Georgia counties are suing Trump for legal fees following his failed voter fraud lawsuits

I'm glad that these counties are going to hold trump's feet to the fire for wasting their time and money, and the courts' time as well. I hope that more jurisdictions will do the same. The idiots who represented trump never bothered to do any legal research before filing baseless complaints, and they seemed not to know the basic rules that are taught in the first year of law school.

You should NOT be glad.
Trump is irrelevant, but this sets a precedent for people to use law suits to intimidate. That is wrong. Trumps team are correct that Spanish voting computers should NOT have been used because they can never be verified. Also voting machines should NEVER be put on a public network. Its not as bad as butterfly ballots and hanging chads, but there were some voting irregularities, and there always has to be complete freedom to investigate to be sure.
It is absolutely impossible to prove the voting was not effected in some way. I don't think it was in a significant way, but there is no way to prove these suits are frivolous.

ROTFLMAO!

Good luck getting any money from Trump--I'm sure he thinks it's the people's responsibility:

Two counties in Georgia have filed lawsuits seeking to recover legal fees from former President Donald Trump which he incurred as part of a failed campaign to prove widespread voter fraud in November's presidential election.
Cobb County and DeKalb County on Monday filed court motions seeking to recoup the costs of attorney's fees incurred in failed legal cases alleging voter fraud which Trump brought against them in December. Both motions seek to recover the costs from Trump as well as Georgia GOP chairman David Shafer.
The election supervisors of Cobb and DeKalb counties were among those named in a failed lawsuit filed in Fulton County Superior Court by the Trump campaign in December which sought to throw out the result of Georgia's presidential election, which President Joe Biden won by a relatively narrow margin.
The Trump campaign filed dozens of other lawsuits across the country seeking to overturn the election result which also failed.
Cobb County's motion said that Janine Eveler, the county's elections director, and the Cobb County Board of Elections spent over $10,000 defending Trump's baseless claims.
It said the claims "were found to be procedurally deficient, factually unsupported, or both," and said the fees represented "just a fraction" of the fees incurred by a total of fifteen counties who also faced lawsuits.
"Given the number of failed lawsuits filed by the former President and his campaign, [Trump and others] apparently believed that they could file their baseless and legally deficient actions with impunity, with no regard for the costs extracted from the taxpayers' coffers or the consequences to the democratic foundations of our country," Cobb County's motion stated.

DeKalb County's motion states that it had spent more than $6,000 dollars defending itself against "unsubstantiated and frivolous claims" of state law violations, voter fraud, absentee ballot processing, and other unproven allegations.
Lawsuits are the way to go.
Is it possible that the courts will save the US from misinformation and lies ?
The Southern Poverty Law Center figured out decades ago that the way to break the power of the KKK was to sue its leaders and break them financially.

That is a disgusting and illegal abuse of the judicial system.
Doesn't matter if they deserve it or if the outcome is one you like.
It is still wrong.

ROTFLMAO!

Good luck getting any money from Trump--I'm sure he thinks it's the people's responsibility:

Two counties in Georgia have filed lawsuits seeking to recover legal fees from former President Donald Trump which he incurred as part of a failed campaign to prove widespread voter fraud in November's presidential election.
Cobb County and DeKalb County on Monday filed court motions seeking to recoup the costs of attorney's fees incurred in failed legal cases alleging voter fraud which Trump brought against them in December. Both motions seek to recover the costs from Trump as well as Georgia GOP chairman David Shafer.
The election supervisors of Cobb and DeKalb counties were among those named in a failed lawsuit filed in Fulton County Superior Court by the Trump campaign in December which sought to throw out the result of Georgia's presidential election, which President Joe Biden won by a relatively narrow margin.
The Trump campaign filed dozens of other lawsuits across the country seeking to overturn the election result which also failed.
Cobb County's motion said that Janine Eveler, the county's elections director, and the Cobb County Board of Elections spent over $10,000 defending Trump's baseless claims.
It said the claims "were found to be procedurally deficient, factually unsupported, or both," and said the fees represented "just a fraction" of the fees incurred by a total of fifteen counties who also faced lawsuits.
"Given the number of failed lawsuits filed by the former President and his campaign, [Trump and others] apparently believed that they could file their baseless and legally deficient actions with impunity, with no regard for the costs extracted from the taxpayers' coffers or the consequences to the democratic foundations of our country," Cobb County's motion stated.

DeKalb County's motion states that it had spent more than $6,000 dollars defending itself against "unsubstantiated and frivolous claims" of state law violations, voter fraud, absentee ballot processing, and other unproven allegations.
The Southern Poverty Law Center figured out decades ago that the way to break the power of the KKK was to sue its leaders and break them financially.

It is still wrong.
Its better than leading a few thousand nutjobs in an insurrection.

It is illegal to sue in order to recover costs that come from election investigation.
But even more to the point, the claim there were any court costs involved over election investigation or court action, is an obvious lie.
Governments that run elections have legal staff who handle this at no additional cost at all.
There is no one who spend a cent more due to court cases over the election, except for Trump.
And an attempt to make challenge pay, is totally illegal and wrong.
You can't have rights if you start making them expensive.

You're wrong.
If no evidence is found you can be held liable.
Just like a person calling the coast guard about a nonexistent boat that capsized.
An attempt is what they are doing and is not wrong or illegal.
Happens all the time.

Poster Rigby5 makes a cogent point; however, if I was arguing this case I'd concentrate on the fact that the original votes had been counted and certified by the authorities. So there was some validation already made. And the Trump Campaign's actions, and Trump's own Tweets and repeated oral statements added a significant element of egregiousness.
And then the repeated re-counts did NOT show any vote-total change that would have made a difference.

We all heard the COO of Georgia's Department of State, Gabriel Sterling, publicly admonish Trump and his team that "Somebody is going to get killed" by their repeated falsehoods. And Trump's phone call directly to a Georgia elections investigator to persuade him to change results. Not to mention the recorded phone call everybody heard of Don Trump trying to strong arm the Secretary of State, Raffensberger, to "find" 11,000+ votes, 'just one more than needed' for him, despite Trump knowing, and his assembled lawyers on that call, despite all of them knowing that the Georgia count hand already been certified by the duly authorized officials. The count was official, and he still wanted Raffensberger to change the numbers.

So, if the Trump Campaign is now hit with some lawsuits, so be it. The egregiousness of their actions need be loudly noted, and, if the courts find liability then make 'em pay accordingly.

Notably, again as we all read, Don Trump harvested a couple hundred million dollars by asking for funds to 'Stop-the-steal', yet spent only a mere pittance of that. He kept the rest. In short, they've got the money to pay a court order, or to make an out of court settlement so that their egregious actions are not publicly flogged about.......once again.

I'm glad that these counties are going to hold trump's feet to the fire for wasting their time and money, and the courts' time as well. I hope that more jurisdictions will do the same. The idiots who represented trump never bothered to do any legal research before filing baseless complaints, and they seemed not to know the basic rules that are taught in the first year of law school.

You should NOT be glad.
Trump is irrelevant, but this sets a precedent for people to use law suits to intimidate. That is wrong. Trumps team are correct that Spanish voting computers should NOT have been used because they can never be verified. Also voting machines should NEVER be put on a public network. Its not as bad as butterfly ballots and hanging chads, but there were some voting irregularities, and there always has to be complete freedom to investigate to be sure.
It is absolutely impossible to prove the voting was not effected in some way. I don't think it was in a significant way, but there is no way to prove these suits are frivolous.

I AM glad because these lawsuits did not conform to our U.S. procedures for bringing lawsuits, and any attorney should know what they are, including Giuliani, former prosecutor. Yes, the proof is there that these lawsuits were frivolous. An attorney must know the rules and the basics of law.

BTW: What are "Spanish voting computers"? What is this process of verification to which you refer? What voting machine was put on a public network? The election was certified and approved by people of both political parties.

What is your attachment to donald trump that you fight so hard to keep him in power? He is someone who I would never allow in my house!

ROTFLMAO!

It is still wrong.
Its better than leading a few thousand nutjobs in an insurrection.

I disagree.
The whole point of the occupation of Congress was only to get media attention.
That is EXACTLY what we should want.
Then WE get to decide if they are right or wrong.
If instead the strategy is to bankrupt people by lawsuits, then it is all hidden in the courts and conducted by lawyers I do not trust at all.
That is vastly worse, and prevent the people from knowing what is going on, much less having any say in it.

It is illegal to sue in order to recover costs that come from election investigation.
But even more to the point, the claim there were any court costs involved over election investigation or court action, is an obvious lie.
Governments that run elections have legal staff who handle this at no additional cost at all.
There is no one who spend a cent more due to court cases over the election, except for Trump.

You're wrong.
Just like a person calling the coast guard about a nonexistent boat that capsized.
Happens all the time.

Wrong.
You can only be held accountable is it is proven you knew no boat had capsized.
If you thought one had, but it turned out to just be some debris, and you were wrong, then you did nothing illegal and can't be sued.
And no, it does NOT "happen all the time".

You should NOT be glad.

I AM glad because these lawsuits did not conform to our U.S. procedures for bringing lawsuits, and any attorney should know what they are, including Giuliani, former prosecutor. Yes, the proof is there that these lawsuits were frivolous. An attorney must know the rules and the basics of law.

BTW: What are "Spanish voting computers"? What is this process of verification to which you refer? What voting machine was put on a public network? The election was certified and approved by people of both political parties.

What is your attachment to donald trump that you fight so hard to keep him in power? He is someone who I would never allow in my house!

Dominion voting machines are embedded computers make by a Spanish company.
They were all put on the Internet so that they could send their results without having to move the machines to where the results were being accumulated.

However, I do not believe the election results were fake because I think they paper ballots were also manually counted, as verification.

Zero attachment to Trump. I dislike him and all his policies except tariffs on China and no wars.
But the point is we likely should not be using voting machines.
There is no advantage and verification really is not possible.

The whole point of the occupation of Congress was only to get media attention. That is EXACTLY what we should want

OK, I understand the sentiment and the desire.
However, savagely beating the hell out of cops seems a rather problematic way to achieve your desires.

Who did that? Which cops?

I ain't yet familiar on the "quoting" function on this chatroom. These descending lines of posters' avatars .....but, and correct me if wrong, is the poser Todd asking my avatar about the "Who" and the "Which"?

or is he querying the poster Rigby?

Who did that? Which cops?

I ain't yet familiar on the "quoting" function on this chatroom. These descending lines of posters' avatars .....but, and correct me if wrong, is the poser Todd asking my avatar about the "Who" and the "Which"?

or is he querying the poster Rigby?

If you said...... "However, savagely beating the hell out of cops seems a rather problematic way to achieve your desires"

Then I'm asking you, " Who did that? Which cops?"

You're wrong.
Happens all the time.

Wrong.
You can only be held accountable is it is proven you knew no boat had capsized.
If you thought one had, but it turned out to just be some debris, and you were wrong, then you did nothing illegal and can't be sued.
And no, it does NOT "happen all the time".
Like I said "Evidence".
A land based call would be suspect.
Debris in the area the coordinates given would not be.
Trump knew he lost but still filed, otherwise, why would he call Georgia "looking for votes"?

OK, I get it now. Thank you.
.....................................................................................

To respond though, to your two questions....the 'Who' and the 'Which'.

I'll answer just quickly with Politico reportage from this morning, naming one guy. But, there is plenty....plenty....of reportage on many of the over 200 (approaching 300) insurrectionists that have been arrested.

I once started a thread that offered reporting on a dozen or more of the arrestees. It was removed as it evidently violated the forum ethic of not 'outing' folks who were suspected of criminal behavior. Nonetheless, the information is out there. I'd suggest you google up.....'Capitol rioters arrested'. You may be buried under reportage.....with names and alleged crimes. Some of it is, forgive my irreverance, but some of it is damn amusing. Amusing in the vein of 'Wow, is that guy stupid, or what!'

Here is just one report (from NPR)
I offer the headline, the lead, and the link:
"The Capitol Siege: The Arrested And Their Stories
Editor's note: This story was first published on Feb. 9, 2021. It is regularly updated, and includes explicit language.

Nearly every day since insurrectionists stormed the U.S. Capitol, the list of those charged in the attack has grown longer. The government has now identified more than 250 suspects in the Jan. 6 rioting, which ended with five people dead, including a U.S. Capitol Police officer."

..........................................................................................................

And then, just this morning, February 27th, Politico offered us this reportage: (btw, they mention 'more than 100 officers', but I have seen reportage that focuses a bit more, with '140 officers' injured.

Anyway, here is Politico this morning:

"INSURRECTION FALLOUT
FBI zeroes in on video of officer who died after Capitol riot

The FBI recently obtained new video of an individual spraying what appears to be a chemical irritant at more than a dozen law enforcement officers, including a Capitol Police officer who fell ill shortly after the storming of the Capitol and died at a hospital the next day, a law enforcement official said.

More than 100 other Capitol and Washington, D.C., police officers were injured during the riots, some severely, and two reportedly died by suicide in the days following the insurrection. Four rioters also died, including one shot by an officer defending the House chamber.

Prosecutors and Capitol Police officials have indicated that numerous participants in the Jan. 6 riot deployed pepper spray, bear spray, mace and other chemical irritants at police. One Capitol Police Captain, Carneysha Mendoza, told a Senate committee Tuesday that she observed protesters deploy “military-grade CS” gas inside the Capitol itself.

On Friday, court officials unsealed a criminal case against a suspect, Daniel Caldwell of Texas, who claimed in a video recorded on Jan. 6 to have sprayed officers during a confrontation on the steps of the Capitol.

“……..Caldwell sprayed toward police officer [sic] and believed he sprayed around 15 officers,” according to the FBI affidavit supporting the case."

Last edited:

OK, I get it now. Thank you.
.....................................................................................

To respond though, to your two questions....the 'Who' and the 'Which'.

I'll answer just quickly with Politico reportage from this morning, naming one guy. But, there is plenty....plenty....of reportage on many of the over 200 (approaching 300) insurrectionists that have been arrested.

I once started a thread that offered reporting on a dozen or more of the arrestees. It was removed as it evidently violated the forum ethic of not 'outing' folks who were suspected of criminal behavior. Nonetheless, the information is out there. I'd suggest you google up.....'Capitol rioters arrested'. You may be buried under reportage.....with names and alleged crimes. Some of it is, forgive my irreverance, but some of it is damn amusing. Amusing in the vein of 'Wow, is that guy stupid, or what!'

Here is just one report (from NPR)
I offer the headline, the lead, and the link:
"The Capitol Siege: The Arrested And Their Stories
Editor's note: This story was first published on Feb. 9, 2021. It is regularly updated, and includes explicit language.

Nearly every day since insurrectionists stormed the U.S. Capitol, the list of those charged in the attack has grown longer. The government has now identified more than 250 suspects in the Jan. 6 rioting, which ended with five people dead, including a U.S. Capitol Police officer."

..........................................................................................................

And then, just this morning, February 27th, Politico offered us this reportage: (btw, they mention 'more than 100 officers', but I have seen reportage that focuses a bit more, with '140 officers' injured.

Anyway, here is Politico this morning:

"INSURRECTION FALLOUT
FBI zeroes in on video of officer who died after Capitol riot

The FBI recently obtained new video of an individual spraying what appears to be a chemical irritant at more than a dozen law enforcement officers, including a Capitol Police officer who fell ill shortly after the storming of the Capitol and died at a hospital the next day, a law enforcement official said.

More than 100 other Capitol and Washington, D.C., police officers were injured during the riots, some severely, and two reportedly died by suicide in the days following the insurrection. Four rioters also died, including one shot by an officer defending the House chamber.

Prosecutors and Capitol Police officials have indicated that numerous participants in the Jan. 6 riot deployed pepper spray, bear spray, mace and other chemical irritants at police. One Capitol Police Captain, Carneysha Mendoza, told a Senate committee Tuesday that she observed protesters deploy “military-grade CS” gas inside the Capitol itself.

On Friday, court officials unsealed a criminal case against a suspect, Daniel Caldwell of Texas, who claimed in a video recorded on Jan. 6 to have sprayed officers during a confrontation on the steps of the Capitol.

“……..Caldwell sprayed toward police officer [sic] and believed he sprayed around 15 officers,” according to the FBI affidavit supporting the case."

Does any of that name the cops who were beaten?
As far as the cop who died, he wasn't beaten. AFAIK, he died of a stroke, unrelated to the riot.
None of the other people died because of the riot either.

Forum List

Back