Gibson Guitars Settles With DoJ...

IGetItAlready

Rookie
Jul 27, 2012
Fearing Their Imports Would Be Ceased.

Gibson Settles...Feds Return Wood

“The alternative was pretty onerous,” he said. “We would have had to have gone to trial and we would have been precluded from buying wood from our major source country. For the ability to carry on with the business and remove this onerous Sword of Damocles, if you will, we feel this is about as good a settlement as we can get.”

This is a bunch of bullshit over Gibson importing Rosewood from India that the feds had at first said was required to be been made into finished finger boards in India rather than being imported raw for American workers to finish.

The feds busted into 3 Gibson factories with guns drawn, confiscated computer HDs and guitars and materials from the shops and when it's all said and done the feds admit there was nothing wrong with the Rosewood being imported the way Gibson had imported it, agreed to return the wood but charge the company a total of $350k in the settlement...which is on top of the $2.5 million the company has so far paid in fighting the feds.

Nearly $3 million that this one, great American company will now NOT be using to create jobs or expand operations.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Gibson Guitar Corporation has agreed to pay $350,000 in penalties to settle federal charges that it illegally imported ebony Madagascar to use for fret boards, ending a criminal investigation that had drawn fire from conservatives as an example of over-reaching by the government, the Justice Department announced on Monday.

The guitar maker agreed to pay a $300,000 fine and to donate $50,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to promote the protection of endangered hardwood trees, like ebony and rosewood. In return, the government deferred prosecution of the company for criminal violations of the Lacey Act, which since May 2008 has made it illegal to import wood that was harvested and exported illegally under another country’s laws.

From the OP. Sooo, Gibson broke the law and settled by paying $350,000. Laws are laws. Why didn't they admit guilt and settle in the beginning rather than wasting $2.5 million to fight it?

• Banned
Gibson Guitar Corporation has agreed to pay $350,000 in penalties to settle federal charges that it illegally imported ebony Madagascar to use for fret boards, ending a criminal investigation that had drawn fire from conservatives as an example of over-reaching by the government, the Justice Department announced on Monday.

The guitar maker agreed to pay a $300,000 fine and to donate $50,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to promote the protection of endangered hardwood trees, like ebony and rosewood. In return, the government deferred prosecution of the company for criminal violations of the Lacey Act, which since May 2008 has made it illegal to import wood that was harvested and exported illegally under another country’s laws.

From the OP. Sooo, Gibson broke the law and settled by paying $350,000. Laws are laws. Why didn't they admit guilt and settle in the beginning rather than wasting $2.5 million to fight it?

They didn't break the law fool. The Madagascar wood had been signed off on by EPA bulldogs as being in compliance with the tariff laws they were originally accused of breaking.

Don't be so stupid if you can help it.

• Banned
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a deal has been reached to drop the criminal case against Gibson Guitar Corp. after the instrument maker acknowledged its exotic wood imports violated environmental laws.

More: Gibson Guitar acknowledges exotic wood violation » Knoxville News Sentinel

What part of "acknowledges" don't you understand?

Federal prosecutors say a deal has been reached to drop the criminal case against Gibson Guitar Corp. after the instrument maker acknowledged its exotic wood imports violated environmental laws.

The feds are going to say whatever they feel covers their ass.
Gibson's CEO however says no laws were broken and the settlement agreed to only because continuing the fight would cost millions more and halt production in the meantime.

If this wood were in fact "contraband" why would the feds return it wise guy?

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a deal has been reached to drop the criminal case against Gibson Guitar Corp. after the instrument maker acknowledged its exotic wood imports violated environmental laws.

More: Gibson Guitar acknowledges exotic wood violation » Knoxville News Sentinel

What part of "acknowledges" don't you understand?

So the evil BIG GUITAR manufactures are in the republicans pocket, isnt that how you frame every debate? pooor trees...awwwwwww

Fearing Their Imports Would Be Ceased.

Gibson Settles...Feds Return Wood

“The alternative was pretty onerous,” he said. “We would have had to have gone to trial and we would have been precluded from buying wood from our major source country. For the ability to carry on with the business and remove this onerous Sword of Damocles, if you will, we feel this is about as good a settlement as we can get.”

This is a bunch of bullshit over Gibson importing Rosewood from India that the feds had at first said was required to be been made into finished finger boards in India rather than being imported raw for American workers to finish.

The feds busted into 3 Gibson factories with guns drawn, confiscated computer HDs and guitars and materials from the shops and when it's all said and done the feds admit there was nothing wrong with the Rosewood being imported the way Gibson had imported it, agreed to return the wood but charge the company a total of $350k in the settlement...which is on top of the $2.5 million the company has so far paid in fighting the feds.

Nearly $3 million that this one, great American company will now NOT be using to create jobs or expand operations.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

That sucks. I was hoping to get a Les Paul at a fed auction.

BTW, your analysis of what was going on sucks. They were importing exotic woods, without a license. It was pirate woods coming out of Madagascar that got them nailed. I bet you also like blood diamond trade.

It's fucking wood, who CARES? plant another tree for God's sake. Oh that's right it's a special tree, that the POOR folks in Madigascar want to sell. So libtards who do you care for more, the poor or the envirocrazies......tick tock tick tock!

I find it funny that liberals are the ones telling poor countries, not to use their resources. LOLOLOLOLOL

You better start with an Epiphone and work your way up. I think I have one lying around behind one of my mains that I'll sell you for $50.00 ;)

BTW, your analysis of what was going on sucks. They were importing exotic woods, without a license. It was pirate woods coming out of Madagascar that got them nailed. I bet you also like blood diamond trade.

That was the claim the feds made for their actions but it's simply NOT the case.
Gibson got their wood back, which btw was procured in full compliance with EPA regs and the tariff laws they were accused of skirting.

I find it funny that liberals are the ones telling poor countries, not to use their resources. LOLOLOLOLOL

Gibson had two licenses from two Central American countries for those woods. This was poached wood. Like it or not, importing exotic woods requires a license. Not that you give a rats ass about a limited and rare commodity. I bet you'd buy blood diamonds.

You better start with an Epiphone and work your way up. I think I have one lying around behind one of my mains that I'll sell you for $50.00 ;)

That was the claim the feds made for their actions but it's simply NOT the case.
Gibson got their wood back, which btw was procured in full compliance with EPA regs and the tariff laws they were accused of skirting.

Already own a Gibson acoustic (it was a 1970, forgot the model, that I gave to my daughter when she graduated high school), a Guild dreadknot acoustic, a pre-CBS Fender Jag, and a Gibson ES 175, and a 1980 Ibanez Studio II, that I goosed up with DiMarzio Hot Rods. Love Gibson's products. They produce what I think is the sweetest neck out there. That doesn't exempt them from essentially using rare, exotic woods, without an import license.

Last edited:

Gibson had two licenses from two Central American countries for those woods. This was poached wood. Like it or not, importing exotic woods requires a license. Not that you give a rats ass about a limited and rare commodity. I bet you'd buy blood diamonds.

Then boycott them, or is that only if they're against gay marriage? So does the country in question have a right to sell their natural resources?

Even though he doesn't know shit from Shinola, buckeye45_73 is like a little bee that feels it must pollinate each thread - multiple times.

Then boycott them, or is that only if they're against gay marriage? So does the country in question have a right to sell their natural resources?

Can't see myself buying a new guitar. I'm happy with my collection. A cheap Les Paul would have been fun to own, but I'm not going out to buy a new one or a classic model. The imports from the country in question, i.e. Madagascar, has a big problem with poaching exotic and rare woods. Gibson had no import license for that country, nor evidence that they were legally purchased. Gibson's initial response was it was a contractor's fault. Bullshit.

Can't see myself buying a new guitar. I'm happy with my collection. A cheap Les Paul would have been fun to own, but I'm not going out to buy a new one or a classic model. The imports from the country in question, i.e. Madagascar, has a big problem with poaching exotic and rare woods. Gibson had no import license for that country, nor evidence that they were legally purchased. Gibson's initial response was it was a contractor's fault. Bullshit.

First of all with such a collection, dont you feel guilty about all the poor people?

Second, we're talking about WOOD, it grows from trees. Is this old growth wood? is this magical wood?

Third Liberals like you complain about poor countries being poor, one reason is, they cant use the resources they have, because of environmental policies, so which is more important, the environment or poor people?

First of all with such a collection, dont you feel guilty about all the poor people?

Second, we're talking about WOOD, it grows from trees. Is this old growth wood? is this magical wood?

Third Liberals like you complain about poor countries being poor, one reason is, they cant use the resources they have, because of environmental policies, so which is more important, the environment or poor people?

So you actually believe that stripping a resource is a good idea? You're an idiot. Ask the people who know what they're talking about, about the Pacific Yew, which was treated as junk wood, until it produced Taxol. Want to just strip down those puppies, and hang around for a 200 year harvest cycle, so women would have a double chance of survival from ovarian cancer.

You really are quite an intellectual lightweight.

So you actually believe that stripping a resource is a good idea? You're an idiot. Ask the people who know what they're talking about, about the Pacific Yew, which was treated as junk wood, until it produced Taxol. Want to just strip down those puppies, and hang around for a 200 year harvest cycle, so women would have a double chance of survival from ovarian cancer.

You really are quite an intellectual lightweight.

Nope, I asked you a question, do countries have the right to control their resources? or are you going to dictate what they can and cant use, you sound like a fascist.
2nd these poor countries cant use their resource, what should they do?
So you're taking the environment over the poor folks? i'm not saying it's wrong, but I wanna keep that in the ole back pocket....it just might come in handy ;)

Forum List

Back