Fort Drum Soldier Charged . . . Allegedly Had 'Ghost Gun'

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
From 7 News

Fort Drum soldier charged; allegedly had ‘ghost gun’ at Black Lives Matter rally

"TROY, N.Y. (WWNY) - A Fort Drum soldier was arrested during a Black Lives Matter rally in Troy, New York - next to Albany - last Sunday.
Authorities say Noah Latham was carrying a loaded “ghost gun” pistol. “Ghost guns” are weapons assembled from parts purchased over the internet, and have no serial number.
Latham was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, second degree, a violent felony. He was first held without bail, but later released with a GPS monitoring device on his ankle. Rensselaer County’s Chief Assistant District Attorney, Matthew Hauf, said Latham is confined to base.
According to Hauf, police detained Latham and several other people wearing “fatigue style clothing” at a parking garage a couple of blocks from police headquarters in downtown Troy, as protesters made their way from a park in that city to the area of the police department and city hall."

From yours truly:

This one seems a bit tricky to understand. From what I can discern the soldier was part of the referenced BLM riot. That being understood (from his social media commentary mentioned in the above article) I'm guessing possession of a home built 80% lower pistol/AR must be illegal under New York law. Otherwise, and unless he was carrying an AR pistol with either/or both an adjustable stock/foregrip which turns it into an SBR (assuming the barrel length was under 16"), then he was doing nothing wrong, according to federal law and the ATF. Now, don't get me wrong—the thought of BLM rioters packing AR firepower is quite disturbing, as weapons of any kind are not required for a REAL/constitutional protest. That being said, I am worried about this soldier's Second Amendment rights being violated and his Army career being over—forever. Technically, he was not a resident of NY (unless he originally was) while serving in the regular army. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Then again, all state laws must be followed wherever a service member is serving . . . but still. To sum up: damn this kid for running with BLM, but damn the local government for demonizing so-called "ghost guns", which are completely legal (with caveats) under FEDERAL law.

He was in NY, and got caught with a weapon he was supposed to register and get a permit for. You're right, while service members may not technically be considered from that state, as where they enlist from is considered their home of record, they STILL have to comply with the rules of that particular state. Same thing if they are deployed overseas, they have to follow the rules of that particular country.

Do I have to register a self-made gun and do I need a permit to own it?

Federal law allows someone to make a firearm for personal use and does not require them to register the weapon or have a gun permit. But New York laws require anyone in possession of certain firearms, especially handguns, to obtain a permit and to register the gun.

I've seen this movie ...

dan.png

He was in NY, and got caught with a weapon he was supposed to register and get a permit for. You're right, while service members may not technically be considered from that state, as where they enlist from is considered their home of record, they STILL have to comply with the rules of that particular state. Same thing if they are deployed overseas, they have to follow the rules of that particular country.

Federal law allows someone to make a firearm for personal use and does not require them to register the weapon or have a gun permit. But New York laws require anyone in possession of certain firearms, especially handguns, to obtain a permit and to register the gun.

Thanks. What wasn't clear to me was whether or not the weapon in question was an actual handgun, one constructed from something like a polymer 80 frame, for example—or an AR pistol. The media rarely get it right these days. I appreciate your input.

Thanks. What wasn't clear to me was whether or not the weapon in question was an actual handgun, one constructed from something like a polymer 80 frame, for example—or an AR pistol. The media rarely get it right these days. I appreciate your input.

So, do you agree with him being arrested? I think he should have been, and am glad he was.

From 7 News

Fort Drum soldier charged; allegedly had ‘ghost gun’ at Black Lives Matter rally

"TROY, N.Y. (WWNY) - A Fort Drum soldier was arrested during a Black Lives Matter rally in Troy, New York - next to Albany - last Sunday.
Authorities say Noah Latham was carrying a loaded “ghost gun” pistol. “Ghost guns” are weapons assembled from parts purchased over the internet, and have no serial number.
Latham was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, second degree, a violent felony. He was first held without bail, but later released with a GPS monitoring device on his ankle. Rensselaer County’s Chief Assistant District Attorney, Matthew Hauf, said Latham is confined to base.
According to Hauf, police detained Latham and several other people wearing “fatigue style clothing” at a parking garage a couple of blocks from police headquarters in downtown Troy, as protesters made their way from a park in that city to the area of the police department and city hall."

From yours truly:

This one seems a bit tricky to understand. From what I can discern the soldier was part of the referenced BLM riot. That being understood (from his social media commentary mentioned in the above article) I'm guessing possession of a home built 80% lower pistol/AR must be illegal under New York law. Otherwise, and unless he was carrying an AR pistol with either/or both an adjustable stock/foregrip which turns it into an SBR (assuming the barrel length was under 16"), then he was doing nothing wrong, according to federal law and the ATF. Now, don't get me wrong—the thought of BLM rioters packing AR firepower is quite disturbing, as weapons of any kind are not required for a REAL/constitutional protest. That being said, I am worried about this soldier's Second Amendment rights being violated and his Army career being over—forever. Technically, he was not a resident of NY (unless he originally was) while serving in the regular army. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Then again, all state laws must be followed wherever a service member is serving . . . but still. To sum up: damn this kid for running with BLM, but damn the local government for demonizing so-called "ghost guns", which are completely legal (with caveats) under FEDERAL law.

I was just talking about the legality of building arms with parts over the Internet, particularly imported, think you have at least ten American parts, but found nothing illegal. That was a thread about something else, but interesting to see the issue come up in media again.

I'd keep that thing I mentioned to you a while back in your mind, remember what I said about I think they're trying to draw out a certain demographic? Maybe, maybe not, but just keep it filed in the back of your mind some place.

From 7 News

From yours truly:

I was just talking about the legality of building arms with parts over the Internet, particularly imported, think you have at least ten American parts, but found nothing illegal. That was a thread about something else, but interesting to see the issue come up in media again.

I'd keep that thing I mentioned to you a while back in your mind, remember what I said about I think they're trying to draw out a certain demographic? Maybe, maybe not, but just keep it filed in the back of your mind some place.

Roger that.

Forum List

Back