Debate Now Foundations of Sociopolitical Thought

What's your political stance? Which of these works have you read carefully and completely?

• Conservative; On Liberty

• Conservative; Considerations of Representative Government

• Conservative; Leviathan

• Conservative; Second Treatise of Government

• Conservative; Reflections on the Revolution in France

• Conservative; The Communist Manifesto

• Liberal; On Liberty

• Liberal; Considerations of Representative Government

• Liberal; Leviathan

• Liberal; Second Treatise of Government

• Liberal; Reflections on the Revolution in France

• Liberal; The Communist Manifesto

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; On Liberty

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; Considerations of Representative Government

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I aml; Leviathan

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; Second Treatise of Government

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; Reflections on the Revolution in France

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; The Communist Manifesto

• Conservative or liberal; have read none of them

• Neither conservative nor liberal/don't know what I am; have read none of them

Results are only viewable after voting.

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Thread Rules:
  1. Answer directly the poll questions, both of them. Do so either in the poll itself or in a post.
  2. Directly answer the Thread Discussion Question. Comply with the citation instruction when doing so.

Notice that the Thread Discussion Question asks about dichotomies, not congruences, so do not discuss similarities/congruences.
  3. Respond to, mention, or discuss nothing else.

Poll Questions:
What's your political stance: liberal, conservative or neither/don't know? Which of these works have you read carefully and completely?
  1. On Liberty
  2. Considerations of Representative Government
  3. Leviathan
  4. Second Treatise of Government
  5. Reflections on the Revolution in France
  6. The Communist Manifesto
Note: The poll question above about one's political stance does not ask to what political party one belongs, but rather it is a question about one's political philosophy.

Thread Discussion Question:
If you self-identified as philosophically liberal or conservative, how do you reconcile the dichotomies between the foundational principles articulated in the seminal text(s) that define the philosophical foundations of liberalism/conservatism (whichever philosophy it be to which you ascribe) and the ideology and/or currently (2017 or later) advocated policies of the Liberal or Conservative party with which you have most recently aligned yourself?
  • Cite specific passages from the relevant text(s) when identifying the nature and extent of the dichotomies between your self-selected philosophy and the ideology or specific policy(s) of your self-selected political party.

Note: The poll question above about one's political stance does not ask to what political party one belongs, but rather it is a question about one's political philosophy.

And yet -- I cannot participate. Because what my political philosophy and my party is NOT included in any of this. America is not largely staunch Conservative nor Liberal anymore. No more Buckley/Vidal.. There are hardly ANY "liberals or conservatives" anymore at all in political leadership.. So MY philosophy and party are a hybrid of "The Best OF" both CLASSICALLY defined camps.

Forum List

Back