From My Days as an Artist

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Not many of you know this, but in my teenage years I was quite the freehand drawer. I was and am still known for a photographic memory, I could reproduce a picture just by staring at it. This drawing here is from one of my favorite TV shows, which I drew this past June. I'll give free rep to anyone who can guess what character she is and what show it's from:

295547_576698789007140_181459295_n.jpg

I have other drawings too that I may show from time to time as well. I've been thinking I should return to one of my first callings.

Last edited:
Nice, TK.
I used to do pencil portraits of people. Never animals though because fur is a bitch to draw. So are human hands and fingers.
Then I moved on to oils...then dumped that and went to acrylics. Canvas of course. Then I stopped that and started painting furniture instead of canvas. Now I do nothing except type.

I'd like to see more. Maybe you should join deviant art and showcase some of your stuff, but let us see it too.

Not many of you know this, but in my teenage years I was quite the freehand drawer. I was and am still known for a photographic memory, I could reproduce a picture just by staring at it. This drawing here is from one of my favorite TV shows, which I drew this past June. I'll give free rep to anyone who can guess what character she is and what show it's from:

I have other drawings too that I may show from time to time as well. I've been thinking I should return to one of my first callings.

Nice. I love pencil and ink. Do you know about layering?

Nice. I love pencil and ink. Do you know about layering?

Not real proficient at it, no. :(

You will enjoy practicing layering TK. View your sketchs as foundations. Your original sketch is the foundation. If you color over the foundation, you add a layer. This will hide your pencil strokes, allow you to make color adjustments, experiment with adding depth and shadow, reinforce details and lines and more. I often add a dozen layers sometimes more on sections and areas. You just keep adding layers until the colors become solid, and the strokes become hidden. I'll bet your pieces will become masterpieces if you invest in a box of color pencils. Just be careful to keep your layers very light, sometime barely visible. You can always add layers to make sections darker. Another nice thing about color pencils is that you are able to erase and redo areas and change colors. By the time you are done non artist folks are often unable to tell if your piece is pencil, ink or paint.

Forum List

Back