"Gay Cure" Study Meets Harsh Opposition

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ok, so there have been many studies that point to hormonal imbalance starting en utero as being the cause of homosexuality. As such, scientists at Oregon State University in the city of Corvallis and at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland have been using hormone supplements and other chemical treatments to try to get known gay rams to mate with ewes. If the research is successful, it could eventually be expanded to humans and an expectant mother could use a harmless hormone supplement to minimize or eliminate the chances of a child of either sex being gay, and a chemical cure may even come for adult gays who don't want to be so any more.

But wait a minute. This means that there's a forseeable end to homosexuality, and in our diverse, multi-cultural, politically correct society, this is intolerable, as homosexuality is a unique culture that must be considered equal to all other cultures. That means we can't threaten to eliminate it with a chemical cure. Well, I'm confused now. Gays have been saying for years that they would never choose it and that they'd rather have been born straight, so as to avoid the social stigma. Well, now they can accomplish just that, and they're basically equating it with racism.

Now, I'm going to try to watch this objectively, but I think the treatment is a good idea, especially when considering those who truly would rather be straight than gay. I'd like to get the thoughts of Kagom, especially. Would you use this if it were available? Would you look down on anybody who did?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2524408,00.html

The American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association, American Counseling Association, American Academy of Pediatrics and National Association of School Psychologists all say homosexuality is not a disorder which is suseptible to treatment.

So perhaps you should try the whole live and let live thing and leave them alone since they have no effect on you. As for those who "don't want to be" gay, well.... I'd like to be 5'7 but I'm not and no one is discriminating against me or telling me to will myself taller.

It's a good question to ask, Hobbit. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't condemn any friend of mine who would try it. I believe one should do what will eventually make one happy so long as they don't harm another person mentally, physically, or psychologically.

However, parents shouldn't choose the sexuality of their child. I'm a big pro-science person and all that jazz, but I believe that we should try to live as naturally as we can.

Oh, and PeTA can suck it.

Forum List

Back