Frank Lloyd Wright -The Welshman who became Americas greatest architect

I'm reminded of a running joke from the original Star Trek, with the Pavel Checkov character claiming everything as a Russian invention, which gave rise of a stereotype of Russians in general trying to claim Russian inventorship of things clearly invented elsewhere.

Perhaps Tainted Tommy is trying to go for a Welsh counterpart to that. If so, then it should be clear that Tainted Tommy is no Walter Koenig, not worthy to polish Koenig's shoes.

The high back chairs. I like the very straight wood lines from the top to the bottom. The table is cool.

I don't know that I would want that table for myself because it has a very austere feeling. I think that it is the overall feel of the room and it's reserved for "company".
Like much of Frank Lloyd Wright, that table shows no concern for the functionality of a table or the comfort of those having to use it.

His houses are the same way. Works of art? Yes
Homes you would want to live in? Not so much

Like much of Frank Lloyd Wright, that table shows no concern for the functionality of a table or the comfort of those having to use it.

His houses are the same way. Works of art? Yes
Homes you would want to live in? Not so much
The buildings and homes are from an entirely different time period. I like him far more than I. M. Pei or a half dozen other "modernist" architects. Like here: How Columbus, Indiana, Became a Mecca for Modernist Architecture | Artsy

What in that table makes it look like something you would want to sit in?

View attachment 662656

Here is a better picture.

1656288560974.png

I doubt if he ever set foot in Wales.

The idea of anyone claiming that he was a Welshman is absurd. He was an American, and never of any other nationality.
His visit to Wales is actually part of the artile in the OP that you havent bothered to read.
It also discusses the Welsh influences on his work.
Educate yourself.

This is the classic misunderstanding of America by a foreigner living abroad.

A Chinese family could move to a large Welsh city, and five generations later, their descendants would still be "those Chinese people."

Whether FLW ruled or sucked as an architect, I have no opinion on. But rule or suck, he did it as an United States of American.

Nothing against the Welsh, my last name is Welsh, so I assume some ancestor of mine made the trip that Tommy longs to build the courage for.
Wales is a large family and anybody can be Welsh. Its a state of mind.
This is how we treat refugees.

mind.

Yeah.

How many Latin Americans do you allow to cross your border per day?

What percent of the population of Wales is nonwhite?
It isnt something that we obsess about. We dont see ourselves as some sort of master race like the American right.

That Urdd centre where the Ukranians are staying looks amazing. I would pay to go there.

I'm reminded of a running joke from the original Star Trek, with the Pavel Checkov character claiming everything as a Russian invention, which gave rise of a stereotype of Russians in general trying to claim Russian inventorship of things clearly invented elsewhere.

Perhaps Tainted Tommy is trying to go for a Welsh counterpart to that. If so, then it should be clear that Tainted Tommy is no Walter Koenig, not worthy to polish Koenig's shoes.
I can see that you wouldnt want to celebrate your wierd religious heritage. With its incest and interbred sexual deviancy. Its very dark.

It isnt something that we obsess about. We dont see ourselves as some sort of master race like the American right.

That Urdd centre where the Ukranians are staying looks amazing. I would pay to go there.
It's less than five percent. No need to wonder if you are a master race, when you're the only race around.

I'm sure you are happy to get Ukrainians so that you have an excuse not to accept nonwhites. Maybe if they change their names to Rhys and Catrin Reeser, they can be accepted in only five or six generations.

I doubt if he ever set foot in Wales.

The idea of anyone claiming that he was a Welshman is absurd. He was an American, and never of any other nationality.
Back in the day people would call themselves Irish-American, German-American, Italian-American and so on, so you do know people do honor their roots of where their family came from…

Back in the day people would call themselves Irish-American, German-American, Italian-American and so on, so you do know people do honor their roots of where their family came from…

Not anyone I know.

So far as I know, my immigrant ancestor same from England. But I do not consider myself an Anglo-American or a Euro-American, or any other hyphenated half-baked American. I'm an American, plain and simple. MY allegiance is to this country, and this country alone. I was born here, have lived all my life here, will surely die here, and whatever is done with my mortal remains will be surely done here, just as with all of my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.

It's more of a statement piece. For me, a bit too tall. That design, but with a scaled down backrest is still popular.
Mission style. The difference is that Arts and Crafts period furniture is done by hand which is why it was so cool.

Not anyone I know.

So far as I know, my immigrant ancestor same from England. But I do not consider myself an Anglo-American or a Euro-American, or any other hyphenated half-baked American. I'm an American, plain and simple. MY allegiance is to this country, and this country alone. I was born here, have lived all my life here, will surely die here, and whatever is done with my mortal remains will be surely done here, just as with all of my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.
Yes, I have an ancestor who was a Scotsman on a British merchant ship and jumped ship in Galveston. Based on my skin color and the names of my relatives, I believe that the rest of my ancestors have similar stories of escaping the cesspool that was (and is) Europe.

Just in time, too. My uncle flew over Europe in WWII, trying to convince them to start acting civilized. Domesticated would be more like it.

Europeans are normally as docile as farm animals, but a couple of times per century, some of them go feral and need to be put down.

Little known only ever gas station designed by Wright in Cloquet,Mn, south of Duluth.
I drive by it several times each year heading north.
download (62).jpeg

Only two pumps.
Hardly a design of the future.

Forum List

Back