George Will - The Conservative Sensibility

Both Jonah and GWill are never-Trump Republicans, which it is perfectly OK to be.

The other side of the Republican Party - which is monumentally more populous and successful than the never-Trump side - is willing to overlook Trump's personal shortcomings because he has advanced more "conservative" initiatives than any other Conservative since Conservatism was birthed by Barry Goldwater and WFB in the 50's.

Whether you like it or not, the National Review version of Conservatism will never win a national election. Never. Not now, not in the future. Trump and Trump-ism are the future of the Republican Party.

You are correct that neither likes Trump.

And you may be correct in your prediction.

However, I am very interested in what you think "the National Review version of Conservatism is" ?

To my way of thinking, there is not a version and I believe that has been Will's position for a long long time.

One of the characteristics of conservatism is a high value placed on liberty. This is a summary statement and may not apply universally (although it does seem like a bedrock piece of the "attitude"). But it does not say liberty to do what...? I find the term conservative to be better discussed in terms of what SHOULD NOT be. The rest is up to the individual.

How that would translate into an electable position, by itself, is not clear to me.

These guys were mauled by Trumpism, and they're understandably trying to get their party back.

No doubt they know they misjudged Trumpsters. Like everyone else, they thought Trumpsters were actual conservatives and that this would never happen.

Now they know. I don't know how they get the party back, though.

Who are you quoting and what are you referencing.

What is your definition of a Trumpster and how does it apply to the OP ?
I didn't quote anyone.

I was referencing the two people in the interview.

It applies to the OP for obvious reasons.

O.K.

Thank you for the clarrification.

While I can't necessarily make the connection (as to how they were mauled), I do see that they did not like Trump.

Debating Trump as a conservative/non-conservative is a very challenging proposition depending on you thoughts on conservatism.

Natural Rights were mentioned in several different parts of the conversation.

Something I have not worked hard enough to understand.

Got it in the mail.

I will start it once I finish Goldwater's "Conscience of A Conservative".

This book was written in 2020.

I just ordered it.

I am currently watching the interview Jonah Goldberg did with Mr. Will on C-Span. It's about an hour.

Very informative.

I posted it in this forum because the politics forum is simply a bloody mess.

I hope that is O.K.

Don't you mean the Trump bashing book?

Say, who does George consider to be a conservative I wonder?

He is one of the few people left that fit the textbook definition of "conservative". The rest of you are a weird tribe of right wing authoritarians, militant Christians and an assortment of various gun nutters. All are almost totally disinterested in the policy discussions that George Will excelled at.

So classical liberalism is authoritarian? LOL! What's a militant Christian? What's a gun nutter? Please define. Be sure to provide an ontological justification, particularly in terms of the first principles of natural law. Also, please expound on the epistemology thereof. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back