Giuliani Opposes Flat Tax

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago
This guy is NOT good for our country.

Giuliani Jeered for Opposing Flat Tax

Jul 7, 5:00 PM (ET)

By RON WORD

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani ran into a buzz saw of opposition Saturday when he explained his opposition to a flat federal income tax.

Giuliani addressed a group of about 500 people in a standing-room only crowd at a town hall meeting at the University of North Florida, answering questions for about 30 minutes on a variety of topics from Iraq and Iran to Social Security and his plan for tax cuts.

Several dozen people jeered when Giuliani, in response to a question, said he would not be in favor of a flat tax.

Full Story: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070707/D8Q7VUIG0.html

The Fairtax is better than the Flat Tax.

But, just for the sake of argument, how exactly would RG cut taxes? Methinks his mouth is writing checks ...... etc etc.

The Fairtax is better than the Flat Tax.

But, just for the sake of argument, how exactly would RG cut taxes? Methinks his mouth is writing checks ...... etc etc.

He would, if elected, propose tax cuts to congress, getting specific bills started through Representatives supportive of his plan as well as Senators. In the end though Congress controls the purse strings.

Any objective review of Reagan and Bush tax cuts will show you they work when thought out and passed with specific goals.

He would, if elected, propose tax cuts to congress, getting specific bills started through Representatives supportive of his plan as well as Senators. In the end though Congress controls the purse strings.

Any objective review of Reagan and Bush tax cuts will show you they work when thought out and passed with specific goals.

Given how Dems want to raise taxes by $400 billion, the choice is clear

Hillary or Rudy

He would, if elected, propose tax cuts to congress, getting specific bills started through Representatives supportive of his plan as well as Senators. In the end though Congress controls the purse strings. And there is the rub. The reality is that anyone can campaign on the platform of tax cutting. But as you said, Congress..... That's what I meant by him writing checks he can't cash.

Any objective review of Reagan and Bush tax cuts will show you they work when thought out and passed with specific goals. Don't get me wrong. I support cutting at a minimum, and scrapping the tax code by replacing it with the fairtax. My objection is folks claiming that Rudy will get it done. With a Dem Congress I don't think any tax reform has an honest chance. Hell, the Fairtax didn't make it past a republican congress. Currently it has about sixty co-sponsors, but, again, reality doesn't point towards it passing.

BTW I also bag on those democrats that criticize the "Bush Tax Cuts" when we know it was Congress all along. So, the comments were not personal.

Until people get as mad as they did over the immigration flap and flood the congressional switchboard to the point it crashes.... no changes, just more of the same.

Given how Dems want to raise taxes by $400 billion, the choice is clear

Hillary or Rudy

Real economic conservatives want to END the redistribution of wealth that the progressive income tax attempts to accomplish.

The flat tax is one answer to that.

The choice between Rudy and Hillary is: Liberal or Liberal-er

RG not being in favour of a flat tax isn't particularly relevant because Congress will not pass it if (when?) he is President.

So why advocate it?

You could say the same thing regarding A LOT of issues, but it doesn't mean we should shut up about them.

Mike Huckabee supports the Fair/Flat Tax!! he's the RIGHT man for the job!!

:)

Guess I am being obtuse today due to a serious lack of coffee. Huckabee supports a fair tax (as opposed to unfair) or the bill (HR25) for the FairTax?

Oh, and to Toro I think, No one is telling anyone to shut up that I can see. We just have to face reality and adjust the operational plan accordingly. The example I gave was to crash the switchboard ala the immigration bill.

Dems want to take back the tax cuts that have given all of us a great economy

snip

If Bill Clinton were president today, I have no doubt the media would proudly trumpet this era as the "Clinton Economy" and extol the glories of the Clinton economic team every chance they got.

Criticizing this administration on this economy is a sham. The truth is, that's one of the things Bush has done pretty well. The economy is strong, the Dow Jones is at a record high, inflation is down. Deficits are down to their lowest level in many years. More than 5.5 million new jobs created over the past three years. Our economy is rolling.

Be honest, Democrats and media. If you are going to refer to Iraq as "Bush's war," then you are honor-bound to refer to the marketplace today as "Bush's economy."

Democrats don't want to acknowledge the strong economy, because that would detract from their message and their full intent to raise your taxes. In fact, today's economic boom is due entirely to the tax relief George Bush and the Republican Congress enacted after his election.

The Democrats want to rescind that tax relief. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are building their campaigns on that pledge.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/8378082.html

Dems want to take back the tax cuts that have given all of us a great economy

snip

If Bill Clinton were president today, I have no doubt the media would proudly trumpet this era as the "Clinton Economy" and extol the glories of the Clinton economic team every chance they got.

Criticizing this administration on this economy is a sham. The truth is, that's one of the things Bush has done pretty well. The economy is strong, the Dow Jones is at a record high, inflation is down. Deficits are down to their lowest level in many years. More than 5.5 million new jobs created over the past three years. Our economy is rolling.

Be honest, Democrats and media. If you are going to refer to Iraq as "Bush's war," then you are honor-bound to refer to the marketplace today as "Bush's economy."

Democrats don't want to acknowledge the strong economy, because that would detract from their message and their full intent to raise your taxes. In fact, today's economic boom is due entirely to the tax relief George Bush and the Republican Congress enacted after his election.

The Democrats want to rescind that tax relief. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are building their campaigns on that pledge.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/8378082.html

Rudy is going to end up being to the left of half of the current Democratic field.

This guy is NOT good for our country.

Full Story: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070707/D8Q7VUIG0.html

Do you have any idea how bad a flat tax is for small business owners. Most people acknowledge that the whole concept was basically "let Steve Forbes keep his fortune untaxed".

It sets a base ownership and doesn't consider net worth in taxation. It also doesn't allow for the types of business deductions that allow small businesses to function.

On the other hand, doesn't surprise me that people who think it's ok to give corporations tax breaks for outsourcing and off-shoring, would like a flat tax.

Do you have any idea how bad a flat tax is for small business owners. Most people acknowledge that the whole concept was basically "let Steve Forbes keep his fortune untaxed".

It sets a base ownership and doesn't consider net worth in taxation. It also doesn't allow for the types of business deductions that allow small businesses to function.

On the other hand, doesn't surprise me that people who think it's ok to give corporations tax breaks for outsourcing and off-shoring, would like a flat tax.

There are MANY, MANY, different ways to institute a flat tax. You have described one that pretty much no one advocates any more.

Thanks for another useless post!

"Fortunes" currently aren't taxed, except at death via the inheritance tax. How you structure an income tax is irrelevant to the wealth of the individual. Today, if someone has $1,000,000,000 and earns $0 during the year, then his income tax is $0. That's the way it should be.

A falt tax would be a boom to the economy. People would not have to spend money to have their taxes done, the IRS could be downsized, and it would be fair to all taxpayers

Once again Jilly, corporations so not pay any taxes - the customers of the corporations do

A falt tax would be a boom to the economy. People would not have to spend money to have their taxes done, the IRS could be downsized, and it would be fair to all taxpayers

Once again Jilly, corporations so not pay any taxes - the customers of the corporations do

But YOUR guy is against the flat tax. YOU are NOT a "hardcore conservative". You are a LIBERAL.

If I had a choice I'd go Fairtax over Flat Tax, and I'd go flat over what we have now.

Problem is that flat is still income based. That means you still have to tell your life story to the .gov every year thus eliminating privacy. It also means that the rich are not taxed except at the capital gains area. So, raising taxes on the rich (income tax) is a red herring. It also means that the IRS will not go away. It also means that people will still scream about it not being a progressive tax which will open it up to modification. Crooks and Tourists are still exempt as well.

And yet, it would be far better than what we have now as it would lessen the power of Congress to reward and punish via taxation. For that reason alone, it won't happen.

Forum List

Back