Founding Fathers' words on the second amendment!

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is in their own words. Still have a question as to the meaning of the second amendment?

The Constitution [shall] be never construed to ... prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -Samuel Adams, Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it. -Samuel Adams

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776

...[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them. -Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead."
(Chancelor's Speech, 1935)

"The most foolish mistake we could make would be to allow the subject peoples to
possess arms. So let's not have any talk about native militias." (Hitler's Secret Conversations,
1941-44, Farrar, Strauss and Young, 1953)

Hitler was for gun control

Look how well gun-control worked for him

I've been giving some thoughts to these debates about gun control in the US (given recent events), and I can see both sides of the argument (even as a Brit, where we have probably the most stringent gun laws in the world. e.g. 5 years mandatory for possession of a handgun). (Interesting look into the English origin of 2nd amendment here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I could look at it as 'If only one of those students or professors had been armed', which is indeed a very good argument, and I guess this is where the difference lies in culture between us in Europe and you in America. Guns have become so ingrained in your psyche that the thought or even the possibility of ever getting rid of them has become inconceivable.

But I am still left with a distinct feeling that the 2nd amendment as framed by the founding fathers is not applicable today.

In 1776 the only arms that were available were bow, swords, pistols, musket and cannon. All the fired weapons among them were single shot, which required at least 10-30 seconds reload time. That amount of time is so great that it would make the Virginia Tech events impossible. Given these facts is it not likely that your Bill of Rights may be out of date and in need of changing?

But I am still left with a distinct feeling that the 2nd amendment as framed by the founding fathers is not applicable today.

In 1776 the only arms that were available were bow, swords, pistols, musket and cannon. All the fired weapons among them were single shot, which required at least 10-30 seconds reload time. That amount of time is so great that it would make the Virginia Tech events impossible. Given these facts is it not likely that your Bill of Rights may be out of date and in need of changing?

It is every bit as applicle today as then. We the People then, fought against a tyrannical government. Sure, we used more primative weapons, but so did the people we were fighting. Today we have a tyranical government that is not armed with bows, swords, pistols, musket and cannon. We the People must remain armed with modern weapons.

It is without a doubt that this imitation US government will attempt to take away guns from We the People, most likey using the guise of Martial Law and foriegn troops. It is without a doubt that will lead to massive bloodshed.

It is without a doubt that this imitation US government will attempt to take away guns from We the People, most likey using the guise of Martial Law and foriegn troops. It is without a doubt that will lead to massive bloodshed.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about ur government. That's a whole different can of worms. I was only going on about the difference between what might have been intended by the founding fathers (the militia and defense of borders and civil unrest in a young unstable country) and the situation now, which is completely different.

PS Paul: he said 'the regulars are coming' not the 'redcoats': yes ;)

Sorry, I wasn't talking about ur government. That's a whole different can of worms. I was only going on about the difference between what might have been intended by the founding fathers (the militia and defense of borders and civil unrest in a young unstable country) and the situation now, which is completely different.

PS Paul: he said 'the regulars are coming' not the 'redcoats': yes ;)

Do not try and reason with Paul the troll

He is beyond all hope

I was accused of being a troll once (obviously) so I quite like them :D. They(we/I) serve a purpose... I hope...

What purpose Paul serves is unknown

Other then he craves for attention that his Mommy and Daddy did not give him

Paul the troll and more of his kook websites

You have become very BORING son

You don't read the articles you cut and paste, so I would not expect you to open links that I provide. I do believe that the folks with IQ's greater than ten might care to read them. Especially when it comes to a hard core fact that the person occupying the White House and holding our very fate in his hands, has a family history of support for Hitler. This is documented in the Library of Congress. Bush and his mis-administration have embarrassed the policies implemented by Hitler, given them patriotic sounding names so idiots like you will bark and clap like trained seals.

Here is a short 9 minute clip concerning the Bush family's connections to Hitler:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8795795223394289910&q=bush+hitler&hl=en

You don't read the articles you cut and paste, so I would not expect you to open links that I provide. I do believe that the folks with IQ's greater than ten might care to read them. Especially when it comes to a hard core fact that the person occupying the White House and holding our very fate in his hands, has a family history of support for Hitler. This is documented in the Library of Congress. Bush and his mis-administration have embarrassed the policies implemented by Hitler, given them patriotic sounding names so idiots like you will bark and clap like trained seals.

Here is a short 9 minute clip concerning the Bush family's connections to Hitler:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8795795223394289910&q=bush+hitler&hl=en

Paul the troll - more meaningless blather and futile attempts to contribute something

are you suggesting, RSR, that Prescott Bush did not have ties to the Third Reich?

Libs will try to blame Bush for anything and everything

the Kennedy family has a history of underworld ties and bootlegging - does that make Teddy guilty?

Libs will try to blame Bush for anything and everything

the Kennedy family has a history of underworld ties and bootlegging - does that make Teddy guilty?

and you are equating bootlegging to the holocaust? nice touch.

can you answer the question, yes or no? Did Prescott Bush have ties to the Third Reich?

New Topics

Forum List

Back