Future Life at Gyms

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently, as I guess a lot of people have been. If "fitness" is a part of your life, then you are probably doing something, fitness-wise, but it's not the same, eh? And if you look at the parameters that are being bandied about, it is difficult to imagine going back to the way things were in at least the next year - until either a vaccine or a cure are universally available.

It occurs to me that gyms could operate for the time being under the following guidelines:

The operating hours of each week would be carved up into 60-minute blocks, including a 5-minute arrival/prep window and a 5 minute cool-down/departure window (theoretically, a 50-minute workout). Although you can arrive late for your session, you cannot leave late, as that would involve unwanted contact with others (i.e., the next group).

Locker rooms would probably just be closed. Get dressed and get cleaned up at home. Period.

On the day before the beginning of each week (say, Saturday), signups for the following week would be available on line - maximum four workouts per week, maximum 25 people in the facility (not including staff) at a time. (This is what some governors have already decreed).

Retired people and people working off-shifts are asked to schedule their workouts between 0900-1200, and 1300-1700, to avoid conflicts with working folks.

So starting at, say, 0600, and going until midnight, each facility would have 18 x 7 = 126 workout periods each week, with a maximum to 25 people = 3,150 potential workouts per week. If the average member schedules three workouts per week, that means that there can only be about a thousand members.

Signing up for the following week would be hectic; the site would need a convenient way to pick your desired times, and it would have to be updated continuously in Real Time, so that you are not wasting your time trying to schedule blocks that are already filled. Obviously, there would be times when the blocks fill up immediately, but given how neurotic most of us are, I think most people would quickly settle into a schedule routine that is tolerable. There would probably also have to be a way of relinquishing blocks in advance when you can't make it, and making those blocks available for others. Penalties for not showing up repeatedly? I think so.

Could the gyms charge the same monthly rate for this? I don't know. The real question is, Could they be viable with this plan? How easy would it be to sell new memberships under these constraints? How many members do they have that NEVER SHOW UP? I suspect there are a lot of them, but I don't have any data.

Will this situation prompt a lot of sales of home-gym equipment?

Obviously, the gyms will have to post a number of in-house rules to promote the safest possible work environment, but those will evolve over the first couple weeks "back." I will personally ignore the rules whenever possible and take my chances.

Thoughts?

1587919980699.png

Going to have to raise prices so they can hire employees to clean all that equipment after each person is done with it also.

*****SMILE*****

:)

My gym (24 hour fitness) has said that they were reconfiguring all their gyms. They are taking equipment out to provide more space. The class spaces will probably be marked off into individual spots 6 feet apart. Grocery stores have lines waiting to get in. Gyms might be the same way. Malls too. Lock all doors but one. Make people wait in line to get in.

My gym (24 hour fitness) has said that they were reconfiguring all their gyms. They are taking equipment out to provide more space. The class spaces will probably be marked off into individual spots 6 feet apart. Grocery stores have lines waiting to get in. Gyms might be the same way. Malls too. Lock all doors but one. Make people wait in line to get in.
Businesses that are intentionally making it impossible to accommodate the normal flow of customers they had before this virus panic are cutting their own throats. I'm not paying for a service I can't use.

View attachment 328358

Going to have to raise prices so they can hire employees to clean all that equipment after each person is done with it also.

*****SMILE*****

:)

The Wife is one of the big muckety mucks at an exclusive Hotel,Club and Spa in Houston.
George Bush used to actually live there at the Manor House.
The day staff keeps the gym clean during the day and an outside company comes in at night and totally disinfects the place.
They did this even before the coronavirus.

Hopefully things will be back to normal someday. I don't want to live like bubbleboy the rest of my life.

Yeah, all of this is crap.

We have immune systems for a reason.

The proposition that we need to permanently change the way we live for a new virus is crap. Everyone should just get it, build up immunity to it, and get it over with.

Then we should move on.

Instead, everyone is accepting this establishment propaganda rollout that we need to permanently change the way civilization is constructed and transform into a technocratic police state.

I call bullshit.

They're considering filing for bankruptcy now.

I don't think that the current Germophobia craze will go on for that terribly long at all. As far as gyms are concerned, if they can't make it to the end of the Reign of Fastidiousness, they will go belly-up. People aren't really that inclined to spend a lot more money and go through a lot more hassle to work out. Those inclined to continue their fitness routine will just get a peleton bike and buy their own weights and work out in their basements.

My wife and I belong to Fitness 19; they are not charging during this shutdown.
The shame is that they were in the swing of updating their equipment on a steady basis and the crew is really friendly

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently, as I guess a lot of people have been. If "fitness" is a part of your life, then you are probably doing something, fitness-wise, but it's not the same, eh? And if you look at the parameters that are being bandied about, it is difficult to imagine going back to the way things were in at least the next year - until either a vaccine or a cure are universally available.

It occurs to me that gyms could operate for the time being under the following guidelines:

The operating hours of each week would be carved up into 60-minute blocks, including a 5-minute arrival/prep window and a 5 minute cool-down/departure window (theoretically, a 50-minute workout). Although you can arrive late for your session, you cannot leave late, as that would involve unwanted contact with others (i.e., the next group).

Locker rooms would probably just be closed. Get dressed and get cleaned up at home. Period.

On the day before the beginning of each week (say, Saturday), signups for the following week would be available on line - maximum four workouts per week, maximum 25 people in the facility (not including staff) at a time. (This is what some governors have already decreed).

Retired people and people working off-shifts are asked to schedule their workouts between 0900-1200, and 1300-1700, to avoid conflicts with working folks.

So starting at, say, 0600, and going until midnight, each facility would have 18 x 7 = 126 workout periods each week, with a maximum to 25 people = 3,150 potential workouts per week. If the average member schedules three workouts per week, that means that there can only be about a thousand members.

Signing up for the following week would be hectic; the site would need a convenient way to pick your desired times, and it would have to be updated continuously in Real Time, so that you are not wasting your time trying to schedule blocks that are already filled. Obviously, there would be times when the blocks fill up immediately, but given how neurotic most of us are, I think most people would quickly settle into a schedule routine that is tolerable. There would probably also have to be a way of relinquishing blocks in advance when you can't make it, and making those blocks available for others. Penalties for not showing up repeatedly? I think so.

Could the gyms charge the same monthly rate for this? I don't know. The real question is, Could they be viable with this plan? How easy would it be to sell new memberships under these constraints? How many members do they have that NEVER SHOW UP? I suspect there are a lot of them, but I don't have any data.

Obviously, the gyms will have to post a number of in-house rules to promote the safest possible work environment, but those will evolve over the first couple weeks "back." I will personally ignore the rules whenever possible and take my chances.

Thoughts?

Good post, I've been thinking about his a lot myself ever since my gym here on the Oregon Coast shut down. This much I can tell you - Home fitness equipment is flying off the shelf. It took me a week off and on to score a yoga matt, Bosu Balance Ball, resistance bands and a few other things. STILL looking for 5-55 lb adjustable dumbbells such as PowerBlock, Core Home Fitness or Bowflex. These factories are all shut down and crooks on the Internet are selling an approximately $300 item for up to $1000 plus another 50 bucks or more for shipping. Gonna just have to wait on those.

I think what you envision on the hours is probably the way most gyms are gonna handle it. My small gym is typically not a problem. Think that 5 or 6 other people is the most I've ever seen at any given time.

But thinking of my big former gym over in Boise, the rush hours before and after work would definitely be an issue. Employers are going to have to be flexible and allow folks to take 90 minutes or so off at odd times of the day in order to work with new gym rules and signups.

Here are the bad boys I so want. Have alerts in with Dick's, Walmart, Amazon Prime and a few others. But the manufacturer sites seem to be saying that it'll be at LEAST another month. *sigh* :confused:

1541015339-417klAEt3qL.jpg

I don't think the gyms will step up to clean equipment after each use. That will be up to you. They might have boxes of sanitary wipes around - and trash cans, one would hope, but they would only do a thorough cleaning at night.

Again, the key question is, can a large gym be viable with these constraints. They have to last long enough to get back to normal.

Hopefully things will be back to normal someday. I don't want to live like bubbleboy the rest of my life.

Yeah, all of this is crap.

We have immune systems for a reason.

The proposition that we need to permanently change the way we live for a new virus is crap. Everyone should just get it, build up immunity to it, and get it over with.

Then we should move on.

Instead, everyone is accepting this establishment propaganda rollout that we need to permanently change the way civilization is constructed and transform into a technocratic police state.

I call bullshit.

. . . ahhhh. . .

images

Dr.Love gave me a dislike. . . apparently totalitarianism appeals to him?

Thoughts?
I think Gyms going to return just fine.. At first you would limit the amount of people in the gym, But as time goes on it’ll go back to normal

I'd like to know what the future life of barrooms and stadiums will be? Will they remove 3 out of 4 seats at Ohio Stadium in Columbus or Heinz Stadium in Pittsburgh, so that the people can maintain social distancing? Will barstools be placed 7 feet a part in local watering holes?

They're considering filing for bankruptcy now.

An EOS is opening next door. Or would have if the democrats didn't need a scary virus right now.

The pools and spas might not be allowed though.

Forum List

Back