Fred Thompson Gears Up

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Since the first reports started surfacing that Fred Thompson might be considering a run for the Presidency, I've been reading just about everything I can about the man. So far I have to say, I like what I see.

To date, I have not been overly thrilled with the choices either party has offered up to the American public. Neither party, IMO, is giving us anything to be excited about.

My ideal candidates?

On the Democrat side, I don't have many issues with Bill Richardson, he has a lot of experience, congressional, executive and foreign policy. Mark Warner has done well with governing Virginia, a majority Republican state. Evan Bayh is a nice centrist candidate I might be able to get with. Any one of these three might be able to swing my vote.

On the Republican side, Chuck Hagel harkens back to the traditional conservative who wants to reduce the scope of the federal government and give more control to the states and while I don't agree with him on the issue of abortion, I am of the opinion that Roe V. Wade is here to stay. I like Fred Thompson, though he will betaken to task for the work he did on behalf of Scooter Libby. From what I've read he was/is in politics for the right reasons. Another possible I like is Ron Paul. I like what I've read about him so far,though he is more Libertarian than Republican (he ran as the Libertarian presidential candidate in 1988).

So, to the subject of this thread...

I was quite pleased to come across this article at The Politco:

Fred Thompson Gears Up
By: Mike Allen
April 6, 2007 03:11 PM EST

Fred Thompson, the “Law & Order” actor and former senator from Tennessee, has moved beyond pondering a bid for the White House and begun assembling the nucleus of a campaign should he decide to run, according to people involved in the effort.

Thompson has not yet decided to seek the Republican presidential nomination. But “he is getting more serious every day,” said an adviser familiar with Thompson's plans.

Thompson’s coming-out as a candidate-in-waiting will be a May 4 appearance at the 45th annual dinner of the Lincoln Club of Orange County in the heart of Ronald Reagan country in Southern California. The invitation was widely sought by aspiring Republicans, and his advisers expect considerable media attention around the visit. But there are no plans now for an announcement then.

Thompson will also stoke speculation with a meeting of House Republicans April 18 at the Capitol Hill Club, organized by Rep Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.), the most vocal promoter of a Thompson candidacy. More than 60 House Republicans have indicated they want to come to hear the former senator, according to organizers.

Though Thompson has shown well in some polls since he said he was actively considering a presidential bid, the hurdles to such a late start are many. And some people who worked with him in the Senate question his willingness to do the brutal work of a national campaign. But friends and advisers say Thompson has been buoyed by the response so far at a time when many Republicans are openly expressing disappointment with their presidential field.

“The outreach to him has been so overwhelming that he is now starting to talk to people to really calibrate what it would take to run a successful campaign,’’ the adviser said. “He’s talking to some of the top unaligned strategists and fundraisers. He’s said: ‘I’m seriously considering it, and I’m happy to hear your thoughts and ideas.’”

Thompson will not make a final decision until at least May and may delay any announcement until even later because he recognizes the benefits of being “a non-candidate candidate,” according to advisers.

“As soon as you announce, they start throwing spitballs, so why not wait?” said a Thompson friend involved in the discussions...

...complete article

As a registered Republican, one who considers himself a moderate conservative, all I can say is, RUN FRED, RUN! Please.

I love a good fur ball. Only in the primaries can two people from the same party vilify each other only to kiss, make up, and become best friends after the nominations.

It's too late for Fred. He hasn't announced. He has little or no money.

Too bad, I would have liked to see how he did against the mainstream candidates.

I love a good fur ball. Only in the primaries can two people from the same party vilify each other only to kiss, make up, and become best friends after the nominations.

It's too late for Fred. He hasn't announced. He has little or no money.

Too bad, I would have liked to see how he did against the mainstream candidates.

I wouldn't count Fred out just yet. He has polled a solid third behind Giuliani and McCain and McCain seems to be foundering to some degree. Mitt will have a whole set of issues, wrongly in my opinion, with being a Mormon. Thompson's biggest hurdle will be getting the financial backers as most of the big checkbooks have already made commitments to those who have announced. Remember, there are still 19 mothsto go, plenty of time for a groundswell of support to push him to the forefront. At the very least, a Thompson run could put the spotlight on issues that might otherwise be ignored, he could help frame the debates.

I wouldn't count Fred out just yet. He has polled a solid third behind Giuliani and McCain and McCain seems to be foundering to some degree. Mitt will have a whole set of issues, wrongly in my opinion, with being a Mormon. Thompson's biggest hurdle will be getting the financial backers as most of the big checkbooks have already made commitments to those who have announced. Remember, there are still 19 mothsto go, plenty of time for a groundswell of support to push him to the forefront. At the very least, a Thompson run could put the spotlight on issues that might otherwise be ignored, he could help frame the debates.

You hit the nail on the head. He can help frame the debates. 19 months is a lifetime to an infant, almost a lifetime to a kid itching to graduate HS, not really long for longevity on the job, and an eyeblink on a political campaign.

If he declares, he has so much fundraising and deal making to do that I honestly don't think he has a chance.

I'd like to be wrong since I am not impressed with any candidate now. I like Tommy somebody or others message, but he also has no chance.

Tommy Thompson, former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and the 42nd Governor of Wisconsin.

Yeah that's him. Heard him on a radio talk show. Sounds great on paper, but Like Fred, he simply is too late and short on cash.

Forum List

Back