Freaking Oscars did it to me again…..Banshees

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Made me waste Two Hours of my life

Last year it was watching a dreadfully boring movie called Power of the Dog. I didn’t think they could pick a worse movie.

Well, they just did it to me again. This years “winner” is an Irish film called the Banshees of Inisherin
Set in Ireland in the 1920’s it tells the story of two friends and one decides he does not want to talk to the other. The first half hour is the one friend obsessing over why this guy won’t talk to him. Finally, the grumpy friend tells him he is dull and doesn’t want to waste his time on him.
So of course the guy keeps obsessing and keeps talking

So, finally the grumpy guy tells him if you keep talking to me, I will cut off one of my fingers. Then, if you don’t stop I will cut off the rest.

At first, he stops talking to him but eventually starts talking again. So the grumpy guy cuts off a finger and throws it at his front door.
So this finally gets him to stop talking….for a while
Then he apologizes to the grumpy guy who then cuts off four more fingers and throws them at his house.

Problem is, the talkers favorite donkey eats the fingers and dies.
So the grieving talker burns the guys house down.

I am not making this up. This is the ridiculous plot that top critics think is the best film of the year.

Last year it was watching a dreadfully boring movie called Power of the Dog. I didn’t think they could pick a worse movie.

Well, they just did it to me again. This years “winner” is an Irish film called the Banshees of Inisherin
Set in Ireland in the 1920’s it tells the story of two friends and one decides he does not want to talk to the other. The first half hour is the one friend obsessing over why this guy won’t talk to him. Finally, the grumpy friend tells him he is dull and doesn’t want to waste his time on him.

So, finally the grumpy guy tells him if you keep talking to me, I will cut off one of my fingers. Then, if you don’t stop I will cut off the rest.

At first, he stops talking to him but eventually starts talking again. So the grumpy guy cuts off a finger and throws it at his front door.
Then he apologizes to the grumpy guy who then cuts off four more fingers and throws them at his house.

I am not making this up. This is the ridiculous plot that top critics think is the best film of the year.

It was a very good film. I saw it and enjoyed it immensely.

ah dark humor is not for everyone rightwinger seems you and my hubby agree on this movie...the scene after the donkey dies where he is petting the dog...hubby is going...they kill the dog and we are outta here

my biggest question...they showed the long house the brother and sister shared...but they shared a bedroom? that was kinda sick

one has to consider movie wise ...not much has gone on lately....i have seen some really terrible movies of late...it was well acted and the scenery was kick ass....i mean really ..where the crawdads sing....just boring..i never could figure out why the main character had to take a boat etc to get anywhere but all her family members just walk down the trail and away they went...then we got black phone...was anyone scared? anyone? and the northman? that was just a wtf movie...and batman...hubby dragged me to that...i am not a batman fan at all...death on the nile was decent...scream was not...

so rightwinger i have no idea who was up for what...as i have a bad case of dont give a fuck of late

Your problem OP is that your judgement -- as usual-- seems poor . Charitably.

Naturally your enjoyment is paramount to you . End of .

But in the wider scheme of things , what you appear to lack is good taste and good judgement .

Of course there is always the remote possibility that the vast majority ( 95+% ? ) are wrong , but I would not want to bet on that , whatever the odds .
Life is broadly about Quality, good taste and timeless truth

Makes you think . Well , it does for some of us.

The movie received nine nominations at the 95th Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director (for McDonagh), Best Actor (for Farrell), Best Supporting Actor (for both Gleeson and Keoghan), Best Supporting Actress (for Condon) and Best Original Screenplay.[9]

It also had eight nominations at the 80th Golden Globe Awards, winning three Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Actor – Musical or Comedy (for Farrell), and Best Screenplay.

ah dark humor is not for everyone rightwinger seems you and my hubby agree on this movie...the scene after the donkey dies where he is petting the dog...hubby is going...they kill the dog and we are outta here

my biggest question...they showed the long house the brother and sister shared...but they shared a bedroom? that was kinda sick

I didn’t see any humor to it
I just kept asking myself…..why am I watching this?

Your problem OP is that your judgement -- as usual-- seems poor . Charitably.

Naturally your enjoyment is paramount to you . End of .

But in the wider scheme of things , what you appear to lack is good taste and good judgement .

Of course there is always the remote possibility that the vast majority ( 95+% ? ) are wrong , but I would not want to bet on that , whatever the odds .
Life is broadly about Quality, good taste and timeless truth

Makes you think . Well , it does for some of us.

The movie received nine nominations at the 95th Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director (for McDonagh), Best Actor (for Farrell), Best Supporting Actor (for both Gleeson and Keoghan), Best Supporting Actress (for Condon) and Best Original Screenplay.[9]

It also had eight nominations at the 80th Golden Globe Awards, winning three Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Actor – Musical or Comedy (for Farrell), and Best Screenplay.
That is why I watched it….I thought it had to be good

Can you explain what you enjoyed about Banchees?

Sounds dreadful. I’ve seen some of the nominations:

- Top Gun (awesome)
- Avatar (beautiful visually decent story)
- Triangle of Sadness (weird but really liked)
- Elvis (not my thing)
- Everything, Everywhere all at one (amazed I hope it wins)

Did not see:
- Women talking ( seems like a snore)
- Tar (will see soon)
-All quiet on WF (will see soon)
- Fablemans (not my thing)
-Banshees (nope)

Sounds dreadful. I’ve seen some of the nominations:

- Top Gun (awesome)
- Avatar (beautiful visually decent story)
- Triangle of Sadness (weird but really liked)
- Elvis (not my thing)
- Everything, Everywhere all at one (amazed I hope it wins)

Did not see:
- Women talking ( seems like a snore)
- Tar (will see soon)
-All quiet on WF (will see soon)
- Fablemans (not my thing)
-Banshees (nope)

I enjoyed Top Gun and thought it better than the original
Elvis was good but I thought Tom Hanks was creepy
All Quiet, though subtitled, was an excellent movie
Like I said, Banchees was just painful to watch

Havent seen the rest

It's not the Oscar's fault you're stupid

Those people are all leftists and their minds are fried. But I'll keep posting untill your fingers are gone.

IN CONTRAST, Everything Everywhere All at Once is riotously great.

I'd also recommend the Menu and Glass Onion if you haven't seen them.
Watching Daniel Craig shout in a deep southern accent "He is a MORON!" just makes the movie for me.

It had great reviews but also appeared to have a sad ending from reviews so passed.

Forum List

Back