Found a trailer to build my teardrop camper on...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
$225...no title...but Missouri allows for builders title.

IMG_20210918_150151441.jpg

Wheels are a little farther rearward than optimal...but I believe it will work.

Don't have a fleshed out plan yet...but now that a platform is decided on I'll start working on it.

Thinking about something like this...

Screenshot_20210918-171836.png

They are. My wife's sister and her husband built a classic teardrop and it is wonderful for impromptu camping trips.

I like the more boxy design for mounting a rooftop canoe and bike carrier.
I remember them from the 1950s

1632005698504.jpeg

They are building brand new ones today. I saw quite a few when I went camping last week

Last edited:

View attachment 541069

Don't have a fleshed out plan yet...but now that a platform is decided on I'll start working on it.

View attachment 541071

A lot of people are making them these days.
There's some good info on YouTube. Do you plan on putting in an A/C?

View attachment 541069

View attachment 541071
I built one for my son when he went to work for the national parks in tuscon and then he took it to leadville and lived on BLM land for the next 3 summers,
I used a harbor freight trailer, the next one I will build my own frame and do a woodstrip version using southern yellow pine and redwood

A lot of people are making them these days.
There's some good info on YouTube. Do you plan on putting in an A/C?
Don't know yet. Thought about using an interior portable a/c that I already have...

That was my original plan.

Have to look at a what a woodstrip version looks like... Like a woodstrip canoe?
you can use wider strips with the flat sides,, on a canoe you have to use 1/2 strips,,

I have a huge supply of redwood from old decks and a huge supply of thin strips of yellow pine left over from my window making so I plan to use them both in another canoe and teardrop,,

I just finished a new shop at home and need to be out of my old one by end of the month and plane to not do windows anymore and start doing canoes and teardrops to use up the wood I have,,

after that I have two 5 ft walnut trees to take down and process into lumber and will see where that takes me

Don't know yet. Thought about using an interior portable a/c that I already have...

That'd be plenty for a small camper.
The James Baroud pop up tent that I put on my SxS trailer works very well and it has heat and A/C. The A/C and heater was originally designed for dog kennels but a lot of the home made teardrop campers started using them.
This was the first iteration. I've cleaned up the install since.
You could hang meat in the tent even with temps in the 100's.
5DF706B9-1F67-43B3-A081-20B115212F76.jpeg

That was my original plan.

Have to look at a what a woodstrip version looks like... Like a woodstrip canoe?
I did find out that using that trailer and building it with tractor trailer rear doors (3/4 ply metal) the final weight ended up at 1000 lbs which is to heavy for a teardrop. you want to keep it under 800.
thats why I need to build my own trailers and the one you have should work just strip it down a little,,
all you need is an A frame with 3-4 cross members, the box should support itself,,

on a canoe the strips are 1/4" I was planning on 3/8" for a strip version teardrop, remember to get a bead and cove bit if you do it that way to lock the strips together.

That'd be plenty for a small camper.
The James Baroud pop up tent that I put on my SxS trailer works very well and it has heat and A/C. The A/C and heater was originally designed for dog kennels but a lot of the home made teardrop campers started using them.
This was the first iteration. I've cleaned up the install since.
You could hang meat in the tent even with temps in the 100's.
View attachment 541104
Man... That is cool.

And cold too.

Need more pics of that.

I figured that
I did find out that using that trailer and building it with tractor trailer rear doors (3/4 ply metal) the final weight ended up at 1000 lbs which is to heavy for a teardrop. you want to keep it under 800.
thats why I need to build my own trailers and the one you have should work just strip it down a little,,
all you need is an A frame with 3-4 cross members, the box should support itself,,

on a canoe the strips are 1/4" I was planning on 3/8" for a strip version teardrop, remember to get a bead and cove bit if you do it that way to lock the strips together.

Good advice. Thanks.

I built one for my son when he went to work for the national parks in tuscon and then he took it to leadville and lived on BLM land for the next 3 summers,
I used a harbor freight trailer, the next one I will build my own frame and do a woodstrip version using southern yellow pine and redwood
Damn. BLM hand land back then too ?

New Topics

Forum List

Back