Generators - Use and storage Best Practices

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
Well folks,
It's Hurricane season again and with a tropical storm bearing down on Florida and the East Coast, people are starting to think about their generators once again.
This discussion is about PORTABLE Generators. If you have a whole house Unit then you probably have a service agreement, so carry on.

But the problem with Portable Generators is that they didn't think about them all year.

So, as an experienced generator operator, with decades of experience in their servicing, I thought I'd share a few "Tried and True" ways to have that generator at the ready year round.

First, let's consider STORAGE LOCATION.

Where you store your generator makes a big difference. I store all 4 of my Generators in a climate controlled garage.
ANY electro-mechanical device stored outdoors exposed to atmospheric moisture has a cost. That cost is corrosion and moisture
affecting every metal part of the generator. Every morning the generator is at it's coolest. As the day warms, the cool metal parts attract moisture.
it gets into the crankcase, the fuel tank and carburetor where moisture can eat at the delicate aluminum parts.
But there actually IS an answer to this and I'll cover that later.
But for now, just know that storing the generator in a climate controlled environment is desirable if and when possible and can add decades to it's service life.

Now let's talk about STORAGE PREPARATIONS

Through reading and experience, I can tell you there are a few things you need to do before storing your generator.
It is important to change the oil in your generator EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T USED IT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. (An exception might be Synth oil combined with climate controlled storage)

But if you use regular motor oil, it will slowly absorb moisture from the air as it sits and degrade with time. While you might "get away" with changing it less frequently, for MAXIMUM service life, annual oil changes are suggested. NOTE: this is under storage. If you use it you will want to change oil more frequently accoding to manufacturer recommendations.

But one of the most exciting storage preps you can do is adding Stabil MARINE BLUE to your fuel !!! (Not Stabil RED)
I am not kidding. This stuff coats all internal surfaces with a microthin layer of sealant that prevents corrosion. it is truly amazing stuff so USE IT !!!

In addition, I use ONLY Ethanol Free gasoline. Ethanol gasolines absorb moisture by nature and get gummy with time.
Even if you use a fuel stabilizer, the ethanol (sugars) are a really bad match for your small engine.

If you are going to be storing it for more than 3 months, consider removing the spark plug and adding a bit of cylinder wall lubricant / protectant.
Even when a motor is sitting still air and moisture can enter the cylinder and damage it or the rings.

I can't really recommend a cover because may covers are really good at trapping moisture, exposing your generator to even more humidity.
Storage under a shelter is probably better than using a cover outdoors.

Finally, make sure to run the generator long enough to get the fuel and stabilizer into the carburetor and fuel lines.
Turn off the fuel vent (if it has one) and you should be set for storage.

One of my generators has a starter battery so I connect a battery tender to it to keep it healthy.

STORAGE

Are you going to be storing your generator for a month, 3 months, a year? it makes a difference
Sitting is actually one of the worst things you can do to a generator. it likes to be run.
Get it out routinely and start it up.

I highly recommend you have a schedule and run your generator for at least one hour every two months (if Stabil Marine Blue is added.)
Stabil MARINE BLUE is phenomenal at keeping moisture from puddling in your tank and carb. Designed for the rigors of marine Environments,
it breaks down moisture and absorbs it into the gasoline where it can be burned.
However, long term storage in humid environments can eventually overwhelm even the best fuel stabilizers.
in harsh conditions, you could drain the tank and carburetor (AFTER running it with Stabil Marine Blue)

Keep in mind, you can safely store gasoline in your generator if properly prepped even in harsh conditions for some time.
I have a pressure washer in my shed in the swampy humidity of South Florida that sits year round.
But after treatment with Stabil Marine blue, it starts easily even after 6 months.

USE

Generators prefer to be used to sitting.
As mentioned above, you'll get best service life out of your generator if you use only Ethanol FREE gasolines.
Never overload your generator. The lower the load you put on it the longer it will last.
Make sure it has room to breath and get cooling air circulation.
obviously, never, under ANY circumstances use it indoors or even in a garage with the door open. Don't do it.

CONCLUSION

Treat your generator with proper care, and it WILL be there for you when you need it !
I may have missed something so feel free to chime in.
I have quite a bit of experience with generators, idle control motors and electronics.
however, rarely do I attempt to repair a stator or rotor. Those I just replace if they test out of specs.
There are a lot of people who repair them however.

Happy generating !!

Well folks,
It's Hurricane season again and with a tropical storm bearing down on Florida and the East Coast, people are starting to think about their generators once again.
This discussion is about PORTABLE Generators. If you have a whole house Unit then you probably have a service agreement, so carry on.

But the problem with Portable Generators is that they didn't think about them all year.

So, as an experienced generator operator, with decades of experience in their servicing, I thought I'd share a few "Tried and True" ways to have that generator at the ready year round.

Where you store your generator makes a big difference. I store all 4 of my Generators in a climate controlled garage.
ANY electro-mechanical device stored outdoors exposed to atmospheric moisture has a cost. That cost is corrosion and moisture
affecting every metal part of the generator. Every morning the generator is at it's coolest. As the day warms, the cool metal parts attract moisture.
it gets into the crankcase, the fuel tank and carburetor where moisture can eat at the delicate aluminum parts.
But for now, just know that storing the generator in a climate controlled environment is desirable if and when possible and can add decades to it's service life.

Through reading and experience, I can tell you there are a few things you need to do before storing your generator.
It is important to change the oil in your generator EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T USED IT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. (An exception might be Synth oil combined with climate controlled storage)

But if you use regular motor oil, it will slowly absorb moisture from the air as it sits and degrade with time. While you might "get away" with changing it less frequently, for MAXIMUM service life, annual oil changes are suggested. NOTE: this is under storage. If you use it you will want to change oil more frequently accoding to manufacturer recommendations.

But one of the most exciting storage preps you can do is adding Stabil MARINE BLUE to your fuel !!! (Not Stabil RED)
I am not kidding. This stuff coats all internal surfaces with a microthin layer of sealant that prevents corrosion. it is truly amazing stuff so USE IT !!!

In addition, I use ONLY Ethanol Free gasoline. Ethanol gasolines absorb moisture by nature and get gummy with time.
Even if you use a fuel stabilizer, the ethanol (sugars) are a really bad match for your small engine.

If you are going to be storing it for more than 3 months, consider removing the spark plug and adding a bit of cylinder wall lubricant / protectant.
Even when a motor is sitting still air and moisture can enter the cylinder and damage it or the rings.

I can't really recommend a cover because may covers are really good at trapping moisture, exposing your generator to even more humidity.

Finally, make sure to run the generator long enough to get the fuel and stabilizer into the carburetor and fuel lines.

One of my generators has a starter battery so I connect a battery tender to it to keep it healthy.

STORAGE

Are you going to be storing your generator for a month, 3 months, a year? it makes a difference
Sitting is actually one of the worst things you can do to a generator. it likes to be run.

I highly recommend you have a schedule and run your generator for at least one hour every two months (if Stabil Marine Blue is added.)
Stabil MARINE BLUE is phenomenal at keeping moisture from puddling in your tank and carb. Designed for the rigors of marine Environments,
it breaks down moisture and absorbs it into the gasoline where it can be burned.
However, long term storage in humid environments can eventually overwhelm even the best fuel stabilizers.
in harsh conditions, you could drain the tank and carburetor (AFTER running it with Stabil Marine Blue)

Keep in mind, you can safely store gasoline in your generator if properly prepped even in harsh conditions for some time.
I have a pressure washer in my shed in the swampy humidity of South Florida that sits year round.
But after treatment with Stabil Marine blue, it starts easily even after 6 months.

USE

As mentioned above, you'll get best service life out of your generator if you use only Ethanol FREE gasolines.
Never overload your generator. The lower the load you put on it the longer it will last.
obviously, never, under ANY circumstances use it indoors or even in a garage with the door open. Don't do it.

CONCLUSION

Treat your generator with proper care, and it WILL be there for you when you need it !
I have quite a bit of experience with generators, idle control motors and electronics.
however, rarely do I attempt to repair a stator or rotor. Those I just replace if they test out of specs.

Happy generating !!
Do you connect your generator to your house circuit breaker panel?

My old powermate is 35 plus years old and never indoors. Runs great but the high speed idle fluctuates like crazy. Briggs and Stratton flathead 8 horse engine.

Still have a brand new Honda EU7000is sitting in the garage in the crate it came in.
8 forken months ago!!! Damn this bad hip!!!
I guess I should grit my teeth and drag it out and put some oil and fuel in it in preparation for the Hurricane season.
It was originally for the brand new Lance camper that we bought...that we havent been able to spend a single forken night in...again,damn this bad hip!!
I run my Honda EU2200 every year until it runs dry before storing it and it's been a champ!
Starts on the second pull at the beginning of every season.

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

I did. I had an electrician friend come and set up a breaker for me. I flip a lever and the house runs off of the generator and the grid is cut out.

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

One of them, YES
I installed a transfer switch which works with my 6000Watt dirty power generator.
I really only use it for the water heater.

My other three Gennies are 2800Watt, 2100Watt and 3800watt.....all Inverter units and oscilloscope checked for line quality.
I find that I can really extend my fuel by using the smallest generator possible for what I need.

Last edited:
My old powermate is 35 plus years old and never indoors. Runs great but the high speed idle fluctuates like crazy. Briggs and Stratton flathead 8 horse engine.

That surging is likely an air leak or the carb needs a professional cleaning.
However, check the governor spring and mechanism.

Also change the spark plug, the lead and make sure it has FRESH gasoline.
Good luck

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

I did. I had an electrician friend come and set up a breaker for me. I flip a lever and the house runs off of the generator and the grid is cut out.

Hard to beat that!

Is that a propane unit or gasoline? Most likely propane right?

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

Hard to beat that!

It's a multifuel unit. I can run pretty much anything that burns.

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

Hard to beat that!

I guess fuel storage becomes a factor.
If I went with a whole house unit I would probably go strictly propane and have a large tank away from the house.
Gasoline storage is risky imo.
You get less energy per pound/gallon of propane tho so it won't go as far as gasoline.
I think some whole house unit people are taken by surprise.

The only drawback to a whole house unit is that it uses considerable amounts of fuel.
3 - 5 gallons per hour is common I think depending on load. Some use slightly less, some more.

I have 4 generators and can get up to 8 hours on 1 gallon running the fridge and a few lights on a Honda EU2000i

I think a lot of people have small generators in addition to their big units for that reason.
Not to mention if that one genny fails.

Several years back when Wilma hit, I was well prepared. The first day without power you could hear generators everywhere.
as the days passed without power, it got progressively quieter. There were no open gas stations.
On day 5 I was about the last running generator in the area and I started getting visitors. Asking for Gasoline.

At the time I only had a Powermate 5500Watt Monster loud non inverter genny.

some asked if they could borrow space in my fridge(s). Most were people I didn't know.
it was another week before gasoline became available and there were hour long waits in lines to get it.

Meanwhile, I'm sure my wife was the only Princess for miles that had hot showers for that entire 4 weeks. :cool:

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

Hard to beat that!

If I went with a whole house unit I would probably go strictly propane and have a large tank away from the house.
You get less energy per pound/gallon of propane tho so it won't go as far as gasoline.

The only drawback to a whole house unit is that it uses considerable amounts of fuel.
3 - 5 gallons per hour is common I think depending on load. Some use slightly less, some more.

I have 4 generators and can get up to 8 hours on 1 gallon running the fridge and a few lights on a Honda EU2000i

I think a lot of people have small generators in addition to their big units for that reason.

Several years back when Wilma hit, I was well prepared. The first day without power you could hear generators everywhere.
as the days passed without power, it got progressively quieter. There were no open gas stations.
On day 5 I was about the last running generator in the area and I started getting visitors. Asking for Gasoline.

some asked if they could borrow space in my fridge(s). Most were people I didn't know.
it was another week before gasoline became available and there were hour long waits in lines to get it.

Meanwhile, I'm sure my wife was the only Princess for miles that had hot showers for that entire 4 weeks. :cool:

I'm in an area where the vast majority of power lines are under ground so even with hurricanes we rarely lose power.
We've been in this house for 15 years now and only lost power for a significant amount of time once...as in three hours or so. This was during Ike in 2008.
Dragged out the gen set and put the window unit in the master bedroom window and fired it up. I was very pleased that the bedroom got down to 72 degrees in the Texas heat!!!
Then the fucken power came back on.....
Man I was ready to prove my prowess to the Wife and all I did was work up a sweat.....She swears to this day she still appreciated knowing she wont have to sweat in case of an emergency.

Well folks,

STORAGE

USE

CONCLUSION

Happy generating !!

Hard to beat that!

I have an in ground propane tank that will run the generator for a solid week and a half. Propane is nice because it has no time problems. Gasoline should be used within 3 months or so, unless you add a fuel additive.

Keep it with you or near or at your regular residence, start it up and run it once a month or so, change the oil, check the spark plug, coil, air cleaner, wiring connections, consider pounding an 8-foot ground rod into the ground, and connect it to the frame when you run it.

Avoid the storage REITs and public lockers if possible.

Forum List

Back