Frank Lloyd Wright -The Welshman who became Americas greatest architect

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Our gift to America. Interesting article.

Actually, I never was fond of his architecture

I like the Guggenheim and Falling waters

But his structures were not that livable

He's not from Wales, he's from Wisconsin...

In what way was he a Welshman?

He was born in America, lived all his life in America, died in America, and was buried in America. Everything he did to contribute to the world, was done as an American.

Only in your most bizarre dreams would a Welshman ever contribute as much to the world as this man, who was purely an American, did in his life.

His heritage was Welsh and it played an important part in his family identity. It’s no different than those who identify as Latino despite several generations in the U.S.

I doubt if he ever set foot in Wales.

The idea of anyone claiming that he was a Welshman is absurd. He was an American, and never of any other nationality.

I doubt if he ever set foot in Wales.

The idea of anyone claiming that he was a Welshman is absurd. He was an American, and never of any other nationality.
:dunno: I just looked him up and it said his mothers family was Welsh. Nothing wrong with cI’m eme rating it. We have our “Sons of Italy” and Italian Heritage festivals where I am for examp,e.

What a fucking joke. His shit is all over the place here in Phoenix area. We even have a street named after him. But his homes and buildings are a complete mess, they look more like horrible modern art.

I am about a mile from this Wright designed house right now. It's in Montecito on Hot Springs Road.

1656275050839.png

I like the flat roof designs with huge windows best.

I love stucco. This is stucco with a tie. I wouldn't buy it but it's nice to look at. I prefer Greek white stucco and falling in second place are the stucco houses in the southwest.

His heritage was Welsh and it played an important part in his family identity. It’s no different than those who identify as Latino despite several generations in the U.S.

But he was not a "Welshman" as the title suggests. He was an American of Welsh decent. Just as I am an American of Irish (and, I believe, Dutch) decent.

This is the classic misunderstanding of America by a foreigner living abroad.

A Chinese family could move to a large Welsh city, and five generations later, their descendants would still be "those Chinese people."

Whether FLW ruled or sucked as an architect, I have no opinion on. But rule or suck, he did it as an United States of American.

Nothing against the Welsh, my last name is Welsh, so I assume some ancestor of mine made the trip that Tommy longs to build the courage for.

What in that table makes it look like something you would want to sit in?

View attachment 662656
The high back chairs. I like the very straight wood lines from the top to the bottom. The table is cool.

I don't know that I would want that table for myself because it has a very austere feeling. I think that it is the overall feel of the room and it's reserved for "company".

Forum List

Back