Fun scientific facts for the whole family.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
I'll start with a mind-blowing fact and someone else follows with another one
and so on, until all possible scientific riddles have been acknowledged
here at USMB. When does our podcast start btw ?

Did you know that even though it's so much bigger than Earth, one day on the planet Jupiter is only 9.5 hours ? ( 9 hours 44 minutes and 30 seconds) The surface of Earth at the equator is rotating at about 1000 miles per hour, while Jupiter's equatorial cloud-tops are moving nearly 28,000 miles per hour. :oops:
1591428210498.png

If Earth were the size of a nickel, Jupiter would be about as big as a basketball.
1591427933814.png

Last edited:
In any hydraulic system, such an automatic transmission, the state of fluid flowing though a given size orifice will be affected by a change in the orifice size. The effect will be seen as this:

1) Increasing the size of the orifice will decrease the pressure of the fluid passing through the orifice and increase the volume of fluid passing through the orifice.

2) Decreasing the size of the orifice will increase the pressure of the fluid flowing through the orifice and decrease the flow of fluid through the orifice.

I have talked with many transmission techs over the years who state the opposite is true, but they are mistaken. You can prove it yourself with what I call the garden hose test. Make sure the garden hose has no spray nozzle attached to it. Turn on the water to any rate you want. Notice the water flowing out of the end of the hose. The opening in the end of the hose is the orifice. You can even set a given time for you test of say 15 seconds by catching the water in a container and measuring the volume of water after 15 seconds.

Now resume the test and place your thumb over the hose outlet. You have just restricted the size of the orifice. Notice that the hose stiffens a little and the water shoots out farther. If you time test it again for the 15 seconds you will see you have less water in the container because by restricting the orifice you have decreased the flow through the orifice and increased the pressure, which is why the water spays out farther. Remove the restriction and pressure drops and flow increases.

A pump uses this effect. The pump creates flow, not pressure. When you place a restriction in the path of the flow, making the orifice the flow is passing through smaller, you create pressure. You can vary this pressure by changing the size if the restriction in the orifice.

Ok, that's all. I'm back to being an uneducated moron.

Isaac Newton came up with a new way to explain why the objects in our solar system move as they do. He used a new kind of math that he mostly devised himself that came to be known as calculus, which he previously called the method of fluxions and fluents. Newton explained mathematically very accurately why the objects in orbit around the sun move like they do. A few hundred years later using this math, or a possible more advanced version of it, and mainly telescopes, scientists noticed unexplained wobbles in the orbits of Neptune and Uranus. These wobbles led to the discovery of Pluto, our 9th planet, or as they say lately not planet. Now for the proof of the pudding.

Edmund Halley was an Englishman who was a geophysicist, mathematician, astronomer, and meteorologist. To cut to the chase, Halley used Newton's math to predict the return of a habitual comet that passed by the Earth ever 75 years or so. A lot of people were skeptical and Halley died before he could be vindicated when the comet appeared in the heavens exactly when he said it would. They started calling it Halley's comet after that and everyone one mostly stfu about Newton and Halley being charlatans after that.

Angelo, my mind is not remotely blown by either of those.
Try these on:

Guess what the weight of a cubic mile of air is, from sea level up (Assume 760 Torr).

Think. I've heard answers from "Nothing" to "thousands of pounds. Go big. Go really big.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
The answer is five million tons.
------------------

Now inside that hypothetical cubic mile, did anyone reading this realize that everyone alive on earth today could theoretically fit? Do the math. 5,280 feet cubed is 127,000,000,000 cubic feet. Divide that by the number of people and you get something around 20 cubic feet per person. The size of a casket.

----------------

If your forefathers had placed $1.00 U.S. in some bank the year Christ was born and it accumulated at just 4% annual rate per year, how much would it be worth today?

You have NO IDEA, but guess. You'll be low beyond your wildest imagination.

/
/
/
/
/

Go big.

1.04 to the 2000th power is 1.1659 x 10 to the 34th power.
That equates to 6.86 x 10 to the 30th ounces of gold.
The volume of that quantity of pure gold is equivalent to 3,931 earths made of solid gold.

($1,700 per ounce, spot price; Earth's volume is ~260 billion cubic miles, gold is 1.62 cc per ounce)

There is no such thing as time.

The problem, in brief, is that time may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality. If so, then what is time? And why is it so obviously and tyrannically omnipresent in our own experience? “The meaning of time has become terribly problematic in contemporary physics,” says Simon Saunders, a philosopher of physics at the University of Oxford.

The problem, in brief, is that time may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality. If so, then what is time? And why is it so obviously and tyrannically omnipresent in our own experience? “The meaning of time has become terribly problematic in contemporary physics,” says Simon Saunders, a philosopher of physics at the University of Oxford.

RIIIIIIGHT.
Does your wife ask you when the party starts? When you'll be home from work?
There's no such thing as common sense with Leftists.

RIIIIIIGHT.
I'm not a leftist you idiot. The thread is about fun scientific facts. Fuck off troll.

RIIIIIIGHT.
I'm not a leftist you idiot. The thread is about fun scientific facts. Fuck off troll.

You talk like a Leftist. You lack common sense like a Leftist.
You're hateful and vulgar like a Leftist. You're anti-science like a Leftist.
Time for you to go on my Ignore List with a bunch of other Leftists.

Buh bye.

RIIIIIIGHT.

Buh bye.
And just how is discussing time and providing a link to scientific research on time somehow 'leftist?' How did THAT prompt you to hurl insults toward me?

Always find this amazing. Hubble Xtreme Deep field. Its an image of the sky so small that a grain of rice held arms length would obscure it. It was chosen because it appeared to be devoid of stars. A 23 day exposure shows over 15000 galaxies in this one minute window... and each galaxy with as many as a billion stars.
It is also a window into time that looks 13.5 billion years into the past. The most red shifted ones are the oldest..some of them you are seeing just 450,000,000 years after the big bang before galaxies coalesced into a discernible shape.

This is a compressed picture but click this link for the original in all its glory. LINK

hubble2.png

RIIIIIIGHT.
Time is a local concept that the universe knows nothing about.

RIIIIIIGHT.

Buh bye.
He's not a leftist.

Always find this amazing. Hubble Xtreme Deep field. Its an image of the sky so small that a grain of rice held arms length would obscure it. It was chosen because it appeared to be devoid of stars. A 23 day exposure shows over 15000 galaxies in this one minute window... and each galaxy with as many as a billion stars.
It is also a window into time that looks 13.5 billion years into the past. The most red shifted ones are the oldest..some of them you are seeing just 450,000,000 years after the big bang before galaxies coalesced into a discernible shape.

This is a compressed picture but click this link for the original in all its glory. LINK

View attachment 347237

For only two or three hundred million dollars, you get such pictures. Worth the price?
Not to me, just to make some astronomers ooh and aaah. Okay, the universe is vaster than we may have thought. So......?
No, those pictures are fake. They are wildly enhanced.

View attachment 347237

For only two or three hundred million dollars, you get such pictures. Worth the price?
Not to me, just to make some astronomers ooh and aaah. Okay, the universe is vaster than we may have thought. So......?
Get lost Troll.

Forum List

Back