Gibson Guitars Filing for Bankruptcy

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1000x563_cmsv2_18519660-6886-59e1-add2-4ceb5db16798-3142578.jpg

Nowhere in the article (seemingly centered on European circumstances) does it deal with the US government raiding their facilities over wood they claimed was protected by environmental laws. (The wood was later returned and almost all of the instruments were sold)

It does hint that stores are centered on pros and not first-time buyers.

Legendary guitar maker Gibson has filed for bankruptcy in the USA. Gibson Brands has a reported debt north of 400 million euros, with its other musical divisions like Epiphone or Wurlitzer also in the doldrums as sales of musical instuments decline.

Once near-ubiquitous in the hands of stars and guitar heroes from the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix to Neil Young and many, many more, the guitar is no longer the instrument of choice for the EDM generation, who are more likely to buy synthesisers or other electronic kit to make music.

More @ Gibson goes looking for the lost chord as the company files for bankruptcy

Rock is, sadly, as dead as it's ever been. Fender is down big, too. Probably the other big names, as well.

Also, Gibson should not have bought the protected wood.

I'm pretty sure the music industry is going to survive.
You might want to pick up a Les Paul while you still can.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I'm not a professional musician but love music of almost all genres. I've noticed that more and more instruments are being replaced by electronics.

I remember when my foster father bought a new home organ and how neat it was to be able to create sounds like drums and other stuff. Far more sophisticated today.

A bit off topic but I find myself often wondering just who came up with the backgrounds and effects for various songs. Why was that particular instrument or combination selected?

Just curious.

Rock is, sadly, as dead as it's ever been. Fender is down big, too. Probably the other big names, as well.

Also, Gibson should not have bought the protected wood.
They bought it legally according to the laws in the country where it grows.

Forum List

Back