Fort Worth Shows Why So Many Towns Are Banning Fracking

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Several cities and counties in the U.S. have instituted bans or moratoria on the oil and gas extraction technique of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in recent years and Fort Worth’s experience with urban fracking shows why.

“Fort Worth has been fracked to capacity,” resident Don Young told DeSmog Blog. “There is no turning back. Some days the air is so bad you can’t see downtown.”

Chesapeake Energy began offering $300 and a pizza party for owners of mineral rights in predominantly poor and working class African American neighborhoods in 2003 and encountered little resistance, DeSmog Blogreported. Now Fort Worth has around 2,000 wells.

Residents have been sickened by vapors from drilling operations, found their neighborhoods suddenly ruined by noise and fumes, and had their water sucked up by drilling operations in the middle of severe drought. Five sites were found in 2011 to be emitting pollution above state limits, according to a study commissioned by the Fort Worth City Council, and most of the 388 sites studied released visible emissions.

Right next door to Fort Worth, the Dallas city council is considering letting fracking start up in town with a vote likely to come next week, capping a three-year fight over the future of fracking in the city. Until recently, Dallas had rejected attempts to frack in town, but that stance seems to be over. Current debate is over the distance required between wells and homes or wells and other wells: 1,500 feet or 1,000.

Dallas’ fracking ordinance is being considered just as researchers from Southern Methodist University linked a series of Texas earthquakes to injection of fracking wastewater into the ground. The Fort Worth Basin hadn’t experienced an earthquake prior to 2008, but 2009 and 2010 saw over 50 occur.

Fort Worth Shows Why So Many Towns Are Banning Fracking | ThinkProgress

Fracking is bad. It pollutes the air and fucks with peoples health!:evil:

Fracking causes cancer
Fracking kills animals
Fracking poison water

Fracking is bad....

You see how this works?

so, you're an expert on fracking?
And I guess we should all just stop living so none of those thing's you listed happen, like it's only Fracking that causes it
Here's a suggestion, don't move to that town

Last edited:
Just think...cancer among humans could be totally eliminated in a single generation if every person simply offed themselves.

Pretty much what I was thinking...but don't give these radical environmentalist any ideas...Not that us humans offing ourselves to save the planet and animals isn't on their agenda already

Of course to show their dedication to saving the planet through outlawing fracking they've turned off all the electricity, closed their natural gas valves and parked all vehicles.

Whadda you mean they haven't? What are they, hypocrites or just Obamaesque (liars)?

Fracking is dirty business no doubt. My advice is once fracking starts, time to move out. Its that simple. Nobody with half a brain is going to take the chance of exposing themselves to the possible effects. Fracking is best left to areas of low people density, out in the middle of nowhere. Keep it away from towns. Why is that such a problem for the fracking companies? Not in my back yard should be the law if you ask me. I'm all for drilling, just nowhere within 50 miles of a town.

Its as simple as let towns decide whether they want fracking or not. If the vote is no, then no fracking. If yes, then live, (or die), with the consequences. Pretty simple. But don't give the fracking companies any say in it.

Several cities and counties in the U.S. have instituted bans or moratoria on the oil and gas extraction technique of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in recent years and Fort Worth’s experience with urban fracking shows why.

“Fort Worth has been fracked to capacity,” resident Don Young told DeSmog Blog. “There is no turning back. Some days the air is so bad you can’t see downtown.”

Chesapeake Energy began offering $300 and a pizza party for owners of mineral rights in predominantly poor and working class African American neighborhoods in 2003 and encountered little resistance, DeSmog Blogreported. Now Fort Worth has around 2,000 wells.

Residents have been sickened by vapors from drilling operations, found their neighborhoods suddenly ruined by noise and fumes, and had their water sucked up by drilling operations in the middle of severe drought. Five sites were found in 2011 to be emitting pollution above state limits, according to a study commissioned by the Fort Worth City Council, and most of the 388 sites studied released visible emissions.

Right next door to Fort Worth, the Dallas city council is considering letting fracking start up in town with a vote likely to come next week, capping a three-year fight over the future of fracking in the city. Until recently, Dallas had rejected attempts to frack in town, but that stance seems to be over. Current debate is over the distance required between wells and homes or wells and other wells: 1,500 feet or 1,000.

Dallas’ fracking ordinance is being considered just as researchers from Southern Methodist University linked a series of Texas earthquakes to injection of fracking wastewater into the ground. The Fort Worth Basin hadn’t experienced an earthquake prior to 2008, but 2009 and 2010 saw over 50 occur.

This is just more journalistic smog from thinkprogress.. For readers that dont THINK for themselves..

There is no reason on EARTH to be fracking within the Fort Worth city limits. The amount of resources that puts off the table is ABSOLUTELY MICROSCOPIC.. So go ahead and ban fracking within the city limits. Great idea..

HOWEVER --- anyone with a brain knows that you can drill horizontally several miles.. So IN THEORY --- you could access reserves UNDER the city limits without having a drilling operation IN the city limits..

I'm putting a limit on the thinkprogress links I respond to --- I think they are rotting my brain if I read more than one a day...

These "quakes" are the equivalent of construction blasting or a large thunderclap shaking the ground.
Would be worse damage from living next to a College football stadium on gameday..

Its along the lines of not allowing SUBWAY construction in cities sitting on fault lines. LA had to cut back their plans for city center subway access for the same reasons.. No big deal...

They should continue to frack....in Texas. Let's watch what it does. Should be fun. And it doesn't hurt that my family makes money off of oil rights in Texas.

Forum List

Back