Fruuuuuuuustrating itchy dog skin problem

And in my house, the dogs sleep with the people and on the furniture. Everything gets vacuumed/washed religiously. Their *run* is a 20-foot cable right outside the door..consists of the patio, the hillside, the lawn...and it's sand, rock, and grass. We clean it religiously too, because if we don't we have an unholy mess. They take turns outside throughout the day, usually about 10 minutes per, about 10 x a day each. Seriously, we spend all our time rotating dogs out the back door, lol..

Last edited:
Update!!! -

She has booties now to keep her feet from anything she may be allergic to. I also bought her medicated shampoo and conditioner for dry skin. She's got special food for sensitive skin, itchiness, and allergies. She also has a spray to rub on her coat to make it healthier with lots of Vitamin E.

I've looked up most of your suggestions and I'm trying this little set up first because many seem to have additional effects I may need to worry about. It's a lot of work but we'll see what happens.

It's been almost 3 months...how about another update. :thup:

I use apple cider vinegar lightly diluted with water and rinse my dogs coats with it. Yes, it burns a bit, but it helps stop the itch and fleas don't like it. Heck, I use it myself on rashes. Good thing about it is, it isn't poison.

Last edited:
Update!!! -

She has booties now to keep her feet from anything she may be allergic to. I also bought her medicated shampoo and conditioner for dry skin. She's got special food for sensitive skin, itchiness, and allergies. She also has a spray to rub on her coat to make it healthier with lots of Vitamin E.

I've looked up most of your suggestions and I'm trying this little set up first because many seem to have additional effects I may need to worry about. It's a lot of work but we'll see what happens.

Things are going great! On top of the post you quoted she's getting a lot more exercise than before and it's been established that she gets into trouble if she ever bites her feet. Whatever her underlying problem was it's gone now. I suspect that she's allergic to grass and is prone to a lot of anxiety after being sent back to the shelter so many times... but who knows if I'm right because I won't be changing anything for a long time :)

Here's a picture of her from maybe 10 minutes ago. Her name's Batgirl btw; can't remember if I mentioned that or not.

Attachments

• $b.jpg
    $b.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 105
To stop my dogs from constant scratching with their feet and making sore spots...I put baby socks on their back paws and use electrical tape to hold them up. They walk funny at first, but get used to it pretty fast. And...they can no longer scratch like crazy with their back claws. I started doing this years and years ago...instead of cones when they had stitches or to keep them from making raw spots...baby socks do the trick. Just buy a few pair so you can swap them out between washings.

Alright everyone I have a tricky one for you. It's never occurred to me to post this problem until now.

I adopted my dog from the shelter 2 years ago. She had been returned 3 times already because of medical expenses but I thought what the hell if you leave your dog at the shelter you were probably just lazy about it so it'll be no problem.

My dog is a 25 pound Manchester Terrier mix named Batgirl. She has itchy skin to the point of bloodying up her paws and snout from scratching and biting.

She has been to the Vet countless times to no avail. She's been treated for scabies several times (with lots of extra expensive tests involved to identify if she had scabies) without ever showing signs of it. The medicine did nothing. She's been tested for allergies with no sign, had allergy shots with no results, tried several hypoallergenic diets and shampoos, and all for no results.

When I leave I have to put a cone on her so she won't hurt herself and that sucks for me and for her.

Does anyone know of any miracle supplements or anything?

If anyone gives me advice that works I might buy them something from Amazon as a reward.

Note: Vets have been absolutely NO help.
I've been rescuing dogs and cats for the better part of 20 years and there's a vet here in Roslyn NY who has always solved the issue of any abused, injured or sick animal i've brought to him. Please speak with him I'm know he will be more the happy to advise you at no cost. Mario Vezza 516-484-6068. Good luck!

Update!!! -

Things are going great! On top of the post you quoted she's getting a lot more exercise than before and it's been established that she gets into trouble if she ever bites her feet. Whatever her underlying problem was it's gone now. I suspect that she's allergic to grass and is prone to a lot of anxiety after being sent back to the shelter so many times... but who knows if I'm right because I won't be changing anything for a long time :)

Here's a picture of her from maybe 10 minutes ago. Her name's Batgirl btw; can't remember if I mentioned that or not.

she looks great.

your a good dog daddy

What are you feeding your dog??

If its not a grain free food then your dog could be allergic to corn as most dog foods have corn as the first ingredient. Some dogs are highly allergic to corn. Itches and the skin flakes.

I feed Wilderness from Blue Buffaloe. No grain.

I also have my dogs on Trifecus. Its a combination of HW and flea repellent. Its in pill form and my dogs eat it like a treat.

Not sure if any of this will help you but have your vet check for allergies to corn.

Yes - that ^^ was my first thought. There's a lot of junk pet food out there and corn is infested with GMO strains by now. I've seen big changes from removing that element and going to Blue Buffalo or something of similar quality.

I wouldn't use Benadryl except as an emergency or when you just don't have the attention to give her. It'll stop itches temporarily but it'll knock her out too.

They get used to the benadryl, and it gives the dog needed respite, sometimes, when nothing else is working.

Klaus' allergies are completely environmental...he's allergic to pollens and the local flora, particularly scotch broom. He's sort of bad right now, I just had to cut mats off his tail because he chews his tail and it creates these big mats. I end up cutting a lot off once with every coat (he sheds 2x a year). It all comes back when he sheds next but it always makes me sad because his plume is pretty spectacular.

We saw the vet just a little while back, and he gave me the go-ahead to keep on with the benadryl as needed, also told me I could give the steroids as needed, rather than strictly according to the scrip. He said he has patients who take it once a week, once every two weeks, some just in certain periods of the year...right now we're at about once a week or so. He still chews quite a bit of his hair out along his spine but no lesions, thank goodness. Vet also suggested baths...plain baths, no soap or additives, he said it removes the allergens from the coat (especially long coats) but he's 130 lbs and not crazy about getting into the shower. last time I tried it, he knocked the shower door off...but I'm thinking hard about biting that bullet.

Alright everyone I have a tricky one for you. It's never occurred to me to post this problem until now.

I adopted my dog from the shelter 2 years ago. She had been returned 3 times already because of medical expenses but I thought what the hell if you leave your dog at the shelter you were probably just lazy about it so it'll be no problem.

My dog is a 25 pound Manchester Terrier mix named Batgirl. She has itchy skin to the point of bloodying up her paws and snout from scratching and biting.

She has been to the Vet countless times to no avail. She's been treated for scabies several times (with lots of extra expensive tests involved to identify if she had scabies) without ever showing signs of it. The medicine did nothing. She's been tested for allergies with no sign, had allergy shots with no results, tried several hypoallergenic diets and shampoos, and all for no results.

When I leave I have to put a cone on her so she won't hurt herself and that sucks for me and for her.

Does anyone know of any miracle supplements or anything?

If anyone gives me advice that works I might buy them something from Amazon as a reward.

Note: Vets have been absolutely NO help.

Terriers seem to have this problem frequently..

Try this.. render some bacon and put the fat in a jar.. maybe two cups.. Add 2 Tablespoons of flowers of sulfur before the fat cools completely.. Once a day give the dog a tablespoon of the fat. This may help..

Rub room temperature bacon grease on the affected area...

... the bacon grease shuts off air to the mites...

... also use the funnel collar...

... this also works for mange...

... give it about 3 weeks to kill off any nits...

... that may be laid under the skin.
:cool:

I agree that the op's description sounds like mites and we've had trouble with them too.

I don't agree with bacon grease however because its filthy and contains horrendous chemicals and drugs. It introduces way too much really nasty bacteria into the wounds. Better to use veg or, better yet, the best olive oil you can find.

Coal tar shampoos works wonders as well. When I lived in Tucson, we bought the best coal tar shampoo in Mexico but you can get it on line. It works better than the gazillion dollar scrip shampoos.

Update!!! -

Nice looking pooch.

Just want to let you know I posted a question about how to post photos in this manner.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/333291-posting-photos.html#post8405565

To stop my dogs from constant scratching with their feet and making sore spots...I put baby socks on their back paws and use electrical tape to hold them up. They walk funny at first, but get used to it pretty fast. And...they can no longer scratch like crazy with their back claws. I started doing this years and years ago...instead of cones when they had stitches or to keep them from making raw spots...baby socks do the trick. Just buy a few pair so you can swap them out between washings.

I do the same.

The e-collars are cruel.

I think it's environmental allergies.

Prednisone will work, but it makes my saint go absolutely apeshit, and he pisses GALLONS all over the place...he never pees in the house except when he's on that crap.

It clears him up for sure....but it makes him aggressive, hyper, he pants continually...and then there is the pissing.

So I use that when I really need it...antibiotics to clear up secondary infections when they occur, benadryl for flare-ups in between. And flea medication so the fuckers don't jump on him; he's allergic to them too...

It is a steroid and it probably presses on his prostate.

God bless all of you for your concern!

I posted this thread a long time ago when I was feeling overwhelmed and didn't know what to do because the bills were piling up! I tried the lotions, the medicines, the shampoos, everything! And I thank you all for your advice!

It's been over a year now and Batgirl is doing great! She's not on any medication anymore and hasn't hurt herself in several months!

I think her problems must've stemmed from anxiety. Because she'd been returned to the shelter 3 times before I met her. And the allergy meds and skin meds didn't seem to make any difference :confused:

I don't know :dunno:

Batgirl's been an awesome friend and I'm so happy about how things have turned out! She's still using the medicated shampoos and medicated spray which might have no effect :dunno: but that's fine by me I'll keep using them anyways

Last edited:
What you have to be careful about here is trying multiple treatments at a time. I'm sure you are going crazy with this. But it does take some patience. I'd run with topicals for starters.

If you have a good vet you can trust that won't make you put your house up for sale seriously do a skin scraping. It's worth it.

My Ruby Starr all of a sudden out of the blue at age nine had her skin go koo koo bye bye. It was nuts. She would scratch herself so bad that she almost blew her ears off. Some how. Some way. She got a fungal issue. Poor baby.

So we started with serious dips. Oh this was not pretty. Full grown catahoula in my bathtub we are talking pain . For me. Dog was fine. :lol:

Forum List

Back