Freaking Oscars did it to me again…..Banshees

Sounds dreadful. I’ve seen some of the nominations:

- Top Gun (awesome)
- Avatar (beautiful visually decent story)
- Triangle of Sadness (weird but really liked)
- Elvis (not my thing)
- Everything, Everywhere all at one (amazed I hope it wins)

Did not see:
- Women talking ( seems like a snore)
- Tar (will see soon)
-All quiet on WF (will see soon)
- Fablemans (not my thing)
-Banshees (nope)
OK Oscars did it to me again
I watched an hour of Everything, Everywhere, all at once…the Oscar darling

Again, made me ask…WTF???

Just too bizarre
Not good bizarre but strange I just couldn’t get into
Didn‘t get three Best Actor nominations…..they just weren‘t that compelling
Bailed after an hour…45 minutes more than it deserved

Last edited:

Just too bizarre
If you only saw an hour it only got weirder after that. I liked it a lot but saw it on the big screen. Wife thought it was ok.

You might like Triangle of Sadness. It’s not as weird as the two you didn’t like. Hard to describe but eventually it turns into a subtle adult Lord of the flies with a twist to it. I know.. hard to explain.

If you only saw an hour it only got weirder after that. I liked it a lot but saw it on the big screen. Wife thought it was ok.

You might like Triangle of Sadness. It’s not as weird as the two you didn’t like. Hard to describe but eventually it turns into a subtle adult Lord of the flies with a twist to it. I know.. hard to explain.
I would like to watch Tar and Fablemans

Films like Top Gun, Avatar and Elvis are only included to get people to watch the boring ceremony
I expect a sweep for “Everything”…….I can’t see why

Other than Top Gun and Avatar….I don’t see many of these movies you would like to watch again, let alone 20 years from now

Last edited:
I put off watching it, but Bonzi really wanted to see it, so we watched it last night.
What the bloody hell?
Acting - fantastic, cinematography - solid... storyline... absolutely stupid.
Who in the world sat in a chair one day and thought up such a dumb story?
On 100 levels the story is a complete bomb.
I tried listening to you rightwinger ... but she wanted to see it.. and thus, I also completely wasted 2 hours of my life.

I put off watching it, but Bonzi really wanted to see it, so we watched it last night.
What the bloody hell?
Acting - fantastic, cinematography - solid... storyline... absolutely stupid.
Who in the world sat in a chair one day and thought up such a dumb story?
On 100 levels the story is a complete bomb.
I tried listening to you rightwinger ... but she wanted to see it.. and thus, I also completely wasted 2 hours of my life.

Did Bonzi like it?

I only watched because of the Oscar Buzz
I made it through the first 40 minutes and finally said “this is just too stupid” A week or so later I was flipping channels and watched the last 15 minutes thinking maybe it had a great ending….it didn’t.

Do movies about Asians really have to devolve into Kung Fu scenes? The segments with butt plugs, dildos, Googly eyes and hot dog fingers were just stupid.

Makes you think the writers were on LSD and thought it was hysterically funny. I don’t know what the critics watched.

Ten years from now, the movie will be un watched

Did Bonzi like it?

I only watched because of the Oscar Buzz
I made it through the first 40 minutes and finally said “this is just too stupid” A week or so later I was flipping channels and watched the last 15 minutes thinking maybe it had a great ending….it didn’t.

Do movies about Asians really have to devolve into Kung Fu scenes? The segments with butt plugs, dildos, Googly eyes and hot dog fingers were just stupid.

Makes you think the writers were on LSD and thought it was hysterically funny. I don’t know what the critics watched.

Ten years from now, the movie will be un watched
She said the same as me basically - the acting was pretty good, but the story was so absurd it was impossible to care about it.

She said the same as me basically - the acting was pretty good, but the story was so absurd it was impossible to care about it.

Ten years from now, people will watch it and say……What were they thinking?

Ten years from now, people will watch it and say……What were they thinking?
For sure... just like the movie "Shape of Water".
Won a million awards. But it was an equally absurd story, and thus no one watches it a second time.
IMDb shows the "popularity" scale of movies, and shape of water is almost a complete vertical drop after it's inception.

I thought Colin Farrell was completely miscast. He just doesn't come across as a dimwitted simpleton.

One of the best revenge movies ever.

The best revenge movie ever is ...

Kill-Bill-Vol-1-e1556718305502.jpg

I thought Colin Farrell was completely miscast. He just doesn't come across as a dimwitted simpleton.
Well Brendan Gleeson is not very believable as a completely insane lunatic either.

A better casting would have been Gary Oldman as the man who hates his fingers, and maybe Giamatti playing the dullard.

Well Brendan Gleeson is not very believable as a completely insane lunatic either.

A better casting would have been Gary Oldman as the man who hates his fingers, and maybe Giamatti playing the dullard.
Another completely stupid movie

Made me waste Two Hours of my life

Last year it was watching a dreadfully boring movie called Power of the Dog. I didn’t think they could pick a worse movie.

Well, they just did it to me again. This years “winner” is an Irish film called the Banshees of Inisherin
Set in Ireland in the 1920’s it tells the story of two friends and one decides he does not want to talk to the other. The first half hour is the one friend obsessing over why this guy won’t talk to him. Finally, the grumpy friend tells him he is dull and doesn’t want to waste his time on him.
So of course the guy keeps obsessing and keeps talking

So, finally the grumpy guy tells him if you keep talking to me, I will cut off one of my fingers. Then, if you don’t stop I will cut off the rest.

At first, he stops talking to him but eventually starts talking again. So the grumpy guy cuts off a finger and throws it at his front door.
So this finally gets him to stop talking….for a while
Then he apologizes to the grumpy guy who then cuts off four more fingers and throws them at his house.

Problem is, the talkers favorite donkey eats the fingers and dies.
So the grieving talker burns the guys house down.

I am not making this up. This is the ridiculous plot that top critics think is the best film of the year.
Saw the previews. It looked like a very well make movie but the story did sound like something I would like. Thanks for review. I will probably skip it.
Banshee got a lot of nominations but won nothing.

I saw Power of the Dog and had mix feelings about. Although the story was good, the acting ok, and cinematography was great, the timing in the scene was not quite right. In a movie with little action, the scene need to be snappy but often they drug which made the movie a bit boring. I didn't hate it but I didn't enjoy it.

IN CONTRAST, Everything Everywhere All at Once is riotously great.

I'd also recommend the Menu and Glass Onion if you haven't seen them.
Watching Daniel Craig shout in a deep southern accent "He is a MORON!" just makes the movie for me.
Saw him in Knives Out and loved his performance. Sure glad he stopped making Bond movies, not that he was bad in them but he can do a lot better with better material.

Just too bizarre
Didn‘t get three Best Actor nominations…..they just weren‘t that compelling
Bailed after an hour…45 minutes more than it deserved
The first time I watched Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, I wasn't able to connect with the story, probably because I wasn't paying much attention. However, watching it a second time, I realize that there wasn't a lot story to connect to but a lot of symbolism and a message. The two rocks for example represent Evelyn and her daughter, not sure about the great bagel. According to The Daniels who made the movie, "the central message is about the importance of kindness. Despite all the inter-dimensional weirdness, there's a genuine emotional pay-off to Everything Everywhere All At Once. In the film, the existence of a multiverse turns Evelyn and Joy into nihilists. If anything is possible, then nothing matters."

I'm glad there are movies like this in which you have to think about the meaning of what you are watching rather than just soak up a story. However, I'm also glad that there aren't many like this because I enjoy a good story and don't want to be constantly thinking about the meaning of what I'm seeing.

I'm glad there are movies like this in which you have to think about the meaning of what you are watching rather than just soak up a story.

It has been over analyzed
In a nutshell….it is just silly

Forum List

Back