FU--Virginia

I'm correct in the ONLY people who should decide this issue should be the people of Virginia, at the ballot box.

An unelected board robbed them of that choice.

Because they don't trust their own voters.

Game, set, match.

You can invoke all the goofy ass statues you want, guy.

So now Election Law passed by the Legislature of the Commonwealth of Virginia are "goofy ass statutes" because you don't like them.

Unbelievable.

The fact is, that unless this is enforced uniformly, it's about as meaningless as Claude Reins closing down Rick's for Gambling.

If they weren't enforced uniformly, then by all means any campaign which failed to qualify for the ballot should bring it to court and show that they did obtain enough signatures (10,000/400) to qualify for the ballot.

All the petitions are still there, bring them to court and have them reviewed - not a problem with that at all.

>>>>

I'm correct in the ONLY people who should decide this issue should be the people of Virginia, at the ballot box.

An unelected board robbed them of that choice.

Because they don't trust their own voters.

Wrong, the Virginia Legislature enacted the requirements, not a non-elected board.

Game, set, match.

True, but not the way you think it is. Gingrich screwed the pooch and forgot to bring his racket to the match. So he lost game, set, match (barring an appeal and review that overturns the determination.)

>>>>

Why should an un-elected body be able to determine who is on the ballot or even set an arbitrary number?

The amusing thing to me is...

If the voters of Virginia decide that they want Romney over Gingrich, ...

The un-elected body didn't do it. Unless I misread something it was the state legislature that enacted the law. The un-elected body (Republicans) are essentially a quasi-legal-semi-private club that has to obey the law.

And didn't I read somewhere that the rules had been in place for ages? I'm not sure about the "change the rules halfway..." thing.

If the voters of Virginia want Newt, then come next November they can certainly write him in.

We are back to the whole Newt and Company blew it out their collective assess. Romney and Paul did what it takes and got on the ballot.

Had this been about Democrats, Greens, Constitutionals, or Libertarians would you be half this mad?

>

And just to be clear, I've been a registered Republican since 1978 when I joined the military after growing up in upstate New York and have been a registered voter in Virginia since 1998 when I retired here.

>>>>

You can invoke all the goofy ass statues you want, guy.

So now Election Law passed by the Legislature of the Commonwealth of Virginia are "goofy ass statutes" because you don't like them.

Unbelievable.

The fact is, that unless this is enforced uniformly, it's about as meaningless as Claude Reins closing down Rick's for Gambling.

If they weren't enforced uniformly, then by all means any campaign which failed to qualify for the ballot should bring it to court and show that they did obtain enough signatures (10,000/400) to qualify for the ballot.

All the petitions are still there, bring them to court and have them reviewed - not a problem with that at all.

>>>>

Again, I suspect if Newt is still in the hunt, he will appeal this and win. This is just a dirty trick by the GOP Establishment/Romney camp to wear down resources because they haven't been able to make the sale with the primary voters.

Romney is still down at 25% or less in national polls. Newt would beat him nationally and in Virginia if the vote were held today.

So Mittens scheme is not to win by winning people over, but by tearing down everyone else and exhausting their resources.

My question is, why is the establishment going along with it, since it's really the same thing Bob Dole did, with equally bad results.

My theories are-

1) They know the economy is going to be a shit sandwich for the next decade,so why not let the Democrats have the blame.

2) They are more afraid of the TEA party dominating the party then they are of losing.

Huckabee
McCain
Guliani
Romney
Paul
Thompson

What do all six of these men have in common?

George W. Bush Texas
John McCain
Alan Keyes
Gary Bauer
Steve Forbe

What do all five of these men have in common?

Ron Paul has nothing in common with the list of names you have him in.

they all ran for office. There you are wrong. They are all men. Thats two.

My response to maple will do here also

Other than they are males you stupid fuck Paul has nothing in comon with the list.

Huckabee
McCain
Guliani
Romney
Paul
Thompson

What do all six of these men have in common?

George W. Bush Texas
John McCain
Alan Keyes
Gary Bauer
Steve Forbe

What do all five of these men have in common?

They have all been candidates for President and they probably all made it on the Virginia primary ballot.:badgrin:

We have a winner! The first group were the candidates who appeared on Virginia's primary in 2008. The second group was the same for 2000. The notion that the requirements are somehow unfair because it's "nearly impossible" to find enough support for Republican candidates in a "D.C. exburb" is hogwash.

Speak for yourself, you turtle-wanged nobcowboy.

We both have a rep power of 187, but I've been here since July, and you've been here since 2009...

I think that kind of settles the issue of who cares about what people are saying.

:eusa_hand: Ummm..... this board is right-leaning if you didn't notice :eusa_whistle: :lol:

Sadly, this board isn't right leaning. It's extreme leaning. It's funny that I, myself, am a right-of-center independent, but on this board I am most often in closer agreement with those toward the left. Because most people here on the "right" are on, or approaching, the extreme of the right.

Which makes me wonder why left wing trolls like to post here then.

Awww, boo hoo. Here's a news flash for you: You're not entitled to have people agree with you anymore than your boy Gingrich is entitled to be on the ballot. You have to earn it. If you want people to agree with you, you have to go out, find a rational stance that will make logical sense, and convince people based on good reasoning and facts.

Hey, dumbass, if the party is going to resort to dirty tricks, I'm not sure I want them to win.

When are you going to get it through your head? THIS IS NOT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, THIS IS THE STATE OF VIRGINIA! IT'S THEIR LAWS, THEIR RULES.

Could be. The links I've seen so far have indicated an arbitrary decision made by the Republican party was involved somehow.

Would you care to help clarify?

Here you go:

*The state of Virginia long ago put forth laws about how to get on a primary ballot
*Newt Gingrich did not submit enough signatures
*The end

Could be. The links I've seen so far have indicated an arbitrary decision made by the Republican party was involved somehow.

Would you care to help clarify?

Here you go:

*The state of Virginia long ago put forth laws about how to get on a primary ballot
*Newt Gingrich did not submit enough signatures
*The end

Were the signatures submitted by Romney and Paul legit?

What I gather from reading the links I've seen so far is that the Republican party didn't vet the Romney and Paul signatures - simply because of the number they turned in.

If that is the case then that is an arbitrary party decision and not Virginia law.

But nevermind ... I'll find out on my own. No way am I going to wade through the muck in this thread.

Last edited:
Something to chew on:

Hat tip to zzzz:

Notice put out by Pat Mullins, Chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia earlier this year.

Under that responsibility, I intend to certify candidates for the Republican Presidential and
Senatorial primaries using the following guidelines:
Under the Code of Virginia, any candidate who wants to have their name placed on the March 6,
2012 Republican Presidential Ballot or the June 12, 2012 U.S. Senate Primary must collect the
signatures of 10,000 registered voters statewide, with at least 400 signatures of registered voters from
each of Virginia’s 11 Congressional Districts.
Any candidate who submits at least 15,000 signatures of registered voters on valid petitions
statewide and has at least 600 signatures of registered voters on valid petitions from each of the 11
Congressional Districts shall be deemed to have met the threshold for qualification and will be certified
(provided, of course, that other requirements of State law have also been met).
If any candidate submits fewer than 15,000 signatures of registered voters on valid petitions
statewide or fewer than 600 signatures of registered voters on valid petitions in one or more of the 11
Congressional Districts, the Republican Party of Virginia will individually verify signatures until the
10,000 signature statewide threshold and/or 400 per Congressional district is met
http://rpv.org/sites/default/files/2012%20Petition%20Certification%20Process_1.pdf

These are the petition requirements:
Must be signed by not less than 10,000 qualified voters in
Virginia, including at least 400 qualified voters from each of
Virginia's eleven congressional districts, who attest that they
intend to participate in the primary of the same political party
as the candidate named on the petition.
Because many people who are not registered to vote will sign
a petition, it is recommended that 15,000 - 20,000 signatures
be obtained with at least 700 signatures from each
congressional district.
Must provide the true signature, the printed full name and the
full resident address of each qualified voter and the date each
signed the petition.
Although the last four digits of the social security number is
requested, it is not mandatory that it be provided.
Must, on each page, provide an affidavit signed under oath by
the person who circulated it that s/he personally witnessed the
affixing of the signature of each voter on the page and that
s/he is registered, or eligible to be registered, to vote in
Virginia.
Note that a circulator cannot witness his own signature.
Falsely signing this affidavit is a felony under Virginia law.
The petition NEVER can be left unattended.
http://rpv.org/sites/default/files/...residential Primary Election 3_6_12 Rev 5.pdf

Forum List

Back