George Will on Ending Birthright Citizenship

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
To end the practice of "birthright citizenship," all that is required is to correct the misinterpretation of that amendment's first sentence: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

A parent from a poor country, writes professor Lino Graglia of the University of Texas law school, "can hardly do more for a child than make him or her an American citizen, entitled to all the advantages of the American welfare state." Therefore, "It is difficult to imagine a more irrational and self-defeating legal system than one which makes unauthorized entry into this country a criminal offense and simultaneously provides perhaps the greatest possible inducement to illegal entry."

Graglia seems to establish that there is no constitutional impediment to Congress ending the granting of birthright citizenship to persons whose presence here is "not only without the government's consent but in violation of its law."

George Will : A Birthright? Maybe Not. - Townhall.com

Immigration problem solved without one dime of taxpayer money. Do they have the balls? (silly question I know)

We should - but NEVER will. Do any of you have any idea how many people with money (and without) come and literally drop their babies here? I have lost count of the latino entertainers who have done this. I think ALL of their offspring have been born in the 'evil' U.S. of A. Do any of you know how many of them have come to live here? Unbelievable! While EVERY president of Mexico sits back and laments the exodus but do nothing!!! Mexico has lost most of their labor force and most of the elite. They are left with the drug cartels.

Graglia seems to establish that there is no constitutional impediment to Congress ending the granting of birthright citizenship to persons whose presence here is "not only without the government's consent but in violation of its law."

The key word here is Congress. They may indeed have the constitutional authority to make such a change but if you're expecting them to actually do it then I say fat chance.

The key word here is Congress. They may indeed have the constitutional authority to make such a change but if you're expecting them to actually do it then I say fat chance.

Not if it means losing votes.

Same with picture voter IDs.

Figure the odds on them starting that.

I wonder how many people who are for this, had grandparents or great grandparents and so on that were the first ones in their family to be born here?
I also want to know how Health Care reform is unconstitional, but this is cool?

I wonder how many people who are for this, had grandparents or great grandparents and so on that were the first ones in their family to be born here?

anyone who says health care reform is unconstitutional doesn't know what the constitution is.

but besides that.. the replacement for citizenship by birth is citizenship by blood. that worked really well in germany. :thup:

anyone who says health care reform is unconstitutional doesn't know what the constitution is.

but besides that.. the replacement for citizenship by birth is citizenship by blood. that worked really well in germany. :thup:

Please show me in the Constitution where it states that Government is NOT an acting representation of the majority of the legitimate citizenry with respect to actions taken and laws passed.

The VAST majority of American citizens did NOT want Healthcare Reform.

It was an exceedingly unconstitutional breach of civil rights as determined by majority. Absolutely no different than the process of what Hitler's reformation enacted.

To end the practice of "birthright citizenship," all that is required is to correct the misinterpretation of that amendment's first sentence: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

A parent from a poor country, writes professor Lino Graglia of the University of Texas law school, "can hardly do more for a child than make him or her an American citizen, entitled to all the advantages of the American welfare state." Therefore, "It is difficult to imagine a more irrational and self-defeating legal system than one which makes unauthorized entry into this country a criminal offense and simultaneously provides perhaps the greatest possible inducement to illegal entry."

George Will : A Birthright? Maybe Not. - Townhall.com

Immigration problem solved without one dime of taxpayer money. Do they have the balls? (silly question I know)

If his point is that children born of illegals should not be granted citizenship I agree.

However, how that plays out in terms of helping that kid, should he need it while living here?

Now, that is entirely a different matter.

AFter all, the kid isn't repsonsible, nor should that kid be punished, for the actions of his parents.

This is America and it has always been this way. If you are born on our soil you are an American.

On this issue I am a conservative.

Please show me in the Constitution where it states that Government is NOT an acting representation of the majority of the legitimate citizenry with respect to actions taken and laws passed.

It was an exceedingly unconstitutional breach of civil rights as determined by majority. Absolutely no different than the process of what Hitler's reformation enacted.

BS. A majority wanted HCR, and I'm not silly enough to call it VAST, but it was a majority, and is a growing majority as people find out the benefits it has for themselves personally and the economy as a whole.

BS. A majority wanted HCR, and I'm not silly enough to call it VAST, but it was a majority, and is a growing majority as people find out the benefits it has for themselves personally and the economy as a whole.

I am not going to jack this thread. When I responded I didn't realize that your comment was completely off topic and I do apologize. You are dead wrong however. I have yet to speak with one person, and I am in a very busy professional retail environment, that supported healthcare reform. It's downright TOUGH to find anyone that will even admit to voting for the idiot. You are a liar just like the POTUS.

I am not going to jack this thread. When I responded I didn't realize that your comment was completely off topic and I do apologize. You are dead wrong however. I have yet to speak with one person, and I am in a very busy professional retail environment, that supported healthcare reform. It's downright TOUGH to find anyone that will even admit to voting for the idiot. You are a liar just like the POTUS.

MY comment was off topic? YOUR comment was what I commented TO. There is polling data that supports my position, as opposed to anecdotal gatherings from your retail job in one location.

MY comment was off topic? YOUR comment was what I commented TO. There is polling data that supports my position, as opposed to anecdotal gatherings from your retail job in one location.

Is not the central theme of this thread "birthright citizenship"?

Please provide your polled information here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...36-who-supports-the-health-care-reform-4.html as I will be more than happy to supply you with just as much polled information that counters your false claim.

Is not the central theme of this thread "birthright citizenship"?

Please provide your polled information here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...36-who-supports-the-health-care-reform-4.html as I will be more than happy to supply you with just as much polled information that counters your false claim.

Are you a fucking moron? YOU brought HCR into this thread, not me.

Forum List

Back