Girls on the boys wrestling team

Big_D

Jul 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Now, I know this might cause me to obtain flack from some people but before I begin let me just say that I have no problem with women fighting in our military and for the most part, I have no problem with high school girls playing on boy's teams when a girl's team is not available. However, the exception to the latter would be high school wrestling. To me it makes no sense to allow girls to go up against boys. Beyond the obvious reason that boys and girls should not be rolling around touching each other around their chest and crotches, my main rationale is from the boy's perspective. For them, it is a lose-lose scenario. If they win their match, they beat a girl. If they lose, they're going to obtain plenty of harassment from their fellow classmates. I see no reason that boys should be placed under further stress because a girl has decided to join the sport. The following piece written by a female sums my point up better than I can:

Last year, a promising Minnesota high school wrestler had to wrestle a girl at his sectional meet in order to proceed to the state tournament. His school, a private Christian institution, generally requires its wrestlers to forfeit to girls, thereby incurring a loss for both the wrestler and the team. The young man clearly didn't want to wrestle the girl. But given the stakes, after consulting with his father and his coach, he decided to proceed.

As the embarrassed boy walked out on the mat, spectators began to laugh. He quickly flipped the girl to her back, but couldn't bring himself to pin her, which required pushing directly on her chest. For about 40 seconds, the boy remained frozen. Finally his coach, in frustration, shouted, "Just do it!" The boy made his move, pinning the girl to the mat. But walking off, he looked defeated, not victorious. With hanging head, he strode -- angry and humiliated -- straight to locker room.

It seems that now a days, the only emotions that we care about is the girl's. If a girl wants to join any sport they are told to go for it. But, if a boy is unwilling to fight a girl they are told to tough it up. Now, I know if a girl wanted to join the wrestling team and was denied for what was written, it wouldn't be fair to them. However, it is even more unfair to boys to have to risk humiliation and placing them in a very uncomfortable position by grabbing women where they have been previously informed to not touch. When I was looking up similar articles on the subject, I found a piece written by a male wrestler who stated that whenever he and the other boys would go up against girls, they would go out of their way to not touch their privates. We all know that it would be a lot more uncomfortable for the boys than it would be for the girls. Furthermore, boys in the past have attempted to join girls sports when an option for them was unavailable and were denied in their attempt. Previously, one boy wanted to join the girls gymnastics team and was denied. Another boy was denied to even join the girls bowling team. Perhaps, I could be convinced in the rationale for the former but definitely not the latter. It might be unfair from a girl's perspective to be deprived of wrestling but it is just as unfair for a boy to be deprived from gymnastic and bowling. Tough it up boys, because a girl wants to get what she wants.

Last edited:
^ I wouldn't have minded had they done this when I was in school. Then I wouldn't have had to take typing....

This was a 'topic' 20 years ago. Now it's not so uncommon for girls to be on the team. What's most unfair is that it really doesn't give talent female wrestlers as much of a chance as they should have. Gradually you are seeing more and more girls teams and this is being followed by more and more girls wrestling programs at the collegiate level. That's the real solution.

Forum List

Back