From Kittyhawk to the Moon

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
A piece of fabric and wood from the Wright Flyer taken to the surface of the Moon by the crew of Apollo 11, the first lunar landing mission, in July 20, 1969.

Just 66 years separated the two historical events.

1912CC3C-C13D-4597-B62D-BC6BF750ED6F.jpeg

Impressive

We still fly military planes from 60 years ago

66 years and two world wars and we were still first on the moon. What a Country.
We went from our first rocket launch into space to flying men to the moon in a decade
Yep, just 8 years from Shepard to the moon. As an Engineer I’m simply in jaw dropping awe.

I watched the landing with my grandmother who survived the San Francisco quake, and tempered the first car in San Fran and the news of Kittyhawk.

66 years and two world wars and we were still first on the moon. What a Country.
We went from our first rocket launch into space to flying men to the moon in a decade
Yep, just 8 years from Shepard to the moon. As an Engineer I’m simply in jaw dropping awe.

I watched the landing with my grandmother who survived the San Francisco quake, and tempered the first car in San Fran and the news of Kittyhawk.
Shows what we can do when we dedicate ourselves to scientific and technical advances

In WWII, we went from biplanes to jet aircraft in a decade​

IMPRESSIVE considering not much computer power, really
.....I remember reading the moon lander or control module had what I thought was 15 MB of memory----but must've been 15 KB, not MB..
this says 4 KB--but I read 15 something
What’s most impressive, though, is that NASA launched a rocket into space, guided three astronauts to the moon, landed two of them on its surface, returned them to their original craft and brought them home again with less computational power than you’ve got in your iPhone
To the Moon and Back on 4KB of Memory - Metro Weekly

..people can't even find something 5 miles away without their much more powerful '''hand computer'''--''tricorder''
..and GOOGLE maps is sometimes wrong

Last edited:

Forum List

Back