Fossil Fuels Get Half-A-Trillion-Dollar Christmas Present From Taxpayers

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Fossil fuels have dominated the global energy market and even the global economy for a long time. You would think that such mature industries wouldn’t need government subsidies — their annual revenue and profits are mind-boggling. However, with money comes power. And that money-power has a stranglehold on governments of the world such that it convinces governments to give them even more money in subsidies. Another recent study comes to the conclusion that the total annual subsidies fossil fuel companies get from governments in the developed world comes to about half a trillion dollars. This follows a 2010 study from the International Energy Agency that found fossil fuel industries got $550 billion in annual subsidies.
Read more at Fossil Fuels Get Half-A-Trillion-Dollar Christmas Present From Taxpayers | CleanTechnica

fossil-fuel-subsidies-vs-renewable-energy-subsidies.jpg

Last edited:
I saw no specific subsidies listed in the OP or the link.

My bet is that these "subsides" are tax deductions, credits and write-offs that most other industries qualify for.

Deceptive language is no way to get any conversation off on the right foot.

(Subsidy) Aid in the form of money; a grant of public money in aid of some enterprise, industry etc; or to support or keep down the price of a commodity, or from one state to another.​

This is certainly the sense in which I have always understood the word. I would suspect the same is true for most of you. So I would argue that there is something slippery and disingenuous about that claim above that there is no "internationally agreed definition of what constitutes energy subsidy." Yes there is. Everyone – every normal, reasonably well-educated, English-speaking person, at any rate – would know instantly what constitutes "subsidy", regardless of whether or not the word "energy" is put in front of it. It means a cash incentive.

What it definitely doesn't mean is a tax reduction. Why doesn't it mean this? Well, let's examine the logic for a moment. Suppose I were to mug you in the street and steal, say, £100 from you. But then, in a fit of generosity, I decided to hand you back a tenner so you could get a cab home. Could that tenner be reasonably described as a "gift" or a "donation"? Well, yes, I suppose at an enormous stretch, it could just about. "Dono" means "I give" in Latin, so, yes, when I give you back that "tenner" it could be construed as a gift or a donation.

But only by someone lacking in any kind of moral responsibility, or intellectual consistency, or understanding of sense, context and nuance. No sensitive user of the English language would ever employ the word "gift" or "donation" in such a perverted way.

When a tax is not a tax; when a subsidy is not a subsidy: the liberal-left's Orwellian assault on our language ? Telegraph Blogs

Either list the "subsidies " explcitly or get better reading lists.. Because most folks have figured out that hiway maintenance and low income fuel handouts are NOT subsidies to fossil fuel. You're in danger of harming your cause with this garbage....

Everything Matthew enjoys, everything you Green Energy devotees enjoy, all you enjoy comes from fossil fuel.
Everything anyone loves about Christmas is only possible by the use of fossil fuels.

Fossil Fuel is the Christmas gift to mankind

Fossil fuels have dominated the global energy market and even the global economy for a long time. You would think that such mature industries wouldn’t need government subsidies — their annual revenue and profits are mind-boggling. However, with money comes power. And that money-power has a stranglehold on governments of the world such that it convinces governments to give them even more money in subsidies. Another recent study comes to the conclusion that the total annual subsidies fossil fuel companies get from governments in the developed world comes to about half a trillion dollars. This follows a 2010 study from the International Energy Agency that found fossil fuel industries got $550 billion in annual subsidies.
Read more at Fossil Fuels Get Half-A-Trillion-Dollar Christmas Present From Taxpayers | CleanTechnica

What matt seems to not suggest the money is going to muslim countries

The average subsidy provided by rich governments for every tonne of carbon is $7. This is the same as the current cost of carbon in the EU carbon trading system – meaning the carbon price may as well not exist.
Domestic subsidies in rich countries outstrip international climate finance provided to help address climate change in developing countries by a ratio of 7:1.
In some countries – India, Pakistan and Bangladesh – fossil fuel subsidies are more than double the level of spending on health services.
In countries such as Egypt, Pakistan, Morocco and Bangladesh, fossil fuel subsidies outweigh the national fiscal deficit.

This article not prove there are subsidies, it does not even mention what the subsidy is, it does not even mention which countries or how much, there is not even a link to the study they claim is true.

Seems with so many scientists, all the money, all the fact that is Green Energy that you people could at least post something more than political propaganda.

New Topics

Forum List

Back