Ginger Rogers

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Ginger Rogers career spanned 65 years in every field of show business, from vaudeville to Broadway to movies to radio to television. During the 1940s, she was one of the highest-paid, most sought-after Hollywood stars. She was most remembered for the partnership with Astaire in sparkling musicals of Depression-era America. However she is a fine actress. Her best dramatic role was in Kitty Foyle for which she won an academy award. In comedy, Bachelor Mother was among her best. I particularly like one her lesser know movies, I'll Be Seeing You made in 1942. From the title, you would assume this movie is about a solider off to war leaving his true love at home. However, you would be wrong which is one of the things that makes the movie interesting. Top Hat is at least one of her best musicals. Although, a number of her movies are available free on Youtube, her best movies will cost a few dollars on Prime or other sources.

BTW Youtube is good source for free movies, however the quality of video and sound varies a lot.

Kitty Foyle

Top Hat

Bachelor Mother

Last edited:
She did everything Fred Astaire did only backwards and in heels. :)
Like a lot of girls then, she took dance lessons and won a dance contest when she was 14, (1925). The prize was 6 months of performing at the Orpheum Theatres. She was a high school student at that time but did not graduate. She traveled the vaudeville circuit with Eddie Foy and ended up on Broadway. She married a dancer and comedian at 17 and formed a dance team however the marriage and dance team did not last long. She debuted on Broadway in 1929. I did no find any formal training in acting. I guess it was on the job training.

When I was about 9 years years old living with my uncle in LA, he gave a party and Ginger was one of his guess. I never actually met her but she was the most gorgeous person there. I wish I had the chance to talk to her but that was not to be.

Forum List

Back