world’s coastlines.

New research shows the annual melt rate grew from 0.8 trillion tons in the 1990s to 1.3 trillion tons by 2017, and has accelerated most in the places with the most ice—the Greenland and Antarctic ice shelves and sheets.

Those massive systems of land and sea-based ice are melting as fast as the worst-case climate scenarios in major global climate reports, said Thomas Slater, a co-author of the new study in The Cryosphere that measured the meltdown from 1994 to 2017, which covers a timespan when every decade was warmer than the previous one and also includes the 20 warmest years on record.

Thank Heaven’s we have a wonderful new President who is taking this threat seriously.

Did this happen because Obama lowered the seas?

Florida is underwater? Wow.
In the future obviously. Notice the use of my word “when”. However look at Miami and South Florida . They are already dealing with the issue of rising sea levels. It will only get worse.

Considering the fact that Florida is a Red State and the home of the Trumps, I would think you'd be pleased with them getting flooded out?

BTW, Biden doesn't believe it either. He owns a home on the beach in Delaware, so he doesn't seem too concerned. Public service tycoon Obama doesn't either, after he just spent millions for his Marthas Vineyard home.

Not really. Severe drought has lead to a dust bowl and desertification in Syria and elsewhere.
And every 20,000 years rain comes back to the Saharan Desert all the way over the Gulf countries. Based on a slight change with Earth's rotation. Has nothing to do with man. There has been about 5 total mass species extinction events, asteroids/volcanoes, again nothing to do with man.

It was 30,000 years ago and became arid desert as the glaciers retreated in the north. Before that the Arabian peninsula was a savanna with shallow lakes. I have seen hundreds of core samples in Arabia.

It was 30,000 years ago and became arid desert as the glaciers retreated in the north. Before that the Arabian peninsula was a savanna with shallow lakes. I have seen hundreds of core samples in Arabia.

Because of manmade global warming, right?

I watch this show about a family who lives in Alaska. They always talk about a glacier that used to be in their view when they were younger that is no longer there.

Are you opposed to clean air and water or oceans free of plastic?

CO2 makes plastics now?

This new learning amazes me!

I watch this show about a family who lives in Alaska. They always talk about a glacier that used to be in their view when they were younger that is no longer there.

So? And? I thought Obama fixed all that

CO2 makes plastics now?

You miss the point..

I use to travel to Birmingham, Alabama as a kid.. It was the dirtiest, smelliest city.. perfectly horrible.. Now its not. Old timers from Pittsburg could explain it to you.

Pittsburgh's Dark History - Popular Pittsburgh
Popular Pittsburgh | Life and Events Around the City - Popular Pittsburgh › darkhistory

Pittsburgh was once known as the “Smoky City” or “Hell With the Lid Off” due to the overwhelmingly foul conditions that plagued it for over a century. Its geographic location and natural resource endowments made it an ideal home for the industries that inevitably created the pollution problem. The city’s dark past has been described as a cautionary tale for cities lacking environmental control. Pittsburgh has an extremely long history of …

Attachments

• 1611753615843.jpeg
    1611753615843.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 62

CO2 makes plastics now?

You miss the point..

I use to travel to Birmingham, Alabama as a kid.. It was the dirtiest, smelliest city.. perfectly horrible.. Now its not. Old timers from Pittsburg could explain it to you.

Pittsburgh's Dark History - Popular Pittsburgh
Popular Pittsburgh | Life and Events Around the City - Popular Pittsburgh › darkhistory

Pittsburgh was once known as the “Smoky City” or “Hell With the Lid Off” due to the overwhelmingly foul conditions that plagued it for over a century. Its geographic location and natural resource endowments made it an ideal home for the industries that inevitably created the pollution problem. The city’s dark past has been described as a cautionary tale for cities lacking environmental control. Pittsburgh has an extremely long history of …

Pollution has nothing to do with "global warming" Carbon dioxide, the compound blamed for warm temperatures, isn't pollution.

BTW, Pittsburgh's solution was easy- they just closed all of their industry. Ditto with other cities like Youngstown, Ohio, Beaver Falls, PA and other metropolises of the Rust Belt.

Why are you preaching this BS here, instead of to your buddies in China? They're the ones who are poisoning the world with their pollution, not us.

Besides, everyone knows third-world minorities can't swim, so rising oceans are a solution to a problem.

New Topics

Forum List

Back