G_d, why kat?

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
Kathianne, why are you typing g_d? Are you a jew now? Or just a wannabe? THEY DON'T WANT YOU. You know that, right?

rtwngAvngr said:
Kathianne, why are you typing g_d? Are you a jew now? Or just a wannabe? THEY DON'T WANT YOU. You know that, right?

Maybe she's just trying to be respectful.
It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm#Writing

This reminds me of the Life of Brian...

All I said was this piece of fish was good enough for Jehovah!

Jehovah! (dancing around) Jehovah! Jehovah!

:banana:

dilloduck said:
That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

What a crock! Not that I am an antisemite, but the Jews were the ones who defaced God's name. He gave us His name so that we could identify Him and call on Him. He gave us His name with the intention that we would USE it. The ancient Jews made the decision that God's name was too holy to be used, and changed it. Thus, we no longer know the exact pronunciation of the name of our own God. IMO it was more disrespectful to disregard God's gift of intimacy than to utter or write His name. Why would He give us His name if He didn't intent for us to use it? :duh3:

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
dilloduck said:
Grump is an example of people who feel free to mock Christians at will.
Looking at it from a different point of view, I suppose it WOULD seem extremely odd, even slightly insane, to think of communicating with a spirit. I just feel bad that there are people who may never know that soft, gentle Presence. :(

Nienna said:
Looking at it from a different point of view, I suppose it WOULD seem extremely odd, even slightly insane, to think of communicating with a spirit. I just feel bad that there are people who may never know that soft, gentle Presence. :(

It's not the only thing odd or insane by any stretch of the imagination. It's all good. Even Grump.:beer:

dilloduck said:
It's not the only thing odd or insane by any stretch of the imagination. It's all good. Even Grump.:beer:
I know some grumpy people who have hearts of gold. ;)

no1tovote4 said:
This reminds me of the Life of Brian...

All I said was this piece of fish was good enough for Jehovah!

Jehovah! (dancing around) Jehovah! Jehovah!

:banana:

"He says the birds are scrounging":happy2:and this all reminds me of 1928. :coffee3:

and I did it and will continue to do so, to drive the whackjobs nuts. ;)

Kathianne said:
and I did it and will continue to do so, to drive the whackjobs nuts. ;)

I knew it! When are you just gonna give in and marry me?

rtwngAvngr said:
I knew it! When are you just gonna give in and marry me?

Sorry, I promised my kids I wouldn't marry another whack job. Though I have a soft space for what you could become, in my heart.

Forum List

Back