German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Unable to engage the Taliban directly on the ground, frustrated by their government’s inability to acknowledge they are even engaged in a war and angered by the lack of popular support for their mission, the badges are a low-key mutiny that has sent shock waves through the top brass of the Bundeswehr.
Soldiers were warned this week that it is illegal to sew the cloth patches on to their uniforms.

German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war | Mail Online

They just don't make Germans like they used too.

End this stupid war now.

Unable to engage the Taliban directly on the ground, frustrated by their government’s inability to acknowledge they are even engaged in a war and angered by the lack of popular support for their mission, the badges are a low-key mutiny that has sent shock waves through the top brass of the Bundeswehr.
Soldiers were warned this week that it is illegal to sew the cloth patches on to their uniforms.

German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war | Mail Online

End this stupid war now.
I assume you protested going into Iraq, when Bush/Cheney were selling it, right?

End this stupid war now.
I assume you protested going into Iraq, when Bush/Cheney were selling it, right?
I protested going to afghanistan when Bush tried to sell it, long before both parties thought up Iraq.

End this stupid war now.

I didn't protest it, but I didn't really agree with it. Of course I was just home from another engagement with a clear mission that was about to lose resources, for what? WMD's? Afghan had a clear mission that has become murky at best. The Afghan war has in all actuality turned into a drug war. Good people are getting killed for no apparent reason.

this is awesome. the real revolution will happen when the military puts down their guns and walk away. hopefully these soliders actions become contagious

this is awesome. the real revolution will happen when the military puts down their guns and walk away. hopefully these soliders actions become contagious

Yep, and maybe bullets will turn into sunshine and bombs will turn into daisies and everyone will get along nobody will want to kill us just for existing. :cool:

End this stupid war now.

I didn't protest it, but I didn't really agree with it. Of course I was just home from another engagement with a clear mission that was about to lose resources, for what? WMD's? Afghan had a clear mission that has become murky at best. The Afghan war has in all actuality turned into a drug war. Good people are getting killed for no apparent reason.
I think it is interesting we invaded right before the time they harvest poppy plants.

I think it is interesting we invaded right before the time they harvest poppy plants.

I don't. I find it interesting that we invaded when found out that the Taliban was supporting Al Qaeda and that Afghan was the center of operations for Al Qaeda.

I don't. I find it interesting that we invaded when found out that the Taliban was supporting Al Qaeda and that Afghan was the center of operations for Al Qaeda.

I just said I find it interesting. ;)

And if it was the center of operations, why did we pretty much put Afghanistan on the back burner and invade iraq?

I just said I find it interesting. ;)

And if it was the center of operations, why did we pretty much put Afghanistan on the back burner and invade iraq?

Beats the shit out of me. Trust me, I was pretty mad about it too. We were lied to. The why doesn't really matter there anymore either.

Best I can tell, because they consider us infidels. Beyond that, I could give a shit. They blew up a couple of buildings with airplanes killing thousands of my fellow Americans. The why really doesn't matter to me anymore.

And so the dogs continue to chase their tails.....

Okay. Then enlighten me oh great one from down under. ;)

I got a sneaking suspicion that when shit starts blowing up in New Zealand, you wouldn't be so smug about it.

Okay. Then enlighten me oh great one from down under. ;)

I got a sneaking suspicion that when shit starts blowing up in New Zealand, you wouldn't be so smug about it.

I got a sneaking suspicion that NZ would not have military bases in countries where the majority of people are:
1) Not of the same religion
2) Are not under the yolk of tyranny
3) Don't want us there

It goes like this:
1) A super power puts military bases in a country whereby the majority of people in said country do not want them there. This country also happens to be a dictatorship. Unfortunately for the population the leaders of the country where the bases are, happen to be real friendly with the politicians of the super power. Neither give a shit about the population of the country. The irony being, the super power is a country that sees itself as the beacon of freedom in the world.
2) Along comes some folk who ask the super power to leave their country or else. These people have no power at all in their country, but they know - and anybody with half a brain knows - they speak for a large percentage of the population. However, because they are disenfranchised and have no power, the leadership of both countries tell them to get stuffed. So these people (now called terrorists) start blowing shit up to make a point. Super power gets hit a couple of times, but still gives them the bird.
3) The terrorists then decide to make a point. Super power notices.
4) Super power invades two countries and puts the baddies to the sword, while creating a shitload more enemies because suddenly poor old Farmer Ahmed and his wife Fatima get their kids blown up as collateral damage.
5) And people like you say shit like "The why doesn't matter any more"....

The sad thing is, something similar will probably happen in forty years time and nobody will have a clue why. Just history repeating itself...

Last edited:

I think you misunderstand why they are protesting. It's not against the war, but against Government action to apply the German constitution to the letter. This prevents German troops from acting as an efficient fighting force since their combat role is severely restricted by Government imposed limits. You don't send quality troops to a war zone and deploy them as REMFs.

I think you misunderstand why they are protesting. It's not against the war, but against Government action to apply the German constitution to the letter. This prevents German troops from acting as an efficient fighting force since their combat role is severely restricted by Government imposed limits. You don't send quality troops to a war zone and deploy them as REMFs.

I'm shocked that we let the Germans have guns. Look what happened last time! :lol:

Joking aside, my understanding is that they are protesting the attitude of their government, not the war. They are offended that their role in theater is not recognized and supported by their government. I am sure that if the German people were aware of how well their guys are doing there, they would be proud of them.

I think it's kind of sad that people want to withdraw before the job is done. We did that in Iraq first time around and look how that turned out. Had we finished it properly in '91, we wouldn't be back there now and Iraq wouldn't be a mess still.

We need to learn the lesson and finish Afghanistan right. Not pull out because we don't like the reasons behind it. The reasons are immaterial now, we're there. Finish it - preferably quickly and bring them all home ASAP.

I'm shocked that we let the Germans have guns. Look what happened last time! :lol:

Joking aside, my understanding is that they are protesting the attitude of their government, not the war. They are offended that their role in theater is not recognized and supported by their government. I am sure that if the German people were aware of how well their guys are doing there, they would be proud of them.

I think it's kind of sad that people want to withdraw before the job is done. We did that in Iraq first time around and look how that turned out. Had we finished it properly in '91, we wouldn't be back there now and Iraq wouldn't be a mess still.

We need to learn the lesson and finish Afghanistan right. Not pull out because we don't like the reasons behind it. The reasons are immaterial now, we're there. Finish it - preferably quickly and bring them all home ASAP.

According to latest polls in Germany by German State Television, 70 per cent of population want their troops home.

blitzumfrageafghanistaneinsatz102_v-gross16x9.jpg

In another news, German State Television reports, that CIA 's "Red Cell" (propaganda division) together with Communication Coordinator of Hillary Clinton are in preparation to produce PR-Propaganda in Germany against the growing opposition to Afghanistan War.
The propaganda strategy is built upon building fears in case Germany withdraws, that terror risk for Germany would rise, drug flow into Germany would rise, and Germany would face illegal immigration from Afganistan.
Combined is this strategy with increased appointements of German media with Afghan women, where Afghan women "whine" about Taliban.
According to CIA, German women are most tired of Afghanistan war.

The whole story was uncovered from Julian Assange from Wikileaks.
German State Television did request opinion from experts on this story.
Experts say, there are no doubts to the authenticity of WikiLeaks documents.

German State TV
CIA entwirft Afghanistan-PR für Deutschland | tagesschau.de

In the comments of the story, German commentators vow to donate to WikiLeaks for standing up to democratic principles.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back