Free speech for kids. How far does it go.

Is the school government? Maybe.
School is in fact government – there’s no ‘maybe’ about it.

‘In its decision, the Supreme Court concluded that Ms Levy's right to freedom of expression, protected under the First Amendment of the US Constitution, had been violated since the social media posts did not cause substantial disruption at the school.

"The vulgarity in BL's posts encompassed a message, an expression of BL's irritation with, and criticism of, the school and cheerleading communities," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in the majority opinion, using Ms Levy's initials.

"The school's interest in teaching good manners is not sufficient, in this case, to overcome BL's interest in free expression."

But the court added that schools still had a "significant" license to regulate student speech "in some off-campus circumstances". It said it would not categorically define which "school-related off-campus activities" this meant.’ ibid

Call it the ‘substantial disruption of schools’ test – and under this test, schools will need to demonstrate substantial disruption, where off-campus profanity via social media fails to pass the test.

I'd say they'd cause substantial disruption for the future of education in the US.
Not in this case.

How can you prove it won't?

The reality is you can't.

The simple fact is that you could make a law that you say will have no impact, and yet a lot of teachers might be looking at this and thinking "shit, we're screwed".

How will kids react to this?

Children have limited rights, it's a well known fact.
No one’s disagreeing – no right is ‘absolute’ or ‘unlimited,’ for children or adults.

And again, the courts may rule differently in a different case with different circumstances where the student’s actions manifest as a substantial disruption to his school.

Government has the authority to place limits and restrictions on our rights and protected liberties – but the burden rests solely with government to justify doing so; and failing that test, such limits and restrictions are invalid and un-Constitutional.

Children have limited rights, it's a well known fact.
No one’s disagreeing – no right is ‘absolute’ or ‘unlimited,’ for children or adults.

And again, the courts may rule differently in a different case with different circumstances where the student’s actions manifest as a substantial disruption to his school.

Government has the authority to place limits and restrictions on our rights and protected liberties – but the burden rests solely with government to justify doing so; and failing that test, such limits and restrictions are invalid and un-Constitutional.

And the issue here is that the Supreme Court have said that kids can publish things online that cause the school problems when it comes to disciplining kids.

What impact do you think this will have on the country?

I needn’t prove anything – I’m simply acknowledging the fact that the Supreme Court disagrees with you and that the Court is correct to limit government’s authority in this case.

Could this ruling result in making teaching more difficult – anything’s possible; but increasing the power and authority of government at the expense of individual liberty isn’t the solution.

"US cheerleader wins free speech case against her former school"

Rule number one about rights is that they should come with responsibilities.
Rule number two is that kids don't always have rights, that their parents have their responsibilities and their rights.

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

"The post featured a picture of her and a friend raising their middle fingers, with a profanity-laden caption voicing her displeasure at cheerleading, school, softball and "everything.""

Imagine now. Kids are literally allowed to do and say anything they like about the school, outside of school. This will make teaching kids more difficult than it already is. It's going to be another nail in the coffin of the US.

Freedom comes with responsibilities. Clearly this girl doesn't know this, nor does the Supreme Court.

Rights without responsibilities are just tipping the balance of society over into some kind of hell.
That's just more evidence that LWNJs like you are fascist pieces of shit. You're authoritarian scum, Karen.

I needn’t prove anything – I’m simply acknowledging the fact that the Supreme Court disagrees with you and that the Court is correct to limit government’s authority in this case.

Could this ruling result in making teaching more difficult – anything’s possible; but increasing the power and authority of government at the expense of individual liberty isn’t the solution.

I know the Supreme Court disagrees. How much experience do you think the Supreme Court has at teaching unruly teenagers in High School? I'm guessing about zero years.

I'm saying the Supreme Court, made up of old dudes and dudettes is making a mistake.

The problem here is that kids HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL. And as they HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL and they can be punished for things they do, then the Supreme Court is wrong, unless they want a climate of fear among teachers that they can't do anything.

And the issue here is that the Supreme Court have said that kids can publish things online that cause the school problems when it comes to disciplining kids.
Again, in this particular case.

The Court has not given students carte blanche to engage in disruptive behavior anytime, in any manner, and in any place; it has provided schools with a legal criterion upon which to determine if disciplinary action is warranted – and Constitutional.

I have no idea what impact the ruling might have on the country; but clearly hyperbolic predictions of gloom and doom are unwarranted.

Last edited:
I know the Supreme Court disagrees. How much experience do you think the Supreme Court has at teaching unruly teenagers in High School? I'm guessing about zero years.
I would say they have an abundance of experience as to what is or is not Constitutional concerning the First Amendment – which is all that’s at issue.

And however reckless and irresponsible you might perceive it to be, it is neither the Court’s role nor responsibility to make teaching easier for public schools.

That doesn’t mean schools are at the mercy of unruly students; it means schools will need to find countermeasures to any possible disruption that are consistent with First Amendment case law.

Rule number two is that kids don't always have rights, that their parents have their responsibilities and their rights.

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

"The post featured a picture of her and a friend raising their middle fingers, with a profanity-laden caption voicing her displeasure at cheerleading, school, softball and "everything.""

Imagine now. Kids are literally allowed to do and say anything they like about the school, outside of school. This will make teaching kids more difficult than it already is. It's going to be another nail in the coffin of the US.

Freedom comes with responsibilities. Clearly this girl doesn't know this, nor does the Supreme Court.

Rights without responsibilities are just tipping the balance of society over into some kind of hell.
oh fuck you,,
kids have been cussing their schools and everything else since the beginning of time,,,

maybe its youre just to much of a pussy to deal with reality,,

We're not talking about kids cussing their schools.....

We're talking about them cussing their schools and then PUBLISHING IT.
OH BOO FUCKING HOO,,,

grow a spine and quit being such a pussy,,

I think this is the wrong thread for you. This thread is for people who want to discuss the issue. Not do what you're doing.
I'm offended and don't feel safe
You've been reported
Report to the diversity and inclusion officers office

Euro centric white supremacist!
I'm offended and I don't feel safe
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
He needs to shut up .....

I can't wait till they starve useful idiots to death

What?

You haven't heard the line I'm offended and I don't feel safe ..or how it's been widely used

Never mind then

Continue living under your rock

Again, in this particular case.

The Court has not given students carte blanche to engage in disruptive behavior anytime, in any manner, and in any place; it has provided schools with a legal criterion upon which to determine if disciplinary action is warranted – and Constitutional.

I have no idea what impact the ruling might have on the country; but clearly hyperbolic predictions of gloom and doom are unwarranted.

Tell that to teenage students and teachers.

You don't want hyperbole, I'm a teacher.

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

oh fuck you,,
kids have been cussing their schools and everything else since the beginning of time,,,

OH BOO FUCKING HOO,,,

I think this is the wrong thread for you. This thread is for people who want to discuss the issue. Not do what you're doing.
You've been reported

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What?

You haven't heard the line I'm offended and I don't feel safe ..or how it's been widely used

Never mind then

I'm not sure I care as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with sensible conversation.

Take a look at Clayton Jones for sensible talk.

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

oh fuck you,,

OH BOO FUCKING HOO,,,

You've been reported

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What?

Never mind then

I'm not sure I care as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with sensible conversation.

Take a look at Clayton Jones for sensible talk.

Oh yes it does

Clayton roflmao

Tell that to teenage students and teachers.
I would – and teachers should understand that as agents of the state the Constitution places limits and restrictions on their authority.

In order for government to place limits and restrictions on citizens’ rights, government must be able to justify doing so with objective, documented evidence – in this case the school administration has failed to do that; speculation that something bad might happen is not objective, documented evidence.

We saw this recently with regard to states seeking to deny same-sex couples access to their marriage contract laws – laws defended with baseless speculation of terrible things that might happen absent objective, documented evidence in support; those laws were invalidated as un-Constitutional as a consequence, just as this school administration’s policy is likewise un-Constitutional.

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

oh fuck you,,

OH BOO FUCKING HOO,,,

I did discuss it and we came to the conclusion youre a soft pussy that doesnt understand the real world and think you can decide what other people can and cant do

Thanks for the thread, Mao.
Great incite into the mind of a statist.

Even federal supremacists are against frigidweirdo. Wow.
He is bringing us all together :huddle:

So, 8-1, I was SHOCKED.

She was not at school when she made or posted her comments. It didn‘t cause a significant disruption in the school or it’s ability to function in the capacity of an institute of learning. The school that Is funded by the government could not impose its restrictions because as such it exceeds its boundaries regarding free speech. There were no threats but a very negative opinion of what she thought of the school’s process of selecting cheerleaders.

She posed no threat but I am sure it pissed off a couple teachers and being upset with an opinion is not a reason to try to suppress free peace.

Forum List

Back