Get This: Obamacare Costs Skyrocketing Because of New Drugs & Devices

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
How dare you Little People want longer and improved lives!
We exempted ourselves for a reason, SUCKAS!

Sheiner, the Brookings Institution economist, says health spending may slow if drug and device makers stop developing new technology or drugs as quickly. But she thinks health care will keep climbing until people decide they aren't going to burn any more of their pay check on it — and we're not there yet.

More hogwash from the elite:
Live Stream: Chicago Cubs title parade

The logic is sound, but the premises are tough to digest.
They are saying healthcare costs would be a lot cheaper if we all just used leaches.

And it would.

I am not sure why we care about healthcare when we drink, smoke, and get fat (and the inner city people shoot each other).

Seems like healthcare is a leaf, when we need to be looking at the roots.

Still waiting for the big health savings dividends from reducing smoking in the population.........

Still waiting for the big health savings dividends from reducing smoking in the population.........

Was that part of the 2,500 ?

We spend 8,700 per person per year on average.

No savings happens until that starts to come down.

Now, if you listen to the left wingers, that will happen by cutting doctors salaries. Of course, then we'll have better doctors..won't we ?

No savings happens until that starts to come down.

Now, if you listen to the left wingers, that will happen by cutting doctors salaries.

You could also try listening to numbers.

From the 2014 MGMA Cost Survey of physician practices:
Personnel Costs are the Bulk of Total Costs Total physician, total nonphysician provider, and total support staff costs alone represent over 85% of the total practice costs in Multispecialty practices (45.90%, 4.18%, and 37.16%, respectively). Building and occupancy and medical and surgical supply costs represent just under 7% of total costs, and ancillary services costs is just 1.26% of total costs.

And from a detailed look at hospital costs in Massachusetts from the previous decade (the story has not fundamentally changed):
Labor is the largest single component of hospital costs, representing nearly two-thirds of total hospital expenses.

This is what health spending is. Those costs are what insurers collect your premiums to pay.

Whenever someone talks about outright lowering costs (not cost growth, but literally dropping the amount spent year-over-year), whether that be the single-payer crowd or the rightwingers promising whatever magic wand they think they can wave, they are necessarily talking about either cutting wages/salaries (including for doctors) in the health sector or laying people off or some combination of the two.

That's why people who understand health policy talk about bending the cost curve, changing the trajectory of health spending relative to the rest of the economy over time, not outright reducing our per person spend overnight.

And why is it they need so much support staff,,,,,,,can ya say regulations......knew ya could. Workman's comp care is the worse.almost always do e backwards nowadays

And why is it they need so much support staff,,,,,,,can ya say regulations......knew ya could. Workman's comp care is the worse.almost always do e backwards nowadays

And so much more.

I'd love to see them cut nurses salaries at a hospital. You could turn the place into a warehouse.

And so much more.

I'd love to see them cut nurses salaries at a hospital. You could turn the place into a warehouse.
Dr's office I used to go to had one nurse and one DR......didnt need records transcriber, or secretary to follow him around writing down everything he says. Got better care too

And so much more.

Dr's office I used to go to had one nurse and one DR......didnt need records transcriber, or secretary to follow him around writing down everything he says. Got better care too

Agreed.

Many Dr.'s offices are like mills.

Because they're businesses. "Support staff" in physician practices means business operations and finance personnel, front office support staff, clinical support staff, and ancillary support staff. Finance, customer service, and operations are all things a business has to attend to.

And hospitals are often like small cities (not to mention they're often the largest employer in their region).

Regardless, my point remains. A lot of people work in health care. It's the economic anchor of countless communities across the country and in many states the largest employer will be a health care system. Ultimately the bulk of your insurance premium goes to pay those salaries. It's impossible to disentangle "health care costs" from "people's jobs/salaries." Which is why the problem is so complex.

Point was think there has been lot of unnecessary bloat

Which is why when insurers have to abide by the same forms and regulations - something the PPACA was designed to do - there would be less bloat. Except in "I DOAN WANNA!!!!!" Red States, of course.

Point was think there has been lot of unnecessary bloat

Bloat, is by defnintion, unecessary.

Please, for the sake of discussion, describe the bloat you are referencing.

I agree something is out of whack.

We pay 8,500 per person per year.....that just aint right.

Forum List

Back