Zone1 Generation Juicebox: How 30-Year Olds Became Atheist Leftist Basket Cases.

Mashmont

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2022
Tell me if this scenario sounds familiar to you. A kid was born in the early 1990s. His helicopter parents enrolled him in every imaginable activity starting at age 6. Soccer, basketball, T ball, scouts, play groups. They made snacks for the kids. During soccer practice, instead of heading for the water fountain like we did, they sipped juiceboxes. During middle school, their parents, conscious of paving the way to getting into a good college, started planning their classes and extra-curriculars. The kids themselves always went along with the exhausting schedule of activities but acted disinterested. Then the kid went to college. The parents helped them pack, helped them move in, carried, stuff, oversaw their housing. The kid graduated, got a job, moved to a bigger city, lived alone.

During the formative years, the family had attended church and probably leaned conservative. The parents really had every great intention, vowing to be more hands-on than their 1950's era parents were and to make their kids into super achievers. And now the kid is 30 and has fallen off the cliff. He/she has counseling, is depressed, takes medication, feels stressed and overwhelmed by the job, stops going to church, perhaps moving to atheism, starts falling for the absurd liberal agenda, gets tats, maybe a piercing, has either no relationship or cohabitates, stops talking to aunts, uncles, rarely talks to the parents and other family members, has a pet, and basically isolates.

I have observed the above scenario numerous times and wonder how it happens. Perhaps it is escapism after being so overscheduled all their lives. Perhaps it is rebellion. Or perhaps it is the conscious effort of the Marxist left to ensnare vulnerable young people by bombarding them with leftist propaganda and 'values' via social media.

Any thoughts? And let me pre-empt right now idiotic comments about kids finally 'seeing the light' when they are clearly in a dark place.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tell me if this scenario sounds familiar to you. A kid was born in the early 1990s. His helicopter parents enrolled him in every imaginable activity starting at age 6. Soccer, basketball, T ball, scouts, play groups. They made snacks for the kids. During soccer practice, instead of heading for the water fountain like we did, they sipped juiceboxes. During middle school, their parents, conscious of paving the way to getting into a good college, started planning their classes and extra-curriculars. The kids themselves always went along with the exhausting schedule of activities but acted disinterested. Then the kid went to college. The parents helped them pack, helped them move in, carried, stuff, oversaw their housing. The kid graduated, got a job, moved to a bigger city, lived alone.

During the formative years, the family had attended church and probably leaned conservative. The parents really had every great intention, vowing to be more hands-on than their 1950's era parents were and to make their kids into super achievers. And now the kid is 30 and has fallen off the cliff. He/she has counseling, is depressed, takes medication, feels stressed and overwhelmed by the job, stops going to church, perhaps moving to atheism, starts falling for the absurd liberal agenda, gets tats, maybe a piercing, has either no relationship or cohabitates, stops talking to aunts, uncles, rarely talks to the parents and other family members, has a pet, and basically isolates.

I have observed the above scenario numerous times and wonder how it happens. Perhaps it is escapism after being so overscheduled all their lives. Perhaps it is rebellion. Or perhaps it is the conscious effort of the Marxist left to ensnare vulnerable young people by bombarding them with leftist propaganda and 'values' via social media.

Any thoughts? And let me pre-empt right now idiotic comments about kids finally 'seeing the light' when they are clearly in a dark place.

I can't really speak for 30 year olds, but I can tell you how I stopped believing as a man now in his sixties who stopped believing in his early 20's.

I went to Catholic Schools for 12 years. Which mean much of my education was handled by frustrated gays and lesbians who thought they could "Pray Away the Gay". Thankfully, we had a gay revolution in the 1970's and these sad people stopped joining the Holy Orders, but I digress. But even at a young age, I started to notice the discrepancies. "Hey, Sister, the Gospels of Luke and Matthew both have different genealogies of Jesus, and they both trace them through Joseph, who wasn't his real father."

WHACK!!!!

"Hey, I just noticed the bible says 'No GRAVEN IMAGES', and yet we have all these statues of the Saints in our church!"

WHACK!!!!

"Why did God drown all the babies?"

"Because they were WICKED BABIES. WIIIIIICKED!!!!"

By high school, I was introduced to the notion that MAYBE there were prosaic explanations for the miracles. Maybe the Great Flood was only a local flood. Maybe Jesus actually survived his crucifixion. Maybe the parting of the Red Sea was only the tide going out.

Then I got to college. Now, two things happened while I was in college. 1) both of my parents got sick and died, and all the praying in the world didn't help them. and 2) I was introduced to more concepts that made me think that this God stuff was a lot of superstition. Like how stories in the bible were plagiarized from stories in other mythologies.

So pretty much by the time I was out of College, I was pretty much done with religion.

I was a very believer and I was even RC but I turned atheist at about 50.
I still am very conservative. But I'm a liberal because I feel life after your born is ultimately important.

Sounds like a fantasy on your part

Seems it is YOU with the issues

I started teaching in 1993, so I feel like I had a front row seat for the cultural and societal disaster that was Helicopter Parenting.

I don't agree with everything you typed here, but for the most part you are 100% right on. Parents did not allow children to have the vital freedom they NEED to take risks, figure rewards and consequences--grow strong. "Sheltered" doesn't begin to describe what these children encountered. They were protected not only from dangers, but from disappointments.

But as we know, life just doesn't work like that. A whole generations of parents forgot that the purpose of raising children is NOT to engineer a perfect life for them, but to prepare them for the world as it is. As we all see, we have too many adults wholly unprepared for this. It's almost a catastrophe at the college level; certainly a crisis. The counseling centers are overwhelmed. The kids can't handle anything.

Which hardly apply to the whole population

The majority of todays kids are well rounded and adapt easily to society

No comments or observations about a whole generation apply to every individual and that's such a stupid remark I won't address it again.

I guess 63% of young adults reporting signs of anxiety/depression sounds healthy to you. Okay

Evangelicals just keep on looking for someone else to blame for declining church attendance. It's you people and your political mission to become the face of American Christianity. Was banning abortion worth killing American religiosity?

No comments or observations about a whole generation apply to every individual and that's such a stupid remark I won't address it again.

I guess 63% of young adults reporting signs of anxiety/depression sounds healthy to you. Okay

Choosing during a COVID pandemic is kind of an outlier

The lies and misinformation you spread during COVID made it worse

Evangelicals just keep on looking for someone else to blame for declining church attendance. It's you people and your political mission to become the face of American Christianity. Was banning abortion worth killing American religiosity?

The churches are losing the people
They need to change their message

It's not our church. It's not our job to sell it either. If anyone is turned away from Jesus Christ because they can no longer kill their own babies--that is definitely not our problem.

It's astounding how many people claim to understand Christianity, but do not.

Forum List

Back