Giant Glacier Breaks on Anniversary of Global Warming

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
On Thursday, scientists discovered that a huge mass of ice four times the size of Manhattan had broken free of Petermann glacier in northwestern Greenland. The "ice island" was the largest calving event on the glacier since 1962, and researchers estimated Petermann lost nearly a quarter of its floating ice tongue in one go.

As it turns out, the new ice island was born just in time for the 35th anniversary of the scientific paper that coined the term "global warming." On August 8,1975, the journal Science published the article entitled "Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?" by Wallace Smith Broecker of Columbia University.

Broecker's predictions proved to be pretty accurate.

Thirty-five years later, Broecker's predictions have turned out more or less as he called them (and thousands of scientific papers now back up the trend he identified).

Giant Glacier Breaks on Anniversary of Global Warming : Discovery News

On Thursday, scientists discovered that a huge mass of ice four times the size of Manhattan had broken free of Petermann glacier in northwestern Greenland. The "ice island" was the largest calving event on the glacier since 1962, and researchers estimated Petermann lost nearly a quarter of its floating ice tongue in one go.

As it turns out, the new ice island was born just in time for the 35th anniversary of the scientific paper that coined the term "global warming." On August 8,1975, the journal Science published the article entitled "Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?" by Wallace Smith Broecker of Columbia University.

Thirty-five years later, Broecker's predictions have turned out more or less as he called them (and thousands of scientific papers now back up the trend he identified).

There is however, very little evidence MAN is causing global warming. The period 1998 to present put to bed the notion it was CO2 causing the problem. you see from 1998 to present there has been almost no warming yet CO2 continued to rise during those years.

There is however, very little evidence MAN is causing global warming. The period 1998 to present put to bed the notion it was CO2 causing the problem. you see from 1998 to present there has been almost no warming yet CO2 continued to rise during those years.

Can you say "sun cycle"? Now who's picking out one variable? :cool:

Wait!!!!!! Global Warming had an anniversary????? Damn, I forgot to get it anything.

Maybe I will leave my car idling out in the driveway tonight to celebrate Global Warming's anniversary.

Rick

Wait!!!!!! Global Warming had an anniversary????? Damn, I forgot to get it anything.

Maybe I will leave my car idling out in the driveway tonight to celebrate Global Warming's anniversary.

Rick

Glaciers have been breaking since the ice age ended. The only way this one is news is if it lands on Al Gore.

Rick

LMAO Rick.

You should leave all your appliances and lights on as well. I'm sure that will ad to GLOBAL WARMING.

Oh yeah and if you got em, smoke em.

In honor of the anniversary of Global Warming, I'm going to run out and buy a bunch of dry ice, and let it sublimate on my deck.

Forum List

Back