Fried price if you can’t speak Chinese?

bianco

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2013
Sydney, Australia
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-extra-per-dish/story-fni0cx12-1226995409930

It’s fried price if you can’t speak Chinese: restaurant charging English speakers 10 per cent extra per dish

IT’S the Shanghai shuffle, the fried price — a Mandarin restaurant in Sydney’s CBD is charging English-speaking patrons more than 10 per cent extra per dish than their Chinese-speaking counterparts.

A serving of fried rice costs $2 more on the English menu than for people who order from the Chinese menu — *effectively a 12.7 per cent fee on English-speakers.

Yin Li Sichuan restaurant owner Diana suggested it was meant to be a secret among Asian customers.

The Daily Telegraph pointed out the discrepancy in prices to a staff member at the Dixon St restaurant on Thursday night.

“The English menu is new, that’s why it’s more expensive,” she said. Both menus, however, appeared equally worn and dated.

A serving of fried rice with lettuce and beef is $17.80 on the English menu but only $15.80 for Chinese speaking customers. Mapo tofu ($16.80) and dried spicy bean ($17.80) are both $1 more if you can’t read Chinese.

The Daily Telegraph could not find any examples of cheaper dishes for English-speaking customers. The double standards have drawn the ire of the online community, with one customer labelling the restaurant “racist” in a review last year.

#####

If true, and not happy, there's a simple solution, ... dine elsewhere.

'Shanghai shuffle'? 'fried price'?
Racist?
There oughta be a law!
Hmmm, maybe there is.
The govt man's trading licence dept might like to have a close look at this.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a Fried Price than Flied Lice.

Just sayin'.

lol

I'd rather have just one price for all customers at this restaurant [wonder if this is the only one with two menus...with a higher price for English speakers?]

Imagine the uproar if the boot were on the other foot...and it were Asian customers who were being charged more, by English speaking proprietors!

And people wonder why there's 'segregation', 'mistrust', and 'dislike' in our society.

So which is it? :lol:
Yin Li Sichuan restaurant owner Diana suggested it was meant to be a secret among Asian customers.

“The English menu is new, that’s why it’s more expensive,” she said. Both menus, however, appeared equally worn and dated.

article-2699664-1FD5D4AD00000578-726_306x423.jpg

article-2699664-1FD5D4A100000578-931_306x423.jpg

Mapo Tofu was one of three items in which the price on the Chinese menu had not been updated. Ms Xu said the restaurant has since updated their Chinese menu to be exactly the same as the English menu

article-2699664-1FD5D41200000578-669_634x407.jpg

The boiled fish with pickled cabbage and chili is the same price in both English and Chinese menus (above)

article-2699664-1FD5D44E00000578-807_634x422.jpg

The Chinese version of the boiled fish with pickled cabbage and chili is the same price in the Chinese and English menus (above)

The Daily Telegraph (Australia) is owned by News Corp and it has been accused of making fallacious claims in the past and its former editor now heads the New York Post, which is also owned by Murdock. The Mail Online (UK) corrected the Aussie tabloid's story and it turned out that the Chinese restaurant's Chinese menu just needed updating to reflect recent price hikes and the prices of three Chinese dishes were displayed inaccurately by mistake. The owner of the restaurant may sue the Aussie tabloid and the inaccurate prices of the three items have been updated.

article-2699664-1FD5D4A500000578-9_306x370.jpg

article-2699664-1FD5D49D00000578-837_306x370.jpg

The Daily Telegraph reported that the restaurant's two menus - one written in English and one in Chinese - had different prices despite listing the same dishes. But Ms Xu told the Mail Online that this was only the case for three dishes the fried rice with lettuce and beef, the Mapo tofu and the dried spicy beans. Those three dishes were 'different by $1 or $2'. She said that some of the older Chinese menus still had to be updated with recent price increases. 'This year we have an increase in rent and staff [numbers] have increased,' Ms Xu said. 'The English menu is a new menu. This Chinese menu we actually need to fix.' Ms Xu said that she was shocked to read the article and very upset at being accused of discrimination. 'I think many things are not true because we don't have different [prices] for Chinese people and Australian people,' she said.
Sydney restaurant accused of charging non-Asian customers higher prices 'will sue' | Mail Online

Last edited:
Yay we all know the telegraph is the posterboy for fact and truth lol. Ok I'll bite. I charge people who won't take the time to learn English more. Good for them.

Last edited:
Yay we all know the telegraph is the posterboy for fact and truth lol. Ok I'll bite. I charge people who won't take the time to learn English more. Good for them.

Mostly their stories/reports/articles seem to be factual.

Maybe in this restaurant case not enough in-depth/thorough investigation was done.
Allegations of discrimination are serious.

Restaurant owner says...reporter/newspaper says...wonder wherein lies the absolute truth?

Reporter/newspaper needs to standy by its article and allegations 100%...or print a retraction and an apology.

Sydney restaurant accused of charging non-Asian customers higher prices 'will sue' | Mail Online

Racist abuse has been directed towards the restaurant after it was revealed three items on the English menu were $1 or $2 higher ....
......But the other 77 items on the English menu were priced exactly the same as on the Chinese menu
Owner Diana Xu blamed a printed error for the price differences, which has now been fixed

3 items were printed in error, but the other 77 were the same.
I have to be honest, this is racist bullshit, using a simple error as a reason to hate Chinese people.

Perhaps the OP should go and fuck himself.

Sydney is a tinderbox waiting to explode [again]...not restaurant menus, but........

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3pwYWSP34 [/ame]

My wife sometimes makes "Mabu Dofu" (Japanese) and it's wonderful! We don't eat it very often because it's supposed to be served over rice and we've almost eliminated rice entirely from our diet.

Hang on.
If these white Australians hate foreigners so much, what the fuck were doing in a Chinese restaurant.

Sydney is a tinderbox waiting to explode [again]...not restaurant menus, but........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3pwYWSP34

Nice video.
It basically says, White Australians do half the works foreigners do, work half the time foreigners do, but want twice the pay.

What lazy fuckers white Australians are. :D

Edit - I'm so sorry, I forget this was a white power thread - I apologise for mentioning what lazy fuckers you lot are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice video.
It basically says, White Australians do half the works foreigners do, work half the time foreigners do, but want twice the pay.

Edit - I'm so sorry, I forget this was a white power thread - I apologise for mentioning what lazy fuckers you lot are.

No White power thread...more an equality/no discrimination thread

We abolished slavery...and introduced workplaces safety laws, workplace basic hourly rates of pay, workplace basic salaries etc.
A nice orderly society, if you like.
"8 hours work, 8 hours play, and 8 hours sleep".....'May Day"

Slavery and discrimination against White people sure seem to be making a return.

Nice video.

We abolished slavery...and introduced workplaces safety laws, workplace basic hourly rates of pay, workplace basic salaries etc.

Slavery and discrimination against White people sure seem to be making a return.

And the whites never did it to any other race in the past....

Nice video.

And the whites never did it to any other race in the past....

No excuse for doing it now...in our supposedly equal and laws-governed society.
Instead of Sydney being "one big happy family", it's fast becoming a divided city...every race for itself, every culture for itself...segregated to the max.

Forum List

Back